Lookin for VERY transparent overdrive to send a metal amp over the point of no return; not quite enough gain on tap. Recommendations?
Soul Food?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
A Timmy would work well
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
A Timmy would work well

+1

on the cheap, a digitech screamin blues maybe. some cheapo chinese companies are supposedly coming out with timmy clones, but i haven't tried them (i have the danelectro one but it was discontinued).

I didn't really like the soul food for a metal (or any kind of high gain, even hard rock) boost, it's not tight enough on the low end. it's more useful (in my opinion, obviously, other people may well disagree) as a boost for a lower gain amp, and can also be used as a standalone overdrive.

the problem with "very transparent" is that that's not necessarily what you want; you might only think you do (I know I did ).

Of course, you might know exactly what you want and maybe something transparent is what you want. in which case the soul food would be pretty good on the cheap. (so would the timmy or screamin blues too, though, and have the advantage of a bass knob so you can have bass cut or not, whichever you wish.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 22, 2014,
What amp are you using? Assuming your amp is a high gain tube amp suited for metal, there should be more than enough, if not too much gain on tap. you would be using the OD for a tighter, more focused bottom end, not to add more gain. unless its like a JCM 800 or something. But anyways I'll be really original and suggest a TS-9. But yeah, do tell us what your "Metal amp" is.
Last edited by gurg06 at Oct 22, 2014,
I don't really see how it matters, but I'm using a Mark V in the IIC+ mode, and I want the sound of that with a bit more gain. I know I'm going to get shit from everybody on how a Mark V has plenty of gain, but spare me. I like the IIC+ mode and I just need a bit more gain on tap in that mode. I know about pedals that tighten amps, and I don't need one with my Mark. Just a bit more gain that wont in any way affect my beautiful tone. Please don't tell me just go to another mode, I'm not an idiot; I've tried that. I like Mark IIC+ and I just need some more gain.
Last edited by cococardigan at Oct 22, 2014,
Quote by cococardigan
I don't really see how it matters, but I'm using a Mark V in the IIC+ mode, and I want the sound of that with a bit more gain. I know I'm going to get shit from everybody on how a Mark V has plenty of gain, but spare me. I like the IIC+ mode and I just need a bit more gain on tap in that mode. I know about pedals that tighten amps, and I don't need one with my Mark. Just a bit more gain that wont in any way affect my beautiful tone. Please don't tell me just go to another mode, I'm not an idiot; I've tried that. I like Mark IIC+ and I just need some more gain.

why does it matter? if you had a MG i would tell you to chuck it in the trash, or if you had a fender champ, to get a new amp that would handle it. skipping the bold text you could have skipped a sentence and not looking like an asshole in attitude.

you want a zendrive. i use it on the lead channel of my MKIV just to sweeten and smooth it out for a liquidy high gain.

i use a timmy on everything. it is IMO one pedal everybody should have. probably not for your current use though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by cococardigan
(a) I don't really see how it matters, but I'm using a Mark V in the IIC+ mode, and I want the sound of that with a bit more gain. (b) I know I'm going to get shit from everybody on how a Mark V has plenty of gain, but spare me. I like the IIC+ mode and I just need a bit more gain on tap in that mode. (c) I know about pedals that tighten amps, and I don't need one with my Mark. Just a bit more gain that wont in any way affect my beautiful tone. Please don't tell me just go to another mode, I'm not an idiot; I've tried that. I like Mark IIC+ and I just need some more gain.

(a) It matters because (in my experience, anyway) different amps like different boost pedals. One pedal can sound good with one amp and not so good with another (and vice-versa).

I haven't tried the mark V, though, so I can't help Listen to trashed.

(b) No worries, you won't get that attitude here, all of the regulars who use high gain amps are well aware of how useful a boost can be, even if the amp technically has enough gain already.

(c) Yep, no worries. I made sure not to suggest that you definitely weren't aware of tightening overdrive pedals in case you were well aware of them. It sounds like you're bang-on, that a more transparent one is what you want. As I said, I have no experience with the Marks, but trashed does, and he knows what he's talking about so listen to him.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?