I had a guitar cable that came with the videogame Rocksmith 2014 which I used to practice with headphones on. I bought a Presonus Audiobox USB audio interface to record with but whenever I add distortion I get a white noise in the background. This never happened with the Rocksmith cable. People said that I needed an external power source so I bought a powered USB hub but still no luck.
Did you use the same program to add distortion to your guitar, both when using the rocksmith cable and the audiobox?

Also the thing can't receive power from external source, it's bus powered.
Connect it directly to your computer, no hubs, hubs aren't good for that stuff.

A/B the thing with the tone cable and then see what the differences are.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Did you use the same program to add distortion to your guitar, both when using the rocksmith cable and the audiobox?

Also the thing can't receive power from external source, it's bus powered.
Connect it directly to your computer, no hubs, hubs aren't good for that stuff.

A/B the thing with the tone cable and then see what the differences are.

Yes with the same exact preset. I only plugged it in to the USB hub after someone recommended it, the problem originally occurred when it was plugged directly into my Mac.
What's your monitor situation? What's everything plugged into?

I used to get awful noise until I bought a power conditioner for my desk which cleared everything up right away. You probably just have noisy dirty electricity and it's becoming apparent now that you're starting to use relatively higher-end equipment.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
What's your monitor situation? What's everything plugged into?

I used to get awful noise until I bought a power conditioner for my desk which cleared everything up right away. You probably just have noisy dirty electricity and it's becoming apparent now that you're starting to use relatively higher-end equipment.

My Mac is connected to a 6 port power strip. Could that be the problem?
Quote by ls2014
My Mac is connected to a 6 port power strip. Could that be the problem?

No idea, some are higher quality than others. Sometimes the electricity in your walls is the problem and you need a super high quality strip (see: power conditioner) to clean it up. Case in point, my old apartment in Brooklyn built in the 40s. Yuck.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
No idea, some are higher quality than others. Sometimes the electricity in your walls is the problem and you need a super high quality strip (see: power conditioner) to clean it up. Case in point, my old apartment in Brooklyn built in the 40s. Yuck.

That must be it then, I live in the UK and my house is practically ancient lol
I still don't get why the Rocksmith cable gets a clean signal though.
Quote by ls2014
That must be it then, I live in the UK and my house is practically ancient lol
I still don't get why the Rocksmith cable gets a clean signal though.

Because the cable is input-only. The presonus box gives you high quality output, and it's amplifying your dirty noise in a way that you can't hear on your laptop speakers
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass