Page 1 of 2
on my les paul my neck pickup is slanted downwards towards the bridge.
plays great but the pickup is not sitting dead even and it annoys me when i look at it.
one side of the pick up is really high up and the other side slants lower than the pickup ring. my bridge pickup also has the same thing going on only not as bad.
on my sg though the pickups are dead level any help with this is appreciated.
Pickup tilt is normally adjusted to get the bass-treble output balance where you want it. Individual pole pieces are then adjusted to get the desired string-to-string balance.

Overall height of pickups is adjusted to find the sweet spot, and also to get the desired balance between the neck and bridge pickup. I set the pickup tilt and height so that the output from the two pickups is the same, at both the bass and treble sides. - But this is just personal preference.

EDIT. I thought I had edited this out last night because I misread your question. Apologies.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 24, 2014,
I dont think he is talking about treble and bass side of the pickups. Anyway OP, you could try changing the pickup rings or screws (or both). You can also just take them out and see if the part where the screws fit into the pickup are somehow bent.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
I dont think he is talking about treble and bass side of the pickups. Anyway OP, you could try changing the pickup rings or screws (or both). You can also just take them out and see if the part where the screws fit into the pickup are somehow bent.

Well, I'm quite sure that you just forgot to put this there, but while checking the screws, it would be good to also check the springs or possibly foam, don't think they use that in Les Pauls though.. but using foam instead of springs could definitely in the long run make pickups slanted. They have their ups and downs.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Actually, if it's slanted towards the bridge, it sounds like the pickup ring(or whatever you call the plastic thing it's mounted on in a LP) is on backwards, because neck one is angled, since the top isn't flat there, like

I know about this, because when i replaced the pickups on my epi LP, I put the thing in backwards, since I'm a dumbass.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
No, he is talking about this (this picture is of TS's actual guitar):

You know, the guitar he claims to be the best Les Paul ever made, despite it having obvious flaws and being an old, cheap, Columbus LP copy which are well-known for being subpar guitars.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
No, he is talking about this (this picture is of TS's actual guitar):

You know, the guitar he claims to be the best Les Paul ever made, despite it having obvious flaws and being an old, cheap, Columbus LP copy which are well-known for being subpar guitars.

And I was supposed to know that how?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
And I was supposed to know that how?

I didn't say you were supposed to know that. I didn't even direct my comment at you, it was for everyone in the thread in general.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
i hate the pickups in this guitar there microphonic im going to replace them with some duncan pickups and gold trim rings. and yes to me this is the most amazing guitar ever made! it was my first real les paul ive had about 12 les paul juniors in the past 10 years buy one have to pay my phone bill sell it to the pawn shop get more money buy another lpj but this guitar this guitar is my life. i parted with her once never again >_>
^^ but it is not a real LP, it is a knockoff

But OT, check the springs that hold the pickup in place. I have had several guitars do this even a Gibson V and it was always the springs under the pickup ring
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
its the closest i have ever had to a real lp and im okay with that :P i cant wait to order a lp from china they have a black on gold lp standard thats calling my name! im broke and cant afford nice gear. just trying to make it work o btw i pulled that pup out and tried adjusting the springs its better but still messed up i think it needs new pup rings all have my guy at guitar center sort it out when he does the pick ups. thanks for all the help guys!
Are you ordering a Chibsun from China? If so, I don't get it. You're broke but can afford really expensive firewood? Lucky!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
hell yes i bought a firebird from china and i love that guitar. a guitar is not good just because a long standing company slaps there name on it. its about care and attention to detail and decent components and 95 percent of guitar tone comes from your hands its all about fretting and strumming and fingering and picking its not just having a good setup if you play a 5000 dollar guitar shitty its gunna sound shitty. and my guitar wont be a chibsun i will ask them to not install any infringing logos on the guitar. as long as i get a guitar that looks good and that i can swap the pickups on and make it play how i want i dont care who it comes from. i like chinese guitars because there good looking can be made to play well and there affordable. for ****s sake im not in a band im not sponsored i dont have a music company backing me im a 22 year old kid working at walmart trying to pay bills and have fun in my free time,a 5k gibson les paul is the most unrealistic fantasy ever. hell even used a used gibson les paul on craigslist is 700 bucks minimum.
Holy shit that's embarrassing.
1. Nobody said a guitar was good because it had a name on it.
2. The guitar you bought does not have care and attention to detail, nor decent components. It's built as cheaply as possible to sucker people like you who have no idea what you're doing.
3. "95% of the tone is in your hands" is irrelevant bullshit, we're talking about the instrument here. You didn't buy a pair of hands. We're talking about the hardware.
4. Your guitar is a Chibson. Telling them not to put a label on it changes nothing. It's a cheap-ass Chinese copy of a Gibson guitar. That's a Chibson.
5. You can like whatever you want but posting your poorly informed decisions on here is going to net you some criticism.
6. Your choices are not between a Gibson and a no-name Chinese guitar. Buying a POS and then replacing all the parts is generally a crappy idea. I don't understand how you think it's saving you money.
7. Your illiterate and scattered posting style is not helping you seem like a rational person.
8. Every time you post you never actually take advice. You post what you want and then spend the whole time ranting about how your decisions are right. There's no point in posting if you've got no intention of taking the advice you're getting into consideration. Nobody cares what you do with your money, but if you keep telling us what you're doing with your money then you'd best be prepared for some criticism.
Quote by gorkyporky

