So, i have bought an ovation celebrity LCC024 (second hand). It has nylon strings and i wanted to know if it should have them? if so what difference does it make? can i put steel strings on anyway? I'm presuming the LCC024 is just the left handed version of the CC024 however i can't find info on the LCC... The CC is apparently steel, so why would the L have nylon?
Thanks guys. Any info on this/these guitars would help a lot
Jack
Last edited by jack24593 at Oct 22, 2014,
From what I can tell this is a steel string acoustic that should have steel strings. Nylon strings are used on classical guitars and you can easily tell the difference by looking at some pics of the headstocks/tuners and the bridge(also has a truss rod in the neck while classical guitars don't). I guess they do make ball end nylons strings that would fit on steel string acoustic. The difference being that the nylon strings will have a much softer, quieter sound and tone and easier on the fingers. They are generally used for classical and flamenco style music while a steel string is used for rock, country, bluegrass, etc. The truss rod will most likely need adjustment as the nylon strings have much less tension than steel string.
I've tried the CC24. loved it. I haven't run across that one yet. I'm very partial to Ovation's ease of play and sound. I use mine more than I do other higher end ones.
the quick research I've done( ok, ok, 3 reviews), as Rohash noted already... it should be a steel string guitar. I myself prefer D'addario EXP16's on my O's. I think it's funny that someone would actually put nylons on it...kinda like a 6 cylinder '68 Camaro...WHY????
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
I've tried the CC24. loved it. I haven't run across that one yet. I'm very partial to Ovation's ease of play and sound. I use mine more than I do other higher end ones.
the quick research I've done( ok, ok, 3 reviews), as Rohash noted already... it should be a steel string guitar. I myself prefer D'addario EXP16's on my O's. I think it's funny that someone would actually put nylons on it...kinda like a 6 cylinder '68 Camaro...WHY????

Thanks dude, just picked it up and its lovely. Took your advice with the D'addarios too as i havent used them before, they sound great
Quote by jack24593
Thanks dude, just picked it up and its lovely. Took your advice with the D'addarios too as i havent used them before, they sound great

NGD NGD !!!! you'll have to post some pics of it for us. we all enjoy a good New Guitar Day !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I like the sound of the D'addario strings, but I've had three sets recently that the winding came apart very quickly on. I since switched to Martins for my acoustics (which oddly, now includes a similar Celebrity to yours). Not sure of the exact type; the ones on my Takamine I put on, but the ones on my Ovation were from the factory. They made it through two weeks before I could see where I was striking the wound strings with my pick, and from contact with the frets.

Your mileage may vary, I've used D'addarios almost exclusively on electrics with no issues, and I may have just had bad luck.

Happy NGD.
Quote by jack24593
So, i have bought an ovation celebrity LCC024 (second hand). It has nylon strings and i wanted to know if it should have them? if so what difference does it make? can i put steel strings on anyway? I'm presuming the LCC024 is just the left handed version of the CC024 however i can't find info on the LCC... The CC is apparently steel, so why would the L have nylon?
Thanks guys. Any info on this/these guitars would help a lot
Jack
This is a left handed model, yes? I think that's what the "L" stands for. When I google the exact number, all that come back matching are leftys.

But no, that is a steel string model, be it right or left hand. The headstock and pegs are for steel strings. A nylon strung guitar would have a slotted headstock. Try searching "nylon strung Ovation guitars", and you'll see what I mean.

I just hope that whoever hung the nylon strings on it, didn't fully slot the top nut, for the much fatter than steel, nylon strings.

^ That's a nylon string "O" ^
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 27, 2014,
Quote by azrael4h
I like the sound of the D'addario strings, but I've had three sets recently that the winding came apart very quickly on. I since switched to Martins for my acoustics (which oddly, now includes a similar Celebrity to yours). Not sure of the exact type; the ones on my Takamine I put on, but the ones on my Ovation were from the factory. They made it through two weeks before I could see where I was striking the wound strings with my pick, and from contact with the frets.

Your mileage may vary, I've used D'addarios almost exclusively on electrics with no issues, and I may have just had bad luck.

Happy NGD.
This is probably a topic for your own thread. In any case, you will usually be able to feel some denting on the bottom side of wound strings after a couple of weeks of play.

The wrappings usually only wear all the way through on very light wound G-3 strings, the .023 or thereabouts, that come in acoustic extra light or 12 string light sets.

80/20 Brass, or standard bronze, is much softer than phosphor bronze, which in some cases may introduce a fair amount of fret wear.

A: So, you're using very light strings'

B: Or, you're using 80/20 alloy strings.

C: Or, you just play too damned hard.

D: Or, you have one or more sharp frets. (Do the strings wear in the same place)?

E: I suppose it's possible the playing style can introduce wear. For example playing mostly in the same position.

Or "F", any combination of, or all of the above

And I suppose it's also possible that you got a bad batch of strings. I saw a show abut bell making on PBS, and it was said that every batch of bronze, wasn't always a good batch.
Quote by Captaincranky
This is probably a topic for your own thread. In any case, you will usually be able to feel some denting on the bottom side of wound strings after a couple of weeks of play.

The wrappings usually only wear all the way through on very light wound G-3 strings, the .023 or thereabouts, that come in acoustic extra light or 12 string light sets.

80/20 Brass, or standard bronze, is much softer than phosphor bronze, which in some cases may introduce a fair amount of fret wear.

A: So, you're using very light strings'

B: Or, you're using 80/20 alloy strings.

C: Or, you just play too damned hard.

D: Or, you have one or more sharp frets. (Do the strings wear in the same place)?

E: I suppose it's possible the playing style can introduce wear. For example playing mostly in the same position.

Or "F", any combination of, or all of the above

And I suppose it's also possible that you got a bad batch of strings. I saw a show abut bell making on PBS, and it was said that every batch of bronze, wasn't always a good batch.

According to Sweetwater, the Ovation Celebrity comes with D'Addario EXP11 Coated 80/20 Bronze Light, (.012-.053) strings. And it wasn't denting, it was the winding stripping away around the contact points. I even showed it to the other guitarists at church, and they asked me how I managed to pull that off. I've gone about three weeks with no marks whatsoever on the Martins I replaced them with. Also 80/20 Bronze. I play my Ovation quite a bit now, since I joined the church band, so they get some time on them.

On the Takamine, it was over the sound hole, where I hit the strings with a pick. Each wound string had at least a quarter inch or more stripped away. I also replaced them with the same Martins. It's been too long since I had a package to look at, so I won't swear to the exact type of strings. Again, after a couple of months the Martins show little sign of wear.

That marks three sets that had the same issue. All D'addario. At any rate, let this die, since it is detracting from a NGD thread, and I've replaced them anyway, except on my guitar tuned to open G (which gets too little use to see much wear regardless of strings).

Quote by ddawson2012
don from D'Addario here - shoot me an email and we'll gladly replace the set that for you - my email is don.dawson2@daddario.com

Thanks, but I think I'll just stick with Martins on my acoustics. I already tossed the bad sets in the trash as it is.