Hey everyone. New to this forum and to electric guitars. I already have a guitar in mind but I'm unsure about the rest of the equipment that I need.

See right now I'm not looking to jam with a band for the foreseeable future. I already have a really nice pair of headphones that sound amazing so I'm looking to use that if possible. I had this idea about the machine that would be perfect for me but being unfamiliar with the world of guitars in general, I don't even know if such a machine exist.

I'm looking for something that I would plug both my guitar and headphones into, that's it. I don't need an amp with speakers since I'm not looking to jam with a band anytime soon. Ideally, this "box" would have a decent number of effects (like distortion, delay etc...) and an EQ, as well as a USB port to import my favorite music to play along with.

Does something close to that exist?
A Line 6 POD HD 500/HD500X would probably be your best bet. Best amp sims around plus boatloads of effects if you need them. You won't be able to plug in music via USB though. There's an AUX in (1/4") and a CD/MP3 input (1/8"), though I don't know if these bypass your amp/effects.

Forewarning though if your headphones aren't 1/4" jack you'll need an adapter and it might sound like ass.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Smart thinking Clem.
I'm in a similar situation. I am currently comparing the Line6 POD HD500 that Stig mentioned to some competing products. Here are other options:

If you have a pc, you might look into getting an interface and some amp software. For example amplitube. I found this method to be a little bit fiddly and I was constantly distracted by the internet.

You could get a small modeling combo amp like the Roland micro-cube. It has a headphone jack and it has an audio input jack. it also allows you the option of playing out loud if you want. It doesn't have a ton of effects but it does have a small sampling of commonly used ones.

If you're interested in the HD500 but don't want to spend that much, you can get a similar product called the Zoom G3. Cheaper, supposedly not quite as nice-sounding as the HD500, but it has a looper and a tuner and a drum machine.

Then of course there's full-size modeling combo amps. You might think that you can save money by buying something that doesn't have speakers but that's actually not as true as you might believe.
The Zoom G3 for example is 100 bucks if you buy it used. For 150 you could get the Fender Vibro-champ XD or pay 200 for the Super-champ XD.
For 250 you could get a used Peavey Tube Vypyr which would not only cover all of your immediate needs but it would also cover some of your future needs as well.

If you're just looking to get started cheaply then you should try to find a cheap used modeling amp on Craigslist. I got my micro-cube for 20 bucks. You might not get a deal that good, but they're out there.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Oct 23, 2014,
POD XT Live can be had pretty cheap
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
I would go with a Yamaha THR since you're just beginning. There's no programming or presets which will easily just confuse you if you don't know what you're doing. The THR is just plug and play.
I like the idea of getting a modeling amp with silent headphone capabilities. It'll give you what you want without sacrificing using an actual amp if you ever feel like it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Thanks for all the replies! I researched every suggestion given to me in this thread. I think the pod live XT would be perfect for now. The biggest advantage is for how cheaply it can had now. I watched a few youtube videos and it seems like a very versatile little machine. I can get one locally in perfect condition for 200$. I'll give it some more thought but there's a good chance I'll go for that. Thanks again.
I'm not sure if anyone else had suggested this. But I'd recommend a little line 6 Spider 3 combo amp. It gives you multiple effects, has a headphone jack, you can use it at low volume without headphones if you ever wanted, and the damn things go pretty loud if you find the opportunity to turn it up. Just my two cents. It however doesn't have the USB port you're after.
Quote by clem84
Thanks for all the replies! I researched every suggestion given to me in this thread. I think the pod live XT would be perfect for now. The biggest advantage is for how cheaply it can had now. I watched a few youtube videos and it seems like a very versatile little machine. I can get one locally in perfect condition for 200$. I'll give it some more thought but there's a good chance I'll go for that. Thanks again.

depending on where you live, $200 may be too expensive. In the USA the XT live goes for $90-$120
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate