Hi! I want to make a public rehearsing room in my neighborhood, and I need to choose 2 electric guitars..
The guitars needs to be sturdy and of good quality, because many people will play it every day.
Also, it should be good for (most of?) all music genres.. not guitars specific for jazz, metal or such, and easy to maintain!
I need 2 different guitar models

Price Range: About 800$ - 850$ each
Type: no floyd rose please.
Condition: New Guitar (Not used )

What do you think?
Thanks!
Last edited by spidermanman at Oct 22, 2014,
A couple of PRS SE Customs? Or maybe even two used Fender American Strats with a humbucker in the bridge.

Both typically come with a vintage-style trem. Easy to maintain.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Interesting!

If this were my project, I'd aim to cover both singlecoil and humbucker tones. My lists below will cover both, and those that appear on both lists have variations with either or BOTH. All are solidbody guitars. None of the guitars mentioned has a tremolo as a standard feature.

Singlecoil options:
Fender made in Mexico Telecaster
G&L ASAT Tribute
Godin Belmont
Godin Core
Reverend Charger
Reverend Sensei
Reverend Buckshot

Humbucker options:
Fender blacktop Telecaster
G&L ASAT Tribute
Godin Core
Electra Omega
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone SG
Reverend Charger
Reverend Sensei
Reverend Buckshot
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 22, 2014,
This is very interesting. I say get a Squier Vintage Modified Strat and a Epiphone Les Paul Standard. These will probably be well under your budget, but they are very solid guitars.

What country are you in and are you willing to buy used? this can help us narrow down the choices.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's another angle:
I think you'll want to have a Gibson and a Fender.

You'll be promoting this place as a public rehearsal room and it'll send a better message about the quality of your rehearsal space if you have quality gear.

I say the name-brand is going to be important. Find a Gibson Les Paul Studio for one guitar and probably a MiM Fender Telecaster for the other.

That's not to suggest that those are the best dollar to value options, but I think it's more important in this case to borrow brand cachet from Fender and Gibson.
I'd probably get a telecaster and a fat strat

gibsons tend to snap in two if they fall- in an ideal world a tele/SSS strat plus a gibson-style guitar with humbuckers would likely be the ideal, but not much good if the gibson-style guitar is broken in half...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The two most obvious are a Fender Stratocaster-alike and a Les Paul-alike.

I do NOT recommend high-end brand names for several reasons:

1) Unless you've got constant surveillance, you're going to have theft, damage and pilferage issues. You'll find that your high-priced guitar's hardware and pickups have been swapped for something else (or are missing altogether).

2) High-end brand names are usually not the best instruments for the money, particularly in the budgetary ranges you've set

3) Guitars are personal enough that most musicians will (should) bring their own.

4) They'll be a constant maintenance item; budget for monthly (minimum) string replacement and time for setups ("I like higher action, he likes lower action" "I just detuned it to Drop C" "I have acid sweat; I turn strings black in 3-4 hours" "Screw it. It's a rental!"

Do NOT hang these things on the walls. Check them in and out only.
I am going to recommend Fender Telecasters. Probably the easiest guitar to maintain and the most sturdy there is. Stratocaster would also be a good choice. One of both perhaps?

The Blacktop series is in the price range, have humbuckers and will do anything from pop to heavy metal. You do not want fragile guitars like a Gibson SG or Les Paul if many people are going to handle them. Dropping a Les Paul or SG on the headstock is very likely to snap it right off. Nothing against Gibson otherwise, I love their guitars, but it is just the nature of the design.

What's more, Fender probably has one of the best brand recognitions in the industry, and that could perhaps be good to have when you are promoting this place? PRS SE's, like suggested earlier are also fine guitars, but perhaps doesn't have the same recognition as Fenders. With that said, I would also throw in insurance cost and the likelihood of theft in the equation.

Your budget is quite good, which of course is very nice, but you do not have to spend as much as $1000 to buy great instruments. A good PA, vocal mics, amps, drumkit, bass and cables and other things are also needed, and I don't know how you have divided your budget. It costs a lot of money to supply all basic instruments to a rehearsal space, even with entry level stuff.

