I'm going to buy an acoustic electric in 10 days. Like everyone else, I've been searching the on-line sites and my decision has come down to two brands and I would love your input. If given a budget of $1500-$2000 would you choose a Taylor or a Gibson? Both turn me on and both will be fine additions to my collection and fit right in with the Martin I bought a few months ago. Sorry to be so ignorant, but in this case ignorance is truly bliss.
I'd go for a Taylor, without hesitation. Personally, I'm in love with the 320e.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Gibson if you go with the Jumbo body style, Taylor if you don't
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the one that feels and sounds best to you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well thank you for your input. It seems about 50/50 Gibson vs Taylor. I've also done some other work on Youtube and an argument has come to light that completely rules the Taylor out, at least to me. The long range appreciation of the Gibson is gonna be much better than the Taylor's. In fact as far as collectables go, the Taylor didn't even get a mention. One guy even referred to it as a family heirloom; and that appeals to me. Some little booger chewing kid playing Great Uncle Dave's Gibson J-45 in the year 2054 to celebrate old Dave's 100th birthday. Cool huh!! I'm glad I didn't ask for a comparison of Martin and Gibson....then I would be completely FUBARED.
BTW it'll be one lucky little booger snatcher that gets my guitars. So far, and by no means done:
Martin D-28
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Takamine G530 purchased for $200 at the Guitar Center in Atlanta, which has become my favorite, because I call tell the story about the NOW one armed shop attendant when he brought out the hard shell case, included. I tore his arm off reaching for my ATM card.
Soon including the Gibson J-45 we're discussing.
GUESS I BETTER LEARN TO PLAY THEM.
I'm no authority on acoustics but a friend just got a J45 and it is an extremely disappointing guitar, imo. I'm not a Gibson hater but imo it has nothing on some acoustics at a tenth of the price. I would highly suggest playing one first.

I should add, Gibson has been making some damn fine acoustics for a long time.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Oct 24, 2014,
Quote by dave11130
Well thank you for your input. It seems about 50/50 Gibson vs Taylor. I've also done some other work on Youtube and an argument has come to light that completely rules the Taylor out, at least to me. The long range appreciation of the Gibson is gonna be much better than the Taylor's. In fact as far as collectables go, the Taylor didn't even get a mention. One guy even referred to it as a family heirloom; and that appeals to me. Some little booger chewing kid playing Great Uncle Dave's Gibson J-45 in the year 2054 to celebrate old Dave's 100th birthday. Cool huh!! I'm glad I didn't ask for a comparison of Martin and Gibson....then I would be completely FUBARED.

As someone who collects many things, including guitars, I must warn you about basing guitar-buying decisions on future monetary value/long range appreciation. At their core, all collectibles values are based somewhat on human irrationality.

This means that for 99% of all guitars- even good ones- the true "heirloom" value will be in how good an instrument it is.

IF something actually holds absolute value (which means it still loses to inflation) or increases in value over time, it will be because of a combination of extraordinary:

1) quality
2) rarity
3) utility
4) association with a particularly noteworthy person, place, event, etc.

And honestly, a given Taylor in that price range will probably do as well as any other high-profile production guitar in your budget, be it a Gibson, Martin, or whatever, because they are all essentially mass-market goods.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 23, 2014,
Quote by dave11130
(...) the story about the NOW one armed shop attendant when he brought out the hard shell case, included. I tore his arm off reaching for my ATM card.

Wait, what?!?!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
(...) And honestly, a given Taylor in that price range will probably do as well as any other high-profile production guitar in your budget, be it a Gibson, Martin, or whatever, because they are all essentially mass-market goods.

+3,1415
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112