So I just picked up an 03 MIM stratocaster. After I purchased it, I noticed one thing that I had a question about, the line that runs down the back of the neck (picture below) on strats wasn't completely flush with the rest of the wood on the neck. For most of the neck it's completely smooth, but around the middle of the neck I can feel where it isn't completely flush with the rest. Is this normal for MIM's? If any strat owners could comment that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Probably just a poor finishing job. Skunkstripe should be flush.

Does the wood on the stripe look proud of the rest of the neck? Or is it the clear coat that is proud?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Probably just a poor finishing job. Skunkstripe should be flush.

Does the wood on the stripe look proud of the rest of the neck? Or is it the clear coat that is proud?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by the stripe looking proud?
Sorry - like sitting above the other wood. Height difference
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I have seen and felt cracks in the finish along the skunk stripe. But in that case it was to the guitar falling over and the neck taking a big hit. Not a good sign, in any way, but pretty common according to a luthier.

I wouldn't buy a guitar that had any kind of problem with the neck, though. The skunk stripe should be completely flush. I do hope there isn't any problem with the truss rod on that neck.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.