Quote by dspellman

1) Unless you've got constant surveillance, you're going to have theft, damage and pilferage issues. You'll find that your high-priced guitar's hardware and pickups have been swapped for something else (or are missing altogether).

2) High-end brand names are usually not the best instruments for the money, particularly in the budgetary ranges you've set

3) Guitars are personal enough that most musicians will (should) bring their own.

4) They'll be a constant maintenance item; budget for monthly (minimum) string replacement and time for setups ("I like higher action, he likes lower action" "I just detuned it to Drop C" "I have acid sweat; I turn strings black in 3-4 hours" "Screw it. It's a rental!"

Agree with everything.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Oct 22, 2014,
I would focus on WHO would be using the studio. If your goin to have kids, ages 15-25, your gear will most likely end up broken. Keep that in mind before you buy an $800 guitar. Older folks will most likely have their own gear and only want to use the space. Just my 2¢
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
+ 50 for the GODIN Belmont , 2 lipsticks and a Duncan 59 with or without bigsby, hell of a monster of tone, lovely guitar, well made in canada much better than few USA mades.
for the humbucker side, get a trusty korean made epiphone. Also the Godin Core is much better built.
But you probably get away with a fender strat for the single coil side (versatility) and something like an epiphone les paul (built like a tank)
Squier Tele and Epi Les Paul. No more than $400 ea new and highly recommend cheap and used but in good condition. They will get thrashed very quickly because people don't value other peoples stuff.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A pair of Hardtail Fat Strats would be the best thing if possible.

1.) No Trem, no Tuning Issues, No Problem, no lost Hex Keys
2.) Fat enough for the metal and Jazz guys
3.) Thin enough for the Country/Classic Rock guys
4.) Anything gets broken on either of them, the parts are plentiful and cheap

You have to assume the clientele are going to be a bunch of ruffian morons, I'd never hand them anything with a glued-in neck or a tremolo, just too much trouble.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
+1 to all posts here - especially the ones that mention stuff getting stolen / broken.

If people are serious, most people will have their own gear.
Having some in house gear available to hire is a good idea though.

If you charged a rental fee on gear that you provided, you could probably cover any repair costs if something got broken/stolen.

Have you tried contacting any local music shops or maybe a local manufacturer? They might be willing to give you a discount or maybe even some free gear in return for some publicity at your rehearsal space.
I'd deffo go with something that stays in tune well and has easily replaceable parts.Bearing these factors in mind,I'd go Fender.
even better idea:
Get in contact with fender about your idea and offer to let them sponsor you. A small investment on their part could turn the whole room into a Fender advertisement, and you could get free guitars, amps, pedals, etc...

You just need to sell the idea properly.

Aside from that . I bow to the people who pointed out reliability issues. That said - I'd still get at least MiM Fender guitars. I think a telecaster is still a really good idea. They're versatile and sturdy. A fat strat or a blacktop sounds like a fair idea.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Oct 22, 2014,
Quote by dspellman

good points
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would look at the Parker line, they have tremelo setups that don't use Floyds and are in your price range.
MIM strat and an Epiphone LP... not out a lot of money if they get beat or and/or stolen and both are very solid playing guitars.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I would get two tele's one being a blacktop with 2 humbuckers and a standard tele. They are probably the most bulletproof guitars out there. Tele has no vibrato and a square neck joint they can get abused and take it.

For one versatile all around and sturdy guitar probably a G&L fallout. A brand that many might not know but a solid choice.

I would stay away from set neck guitars due to not being able to handle the abuse some people might put it through. Kicking it over and dropping it etc.

I might go with the fallout because it is good but not something a less learned player or fan would take.
Last edited by Zhaezzy at Oct 23, 2014,
Electronic guitar is most important music equipment that's we can generate new song theme and gives best quality song.....

Last edited by Carinfrank at Oct 25, 2014,