Yeah, I realised that after I posted, and thought I had corrected it. <sigh> Gettiing old and senile is a terrible thing.
mehhh the level of quality that china is turning out right now is danm good people who are way more informed than me and that have real gibsons and work on "name brand" guitars are buying these cheap chinese guitars just to make videos about them on youtube not to mention any names but a guy that does this just reviewed a 2014 model from china and he seems to think they are starting to put out really nice quality guitars ive bought 2 so far and there epiphone quality or better

You're not convincing anybody. China can make good guitars. What YOU got (I.E: A fake Gibson Firebird made cheaply) is not the same as something actually produced there decently. There's no use telling you shit though because you'd rather have a fake that looks kind of close instead of a good guitar.

I don't even know why you even bother anymore. You're way out of your depths.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
mehhh the level of quality that china is turning out right now is danm good people who are way more informed than me and that have real gibsons and work on "name brand" guitars are buying these cheap chinese guitars just to make videos about them on youtube not to mention any names but a guy that does this just reviewed a 2014 model from china and he seems to think they are starting to put out really nice quality guitars ive bought 2 so far and there epiphone quality or better

You really need to educate yourself. On multiple areas.

Start with spelling and the use of punctuation, then come back here with a different attitude and maybe we can do something about your ignorance when it comes to guitars.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
why do you guys have to bash people so danm much??? fourms are made to help people and to make it easy to find relevant information. stop with all the bullshit already i come here for help and to talk to other like minded people who play guitar. you guys who bash suck some magjor D
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
why do you guys have to bash people so danm much??? fourms are made to help people and to make it easy to find relevant information. stop with all the bullshit already i come here for help and to talk to other like minded people who play guitar. you guys who bash suck some magjor D

2 things you aren't doing.

Quote by Tempoe
Those guitars are made and sold specifically for people like you, enjoy!

/thread
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

No one is bashing you to be mean and malicious, they are doing it because almost all of your threads have not been properly thought out before you start them.

You also seem to have a very strong opinion on the threads you start and you defend your stance more than listening to the members here. Some of your questions could have been answered by looking at other threads.

Welcome to UG
Remember most of the guys here give good advise, it may be a bit harsh at times or completely opposite of what a TS was thinking, but they typically mean good.

And remember a shit guitar i8s a shit guitar. The guitars you are looking at fall in that category of shit.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 25, 2014,
okay but id rather have the hand crafted guitar the guy in china is putting out than the computer cut guitars gibson has on the market. gibson has used cnc machines to craft parts for there guitars since the 80's. honestly id rather have the chinese people that can put hands on the guitar and make it perfect build me a guitar than have a computer that can only put out the same exact dimension's every single time. the computer cant correct itself after it messes up a guitar a human can
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
okay but id rather have the hand crafted guitar the guy in china is putting out than the computer cut guitars gibson has on the market. gibson has used cnc machines to craft parts for there guitars since the 80's. honestly id rather have the chinese people that can put hands on the guitar and make it perfect build me a guitar than have a computer that can only put out the same exact dimension's every single time. the computer cant correct itself after it messes up a guitar a human can

