Hello, I've been playing guitar since January on a Chinese made Fender Squire Strat. I've gotten better and better but it's come to a point where the guitar i'm currently using can't supply me with anything I need in terms of sound, quality, or playability. I usually go to my local guitar center to playing random guitars, and I've found that I really like Mexican Made telecasters, and i've also been looking at Epiptone Les Pauls. While I like these two, I wanted to see what people would suggest in their opinion for someone like me who's going into about 10 months of experience now. Based on the sound I want, I'm looking for a really dreamy kind of deep guitar sound. I usually play clean with reverb, and i'll list some of my favorite bands below so maybe some of you can get an idea of what I'm looking to play.

Real Estate: Basically all their songs off their "Days" album, my personal favorite above everything.

Craft Spells: Their "Idle Labor" Album contains a bunch of songs I first learnt when I begun playing, but I love their lead guitar's sound.

Fiance: Their song "Era" is a perfect example of the sound i'd like to get out of my guitar.

Obviously many aspects of a guitar's sound can be edited via the use of an amp, or pedals, but I kind of wanted a general idea of what guitars I should maybe look for at an affordable price (I consider 150-400 to be affordable right now, as I also want to get a case and maybe a new amp along with it as I need something good). List some suggestions below, I'm planning on picking something up around christmas so maybe I can find something on sale around that time. Thanks and have a great day/evening.

[EDIT]: I thought I'd add I also plan for this to be a long term guitar, I don't come from a rich family and I don't have a lot of money being a teenager, so if I do get a guitar I'd like it to be a very long term guitar.
Last edited by AlexRussell at Oct 22, 2014,
esp ltd guitars seem great value for money and really well made, they have a massive following and are fairly affordable, the ec-256 you should take a look at.
You're in a good ballpark with the Mexicasters and EpiPauls, though I'm so not a fan of Guitar Denter these days. There will be sales right *after* Christmas, but stay away from guitars on the wall.

I think you get better quality for the money from some place like Rondo Music, which is the direct importer and which doesn't pay for a brick and mortar store. It's a bit like buying direct from Schecter, rather than paying the profit margins that GC tacks onto your guitar.

I have three of their Agile AL-series guitars (LP-alikes), with two purchased new, directly from them and one purchased used. The AL-2000, for example, falls right into your budget, and a bit of a stretch will get you into the AL-3XXX series (the 3001 series are recommended, but the current price on the 3100M series is stunning). If you're looking at Teles, the Agile TC-625s are outstanding. Be aware that the LP-alikes from Rondo are NOT chambered, not weight relieved, and can be heavy. They also have absolutely awesome sustain.

The key to the kingdom, however, is getting a *really* good initial setup on whatever guitar you choose. This includes $4000-6000 Gibsons as well as $200-400 Epis or Fenders. I've gone nuts with this, spending up to $200+ for a PLEK setup with Gary Brawer on a guitar worth barely more than that. But the difference is enormous (IMHO). I can put the resulting guitar up against almost anything in terms of playability, and I routinely use those inexpensive Agiles as my bar gig guitars.
I was very impressed with an Agile AL-2000 I'd seen before.
It would also leave you with enough in the budget for a decent 2nd hand amp. There's no reason they can't last you a long time.
Get it set up once you get it home, too. You don't need to PLEK it, but take it to a good local shop. Should be $60 to $80 bucks.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by INSULIN
gibson sg j 14 are under 500 now i see only good reviews

I'd have to give it a negative review, and if you're only seeing good reviews, you've missed a couple.
You can make a strat sound like an LP but you can't make an LP sound like a strat. I find strats are more versatile (not to knock LP's)
Quote by dspellman
You're in a good ballpark with the Mexicasters and EpiPauls, though I'm so not a fan of Guitar Denter these days. There will be sales right *after* Christmas, but stay away from guitars on the wall.

I think you get better quality for the money from some place like Rondo Music, which is the direct importer and which doesn't pay for a brick and mortar store. It's a bit like buying direct from Schecter, rather than paying the profit margins that GC tacks onto your guitar.

I have three of their Agile AL-series guitars (LP-alikes), with two purchased new, directly from them and one purchased used. The AL-2000, for example, falls right into your budget, and a bit of a stretch will get you into the AL-3XXX series (the 3001 series are recommended, but the current price on the 3100M series is stunning). If you're looking at Teles, the Agile TC-625s are outstanding. Be aware that the LP-alikes from Rondo are NOT chambered, not weight relieved, and can be heavy. They also have absolutely awesome sustain.

The key to the kingdom, however, is getting a *really* good initial setup on whatever guitar you choose. This includes $4000-6000 Gibsons as well as $200-400 Epis or Fenders. I've gone nuts with this, spending up to $200+ for a PLEK setup with Gary Brawer on a guitar worth barely more than that. But the difference is enormous (IMHO). I can put the resulting guitar up against almost anything in terms of playability, and I routinely use those inexpensive Agiles as my bar gig guitars.

I'm incredibly impressed by the price of the guitar, and it looks and from what I've seen of it sounds pretty great. But, all the demos were people kind of playing heavy rock/metal type stuff, and I'm concerned on whether i'll be able to get that deep, dreamy chilled out tone out of it that I want. What's your thought on this? Appearance wise, I think I'm in love. Also, I don't really play heavy distorted music or with any fuzz, I usually stick to high base, mid treble and as much reverb/echo as possible.
Last edited by AlexRussell at Oct 22, 2014,
Quote by AlexRussell
I'm incredibly impressed by the price of the guitar, and it looks and from what I've seen of it sounds pretty great. But, all the demos were people kind of playing heavy rock/metal type stuff, and I'm concerned on whether i'll be able to get that deep, dreamy chilled out tone out of it that I want. What's your thought on this? Appearance wise, I think I'm in love. Also, I don't really play heavy distorted music or with any fuzz, I usually stick to high base, mid treble and as much reverb/echo as possible.

I checked out Fiance -Era.He is using a Gibson ES335 on the neck pickup.You should get close with a Les Paul-alike.If you could find a decent semi hollow you may get slightly closer to the tone,Alot of it is down to amp settings though.
Quote by EyeballPaul
I checked out Fiance -Era.He is using a Gibson ES335 on the neck pickup.You should get close with a Les Paul-alike.If you could find a decent semi hollow you may get slightly closer to the tone,Alot of it is down to amp settings though.

If I do end up getting one of those guitars, I might end up putting money towards a better amp, I'm on a spider IV right now. I figure buying one of those agile guitars is generally my best bet for the money I can spend, so any decent amps I could find for a lowish price that'd be a step up from a Line 6 Spider IV?
Quote by AlexRussell

"Heavy rock/metal type stuff" is probably the easiest thing to play and newbs love it because it sounds impressive. That's not a knock; that's just why you're seeing more of that than you are jazz chords on vids these days.

The pickups on the al-3XXX series are very nice AlnicoV-based things that will remind you of Gibson '57s.
Quote by dspellman
"Heavy rock/metal type stuff" is probably the easiest thing to play and newbs love it because it sounds impressive. That's not a knock; that's just why you're seeing more of that than you are jazz chords on vids these days.

The pickups on the al-3XXX series are very nice AlnicoV-based things that will remind you of Gibson '57s.

Yeah, I don't really like to play heavy music at all, but I don't have any doubts in my mind that it'll be good for what I want it to be for, the Al-2000 that is. Seems like everyone loves the damn thing, hearing literally nothing but positive feedback on the guitar as a whole, specificly comparing it to Epiphone's version of the les paul.