Okay, I haven't been here in a while but whilst talking to my girlfriend this conversation came up, and I wanted to get other peoples' views on it.

Recently I've been getting a bit down and frustrated with a few things going on. Nothing major, I just get in a bad mood more easily than I used to. I'm not depressed, nor do I have anger issues. Just in a bad mood sometimes.

Now, this is annoying her at times and according to her I should "make more of an effort to be happy". I'm not unhappy in the slightest bit.

So, where this is leading:
Can you force yourself to be in a good mood/happy when something's getting you down, or do you think that idea is a load of crap?
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
I'm positive.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Yeah you definitely can. It's just a way of training your brain to react certain ways to certain things.

edit: I should say, excluding mental illnesses that prevent otherwise.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Oct 22, 2014,
You can distract yourself or try not to focus on negative stimuli, but if depression or OCD or some other form of mental illness is at play, that's not something you can simply just snap out of.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
You can distract yourself or try not to focus on negative stimuli, but if depression or OCD or some other form of mental illness is at play, that's not something you can simply just snap out of.

Yessir. 100% correct

It's frightening really
ayy lmao
Depends on what the source of unhappiness is, but generally yes. You can be in a bad mood on the inside 100% of the time but not let it affect others.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Depends on what the source of unhappiness is, but generally yes. You can be in a bad mood on the inside 100% of the time but not let it affect others.

Oh yeah, if we're talking about how you act rather than feel, yes, you can control that.

Nobody likes to be around a mopey Maurice.
The human brain is capable of convincing itself that basically anything can be true.

I, personally, cannot just make myself happy, though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by snipelfritz
Oh yeah, if we're talking about how you act rather than feel, yes, you can control that.

Unless you're ocd.

This is contradictory to your last post I approved

Sniplez pls
ayy lmao
Yeah you can. I do it at work all the time.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
People are not happy all the time. Sometimes things in life suck and it's only natural to have that impact your mood. There's nothing wrong with that, however it does help to control how you project those feelings onto others. It's fine to be sad, frustrated, angry, whatever. Just try not to take it out on the people close to you.

Just go for a walk or a bit of fresh air alone if you get in a really bad mood over something. When I got particularly angry or annoyed at stuff (and believe me some of the shit I had to put up with will top yours) I'd just put on some music that makes me happy and go for a drive somewhere to have a bit of time alone. I called it a "cancer cruise" cuz im p lame.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Isn't that what Alcohol is for?

Pretty sure
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
i can put on a happy face most of the time.

been doing it for years.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I think the answer is generally sorta. I mean you can't exactly always force yourself to be happy, but often (not everyone and never really all the time) you can definitely choose to snap yourself out of some things and choose a different line of thinking that leads to more positive emotions. As for being positive or cynical? Yeah I think that's usually a choice. Again, it's not definite for everyone but I think most can say "I'm going to be a positive person now" to themselves and like Joel said train themselves that way. It takes time with certain things but it can be done and helps immensely with pretty much everything
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Poorly yes. At a glance, I'll look fine however two seconds with me and it's extremely apparent it's an act.

As for your problem whether it's a bad mood or whatever, being told to "act happy" won't do a thing beneficial for you, talk to your girlfriend and do your best to explain why you're in bad moods whenever they occur so she can support you rather than be annoyed.
Quote by chookiecookie
Unless you're ocd.

This is contradictory to your last post I approved

Sniplez pls

nah man, I mean, I can be feeling horrible inside and torn up about shit, but I don't act out at all...I'm great at bottling up my emotions...but that's just me.
I'd like to purchase a six-pack of bottles of emotions please and thank you

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I'd like to also add I'm a big fan of the alcohol solution, but most people who recognize me probably know that already.
i want my money back.

i asked for the booze that makes me happy, not the booze that makes me sad.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i want my money back.

i say booze is booze, fuck it
you need more booze

OP: i could force myself if the situation/job/whatever called for it.
overall i'm a positive person

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Oct 23, 2014,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i want my money back.

User error.
Society is an alcohol of disease
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Il'l drunk ot thatt
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Use to be able to do it very well. And even if i couldn't force myself to be happy, i could at least create the illusion that i was on the outside. Pretty hard to keep the poker face up nowadays though. However I don't let it affect others, and i don't talk about it or give anyone the chance to talk to me about it.

So to answer the OP: No. I can't force myself to be happy any more.
Sail upon the open skies
If I'm pissed or sad about something, it's written all over my face.

I can't control my emotions like just hypnotize myself into being happier at will, but if I'm in a bad state I can do things that put me in a better state like going to the gym.

Nobody likes a Mopey Milton.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Drinking won't make you happier, smoking weed will though.
Quote by big-T

Based on the troll face team logo and the team name featuring a Jet, I assume Kalanz has joined.
I don't think people can force themselves to be happy, but happiness and/or suffering are very much personal choices. When I really came to understand this, happiness got a lot easier to find.

Choose wisely.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 24, 2014,