That is fine, but don't expect any guitarist here to support your thinking

Just one last quick question, if they are so good, why is no one playing them?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
open your eyes man! that factory is turning out 100's of guitars a day if not more you really think there selling all those guitars to the public??? NO your greedy little *****s over at gibson and fender are dipping there hands into the cookie jar. gibson is probably buying these buy the thousands slapping there logo on it and making 3 times what the chinese people want for it. and alot of people have bought these guitars the seller i go thru has 30,000+ reviews and feedback of customers who bought chinese guitars and are playing them. now im not saying that gibson or fender is pulling the old bait and switch but somebody is buying all these danm guitars china is making and who do we know that has money and needs guitars??? not to mention epiphones are made by gibson at the factory that just happens to be located in china..... i wouldnt knock china the usa is 40 trillion dollars in debt to them >_>
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
open your eyes man! that factory is turning out 100's of guitars a day if not more you really think there selling all those guitars to the public??? NO your greedy little *****s over at gibson and fender are dipping there hands into the cookie jar. gibson is probably buying these buy the thousands slapping there logo on it and making 3 times what the chinese people want for it. and alot of people have bought these guitars the seller i go thru has 30,000+ reviews and feedback of customers who bought chinese guitars and are playing them. now im not saying that gibson or fender is pulling the old bait and switch but somebody is buying all these danm guitars china is making and who do we know that has money and needs guitars??? not to mention epiphones are made by gibson at the factory that just happens to be located in china..... i wouldnt knock china the usa is 40 trillion dollars in debt to them >_>

You really are clueless.
Don't be mad that workers in the USA make more money and therefore the goods produced in this country are at a premium you can't or don't want to pay. But to say that their quality (USA guitars) is not upto par is stupid. If you haven't noticed some of the very best guitars in the world come out of the USA

And the US only owes china 17 trillion, so get it right bud
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

Oh, stop being such a cry baby. You can't reject the truth just because you don't like it. You're clearly here just to bolster your beliefs rather than to learn anything.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

If those Chinese factories could afford the machinery to produce guitars via CNC, you can bet your ass they would. They don't care whatsoever about producing guitars by hand for the sake of it, they only do it because it's so much cheaper initially to hire workers, only offer pathetic salaries and at ridiculous working hours, than to buy machines.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

I don't even know where to start with this post. Other than you're far too upset about what we've said to make any rational argument.

We know that you don't have much money, and there is nothing undignified about that. I'm sure you work very hard to earn what little money you have. But you can't expect people to give you high-5's when you try to cut corners through the fraudulent industry of counterfeiting.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 25, 2014,
^^ I agree just because your budget is not big does not mean you have to settle for something bad. There are lots of guitar company's that make nice budget guitars. Most bigger companys like Epiphone, LTD, Squier, Fernandez, Ibanez, Samick, Schecter, and Vintage make a solid budget guitar.

If your willing to buy used you can get guitars that would be 2x or more new for your budget,
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
a very wise guitar player told me this once "never judge a guitar by price or the name on the head stock get the guitar in your hands and play it whatever feels right plays they way you want and has the sound you want is the guitar for you ". i am no longer having this debate with you people it pointless -_-
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
a very wise guitar player told me this once "never judge a guitar by price or the name on the head stock get the guitar in your hands and play it whatever feels right plays they way you want and has the sound you want is the guitar for you ". i am no longer having this debate with you people it pointless -_-

It is pointless, you wouldn't know commonsense if it bit you on the ass. No it doesn't mean they will be great, but I would bet you will find those companies will have better overall QC. And if your buying on line without trying first I'd trust them more.

And if your going to take that type of stand on issues do us all a favor and don't post your shit any more.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

Can you explain how the name on the headstock has anything to do with what we're arguing?

Actually, don't worry. You don't have to. The writing is already on the wall why you think that is. It neatly ties in with all the other childish things you've posted.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 25, 2014,
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

EVERY guitar involves handwork. You can't stick a piece of wood in one end of a machine and have a guitar come out the other end. I play Warwick basses. I've been to the factory. They use 5 axis CNC machines, PLEK... the accuracy is so great on the neck joint that you can wave the thing around by the neck without having the body fall off. The fret slots are cut to the same accuracy- and they aren't cut to the edge of the fretboard, meaning the fretboard isn't compromised. They let CNC and computers do the really critical bits- the neck is the most importantart of a guitar, why let someone who can get it wrong do it? End justifies the means for me, and I've seen it all first hand.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
cnc machines are only as good as the human that programs it

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
cnc machines are only as good as the human that programs it

Making an argument about a problem that doesn't exist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm beginning to like the TS here, reminds me of Topscore. No matter what he is right in his mind
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2