So I recently bought an Ibanez RGA8. I strung it with D'addario EXl140-8 strings, light top heavy bottom. And I seem to have a problem with the low f#.

I decided to keep it in a "Standard" Tuning, (F#, B, E, A, D, G, B, E. As the package said) but it feels floppy, hits the frets and doesn't "sound" like a note when fretted. It kinda just rattles around.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, perhaps it's the set up. But even after I got a friend to do it (followed by the book) It still feels floppy.

Is there any way to fix this? Heavier strings? Adjusting the bridge, the neck? Anything aside from trying to change the tuning? Not a guitar expert, and I've looked for days about this issue and couldn't come up with anything that answered my question. So I hope someone can help me

Also, the fretted notes always seem out of tune. So how would I go about fixing that?
Last edited by Synesisbassist at Oct 23, 2014,
Quote by Synesisbassist
Heavier strings?
Yes.

That is, if the guitar's intonation is set right.
If not, first set the intonation right and then get bigger strings if the ones on at the moment feel too sloppy.
Quote by Synesisbassist
Also, the fretted notes always seem out of tune. So how would I go about fixing that?
Edit: that may simply be 'cause the string's so sloppy you're using vibrato by simply pressing more or less on the string when you play a fretted note.

If that's the case and you want to avoid it, you do need bigger strings.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 23, 2014,
Heavier strings? Apperantly Ibanez does not recommend anything higher then .70 for the low f#

"At this point, we only recommend going up to .70 gauge. The machine head holes would have to be widened otherwise."

But I have .74 on for the lowest. Based on a 26.5 scale length. So a bigger gage string would be my best bet?
Quote by Synesisbassist
Apperantly Ibanez does not recommend anything higher then .70 for the low f#
**** Ibanez then.

If the problems are the machine heads either have the string pass only one time into the hole and then turn the thing from there, of if that's too much as well grab a drill and make the hole bigger.

Just, if you do that, be sure to sand the hole edges reeeeeeeeeally well so they're veeeeeeeeeery smooth, else you risk the strings breaking 'cause of a sharp hole edge.
Quote by Synesisbassist
But I have .74 on for the lowest. Based on a 26.5 scale length. So a bigger gage string would be my best bet?
Well I use .62's for C2, I don't think I could play the same way without a string bigger than .74 tuned to F#.

So yeah, if I was you I'd get bigger strings.

I mean, the reason why I would have an 8 string would be to play djent, for which sloppy low strings help, so if I was you I would actually keep a sloppy string, though you get my point.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Two options I see, either buy a custom made set, adjust the guitar and modify it... Or just keep it. Hmm, well I don't really use the low f# so I'll keep it

Though I may try to adjust my neck a little more. Feels too high, as both my other guitar and bass have a nice low action. Or would it be wise to keep it around, what factory heights say?

As I said, I know next to nothing about guitars, and I thank you for the help!
Quote by Synesisbassist
Two options I see, either buy a custom made set, adjust the guitar and modify it... Or just keep it.
Or you could check if there's enough space to fit bigger strings in the machine head hole.

Like, a 10th of an inch.
Quote by Synesisbassist
Though I may try to adjust my neck a little more. Feels too high, as both my other guitar and bass have a nice low action. Or would it be wise to keep it around, what factory heights say?
Lemme redirect you to my previous message.
Quote by Spambot_2
**** Ibanez then.
If it works for you, keep it the way it works for you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola