Hi there!!!

I ve noticed that when i try to downtune (B, C, etc) and pick the strings, for a moment they become sharp...for exaple the 6th string tuned to B becomes C for a second and then goes back to B.
I just wanted to ask if this is normal..or perhaps my guitar is crap...or maybe it because my guitar is not a baritone...but in contrast to this i ve seen many band members playing with downtuned les pauls which are even shorter in scale...so the question remains....

thanks in advance
Last edited by metalpup at Oct 23, 2014,
Quote by metalpup
Hi there!!!

I ve noticed that when i try to downtune (B, C, etc) and pick the strings, for a moment they become sharp...for exaple the 6th string tuned to B becomes A# for a second and then goes back to B.
I just wanted to ask if this is normal..or perhaps my guitar is crap...or maybe it because my guitar is not a baritone...but in contrast to this i ve seen many band members playing with downtuned les pauls which are even shorter in scale...so the question remains....

thanks in advance

When you tune down a lot (obviously) the strings become very slack. This can be solved either by baritone guitars or thicker strings. Whenever you pick a string on a guitar, the tone will begin to ring sharp and then settle down to pitch. This problem is worse the harder you pick the strings and, as you've noticed, when you have looser strings due to downtuning. There are three ways you could solve your problem:

Thicker strings
Buy a baritone guitar or one with a longer scale length
Get fitted to your guitar or buy a guitar already equipped with an evertune bridge (I'll leave you to look up some youtube demos of this)

Hope that helps

bchampion96
Thanks for your answer!!!

I already use thicker strings (12-60)...but the problem still remains...well its more like a question rather than a problem..well the thing is my guitar has a string through body so i cant fit any bridge
Quote by metalpup
Thanks for your answer!!!

I already use thicker strings (12-60)...but the problem still remains...well its more like a question rather than a problem..well the thing is my guitar has a string through body so i cant fit any bridge

You can fit an evertune bridge to any guitar, not matter what bridge is used to have pretty much. It will just be pretty expensive and you'll need to take it to a guitar tech
The harder you press down on the strings, the sharper the note will be, and this problem is made worse the lower your strings are tuned from their standard tuning. It's also made worse if you've tuned down but your guitar is set up for standard. Also, picking harder I believe sharpens the note too.

So try pressing down more gently, picking lighter or getting your guitar set up for the tuning you are mostly going to be using
Quote by Himynameisben95
The harder you press down on the strings, the sharper the note will be, and this problem is made worse the lower your strings are tuned from their standard tuning. It's also made worse if you've tuned down but your guitar is set up for standard. Also, picking harder I believe sharpens the note too.

So try pressing down more gently, picking lighter or getting your guitar set up for the tuning you are mostly going to be using

From the description given I think the problem here is solely a matter of hard picking. Lighter picking or heavier strings are pretty much the options you've got.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
If the string doesn't really go out of tune, it is only out of tune at the moment you pick it but then comes back in tune, the problem is in your technique (or you are just using too light strings/too low tuning). There's no point in spending money on something that isn't even causing the problem (and it might not even solve it).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If the string doesn't really go out of tune, it is only out of tune at the moment you pick it but then comes back in tune, the problem is in your technique (or you are just using too light strings/too low tuning). There's no point in spending money on something that isn't even causing the problem (and it might not even solve it).

Thanks for the answer guys!!!

Yeah the strings are not getting out of tune...just instantly when picking....but my thinking mostly concerns whether the tuning when I play is accurate or not...well I am not John Petrucci for sure but i think generally, when you pick once...the string will come back to its initial position and tuning, but when you do it continiously I guess then you never actually play in lets say drop b.
Going from B to A#? You probably mean from B to C? And it shouldn't really go that sharp. Do you happen to use a clip-on tuner? I know these tuners can have trouble tracking low notes, that's why I got a Polytune 2 and it's a really good tuner with the strobe mode. There are probably cheaper alternatives though.

My advice is this: get a good strobe tuner, and tune your low string so that it's slightly sharp when you pick it and goes slightly flat when it's left sustaining. Basically you balance it so you never sound horribly out of tune.

Also, you may want to check if the strings aren't floating a little bit in the nut slot. I had a guitar like this, and I think it made the tuning a little less stable. For my newest guitar I had the nut slots cut out to allow thicker strings fit perfectly (13-63 in my case).

Last but not least, don't worry too much that it's not 100% perfect. It's not going to happen without something like an Evertune bridge. It's not a disaster and I've heard plenty of low tuned guitarists sounding a little out of tune live. On the records of course, everything's perfect
Last edited by Bart123 at Oct 23, 2014,
i tune the guitar with my amp...the tuner is implemented in it so i guess its quite accurate.

Thats what i ll try to do...check out the slots and then try it out again....

so i guess maybe a 7 string guitar tuned to B standard will be stay more in tune right???
Its just that i ve seen many bands prefering downtuned 6 than 7 strings.

You know i am kinda new player.... so i had this question and wanted to share with you guys..
Hmm, a 7-string won't magically make the tuning of the lowest string more stable I'm afraid. Unless it's a considerably longer scale. A baritone might be pretty stable, I don't know, never played one.
Only one thing I see has not been covered already, always bring the string down below the note you want and tune up to it when initially tuning.

That won't solve your problem, but might help a little. I noticed long ago my guitars tuned to standard tuning will do the same thing, the string will go slightly sharp for a fraction of a second and drop into the correct pitch. This happens with heavy acoustic strings, light electric strings, and different scale lengths. It's usually not anything to worry about. But with lower tuning it might be more pronounced, I've never tuned lower than D and haven't noticed a huge difference.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...