The only problem is I have a MIM Fender strat, and due to finances, I can't get another guitar and probably wont be able to for a few years.

What I do want is a tube amp (maybe 5w to 15w) and some single coil pickups to help my sound go to a different dimension My total spending limit is probably $800.

Influences and likes: Pantera, A7X, stevie ray, jimi hendrix, megadeth
Last edited by cjwillbeatyou:) at Oct 23, 2014,
You should be able to get a Hendrix and SRV sound just fine, but no amp will make an SSS Strat handle metal very well. I can roll down the treble, crank the gain on my Rockerverb, and turn on my OD in the chain and you still get the residual sonic qualities of a single coil pickup on a Strat. I mean, yeah, it gets close, but anyone with a few years of playing under his/her belt will notice it.
There are humbuckers that fit in singlecoil spaces from all kinds of makers- DiMarzio, Carvin, Rio Grande and more. Also, some companies offer singlecoil-size P90s (Rio Grande) and Charlie Christians (Vintage Vibe, Lollar) that can add some beef to your tone.

There are guitars that can cover a lot more sonic ground than most, like Reverends or guitars with mixed arrays (HSS, HSH, etc.).

For a small tube combo, I'd look at Carvin, Fender, Vox, Peavey, Orange, Mesa/Boogie and more. Check out Reverb.com for good deals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 23, 2014,
Well is it an HSS or SSS?

That mini recto looks like a good choice.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
You could go the humbucker route, but I wonder if you could get the SRV and Hendrix tones out of humbuckers. I've gotten kind of close with guitars equipped with coil splits, I'll defer to the others that might have solutions.
In my experience, the better the humbucker, the better it will sound split.

The are also some humbuckers that are specifically designed for better then average performance when split, like the Rio Grande Dirty Harry HB. For that one, Rio Grande literally took 2 of their Dirty Harry singlecoils and joined them together in a HB housing. So the end result is a HB that sounds EXACTLY like a Rio Grande singlecoil when split...because that is exactly what it is.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 23, 2014,
how badly do you need the heavier sounds versus how badly do you need the hendrix and srv type tones? a humbucker in the bridge is a good idea to increase the versatility, but maybe not if you only need the heavier stuff very occasionally.

also not sure i'd limit myself to the really low wattage options exclusively- for heavier tones that's possibly narrowing down your options unnecessarily (and heavier tones tend to be in the preamp anyway)... but again you're back to how badly you need those heavier tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you would be better off with a distortion pedal instead. There are some crazy "marshall in a box" type pedals that would definitely fit your needs.