Ive been playing for around a year now, and I think I'm pretty decent at blues and metal, although I cannot pick incredibly fast, nor can I make a "wicked" guitar solo. But I am good at improvisation both blues and metal. Does that alone make me good? Or does not being able to have my fingers fly across the fretboard automatically make me a beginner?
Quote by AmericaMURICa
Ive been playing for around a year now, and I think I'm pretty decent at blues and metal, although I cannot pick incredibly fast, nor can I make a "wicked" guitar solo. But I am good at improvisation both blues and metal. Does that alone make me good? Or does not being able to have my fingers fly across the fretboard automatically make me a beginner?

Do you enjoy what you're doing?
Does it sound good?

if the answer is yes, then stop worrying about it. Keep playing.

Contrary to shred fan belief, having your fingers fly across the fretboard is not the sole indicator of what "good" is.

ducks for having committed shred blasphemy.
shred is gaudy music
Shredding ( when relating to guitar) means playing technically fast and impressive guitar lines. Some add the negative connotation of lack of musical taste or real creativity, but the basic concept is really just centered around technical ability.

If you can't play fast than you can't shred.

Not playing fast doesn't mean you're a beginner. Not playing on time or in tune means you're a beginner - there is a big difference there.

Being a good player means playing well, it doesn't necessarily equate to playing fast, though most common people are impressed by speed and if you're into the metal genre, then you need chops to be considered good within that genre.
well do you want to be able to do that? i can't do it, don't want to, and don't care. it's up to you.
i don't know why i feel so dry
If you want to shred and can't do it, yes, it makes you a beginner when it comes to shredding. But it doesn't necessarily make you a beginner guitarist. But somebody who has been playing for a year is most likely still kind of a beginner.

I wouldn't worry about "being good". I mean, of course you should pay attention to your technique but thinking about your skill level all the time does no good to anybody. If you have been playing for a year, I doubt you are someone I would consider to be "good" (I don't consider myself being good) - but how do I know? Also, "good" is such a subjective word. Somebody may think you are awesome and some other may think you suck.

But I would consider somebody being good if they get a good tone out of their guitar (not talking about the amp's or guitar's tone but the "tone in your fingers"). That has to do with playing rhythmically accurately and playing in tune (bends, vibrato) and sounding clear (ie, your playing doesn't sound sloppy, for example every note in the chord or melody rings out well - your playing doesn't sound like the fail sounds in Guitar Hero).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by GuitarMunky
Do you enjoy what you're doing?
Does it sound good?

if the answer is yes, then stop worrying about it. Keep playing.

Contrary to shred fan belief, having your fingers fly across the fretboard is not the sole indicator of what "good" is.

ducks for having committed shred blasphemy.

LOL

I agree with you, FWIW

Quote by reverb66
Shredding ( when relating to guitar) means playing technically fast and impressive guitar lines. Some add the negative connotation of lack of musical taste or real creativity, but the basic concept is really just centered around technical ability.

If you can't play fast than you can't shred.

Not playing fast doesn't mean you're a beginner. Not playing on time or in tune means you're a beginner - there is a big difference there.

Being a good player means playing well, it doesn't necessarily equate to playing fast,

+1 (I took out the last wee bit since I'm not sure I agree with it as it's a bit of a generalisation)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Eastwinn
well do you want to be able to do that? i can't do it, don't want to, and don't care. it's up to you.

LOL arent you the guy who thinks music isnt math haha i bet eh whatta clown lets rumble
That would have been funny if there was a typo in the thread title, but there wasn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That would have been funny if there was a typo in the thread title, but there wasn't.

My apologizes, I've been spending too much time in the pit.
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."