so im trying to make my first song but i cant seem to play anything that stands out to me as being "good" w2hat im really going for is a deep slow rock song like bolevard of broken dreams or wake me up when september ends i want to make something that sounds similar but at the same time completley my own and a different song so what comes first lyrics or making chords/notes on the guitar for the song
I don't write lyrics, nor am I a singer, but in general I've always write music by figuring out a defining lead melody first and foremost. Everything else comes around that. The singers I've worked with have told me the same thing, as in they figure out a vocal melody before applying lyrics to it. They've told me they sometimes write the lyrics entirely after the melody, and also just keep a notebook of random lyrics they come up with, with no particular melody in mind, and then read through it after coming up with a melody to see if anything fits.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
deep slow rock song like bolevard of broken dreams or wake me up when september ends

Those songs are deep? Ok..

OT:
I write the music first. Lyrics are secondary. The times I wrote the lyrics first, the music suffered.
i dont mean the lyrics are deep i mean the tone of the music is very low and bass filled yet simple and moving im trying to capture the feel of that sound into a song
I usually write the music first (rhythm first, then the melodies), after that the words. Don't be afraid to write bad songs at first. Try to write the best songs you can, but don't be afraid of sucking. In time you'll find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Aim to have at least one good thing that you like in your first song, then write a second one with another good idea you like. Then with the third one try fuse those two good ideas together to make a better song than the first two.

Writing songs is usually 10% inspiration and 90% hard (but fun) work. And it's worth it.

My 2 cents.
It depends on the writer. For me, I write the music first, listen and then write what comes. Some people do it the other way around, it's personal preference.
Your first song will not be good.

Your 50th song might not be good either.

Practice your craft. You won't get where you want to go without practicing.
It is all up to you. Sometimes lyrics may inspire you to write the music part, sometimes the music inspires you to write the lyrics. When you have lyrics, I think it is easier to come up with a melody.

But yeah, if you want to write something like the Green Day song, figure out what's happening in it. What's the structure? Pay attention to the dynamics and what different instruments do. (Dynamics are really important in an "emotional" song.)
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Couple of thoughts:

I've never successfully written a good song lyrics first. Lyrics are so closely tied to the melody that I don't even know how I'd start.

On the other hand, I'm a big believer that you have to work on melody as soon as possible. As soon as the idea for the song appears in my head, I'm focused on melody, melody, melody. The melody will guide your chords ... but the creating a bunch of chords makes the melody harder to find.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
so im trying to make my first song but i cant seem to play anything that stands out to me as being "good" w2hat im really going for is a deep slow rock song like bolevard of broken dreams or wake me up when september ends i want to make something that sounds similar but at the same time completley my own and a different song so what comes first lyrics or making chords/notes on the guitar for the song

Since its your song, that's your choice. What do YOU want to happen first? There is no one way.

Every answer you can think of, is the correct one!

Best,

Sean
i think this this is a personal thing. I've done it all different ways, I'm sure all famous writers have their own different approaches as well. Writing hit songs is tough. That's why people are famous or successful in the industry for being able to do it well.
Quote by HotspurJr
Couple of thoughts:

I've never successfully written a good song lyrics first. Lyrics are so closely tied to the melody that I don't even know how I'd start.

On the other hand, I'm a big believer that you have to work on melody as soon as possible. As soon as the idea for the song appears in my head, I'm focused on melody, melody, melody. The melody will guide your chords ... but the creating a bunch of chords makes the melody harder to find.

This guy apparently doesn't have that same difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3MwB2F-wU