Hi,
So say if I'm going out for an hour or two should I turn the amp off and when I turn it off would I hit the standby switch first etc?
Thanks.!
You don't need to do anything with the standby switch, but you should probably turn it off.
Good practice to do standby then power off, just as you would power on then take it off standby. You don't want to leave a tube amp on for extended periods of time, creates a fire/overheating hazard.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I put it on standby and then turn it of, just to make sure its in standby when i turn it on. Otherwise you can just turn it of i belive
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Thanks bit off topic but just got mini recto just the cable that comes with it go in the pedal that's cames with it?
^ I would assume so, but can you post a pic of them?

Quote by gorkyporky
I put it on standby and then turn it of, just to make sure its in standby when i turn it on. Otherwise you can just turn it of i belive

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
On the side of the cable it comes with it says speaker cable. Is it normal to use them for plugging in the top jack socket amp to the footswitch?
I'm not sure, actually. wait till someone else answers. it may well have come with a speaker cable for connecting to a speaker cabinet (i'm not familiar with buying mesas and what they're like out of the box).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes you can use a speaker cable for connecting the footswitch. All you need is a cable that is TS or TRS what ever your amp needs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The stand by switch is mainly for when you turn the amp on, to let it warm up before hitting the tubes with full power and to minimize playing it until it's warmed up. Shutting it down is not an issue, you can just turn it off.

As far as leaving it on goes, it won't hurt the amp to let it idle on standby, but it might be an issue if it's in a location where heat buildup might be possible and create a fire hazard.

I had a close friend in the 80's who left his Peavey Butcher on all the time, on standby when not in use, he was adamant that the most wear and tear on tubes was/is from expansion and contraction when being repeatedly heated and cooled. I don't know if that is actually true, but it does make sense. Anything that gets hot expands, then contracts again when cooled. That's probably the biggest reason traditional light bulbs don't last forever.

From hanging around amp repair forums, it seems to be a commonly held belief that all components might be subject to a certain amount of long term damage due to expansion and contraction. Resistors, for example, can develop hairline cracks and eventually either fail outright or drift out of tolerance because it's more difficult for the current to jump across those cracks. Tubes may have similar issues.

IF you're sure you won't be dealing with heat buildup, it probably won't be a major issue to leave it on for an hour, I do the same with mine all the time, I have it in a spot where it can get plenty ventilation, the wall behind it never gets warm to the touch...I keep it about 6 inches from the wall though.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I turn mine on.

When I'm done I turn them off.

I ignore the standby switch as the vestigal affectation from days gone by that it is.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin