My classical guitar doesn't have a saddle of any kind and I bought strings that are a little too thick so they buzz. How harmful is using a credit card as a makeshift saddle? Bear in mind it will only be like this until tomorrow when i get to a guitar shop (I'm performing before the shop opens and the buzz would affect my marks). Here's a picture of the "saddle" http://i59.tinypic.com/344ti0i.jpg
Well, points for inventiveness. Try this... Take that credit card, and see if you can fit two pieces in the slot, or perhaps three. If so, glue them together, smooth the edges with fine sandpaper, and try that.

The rig you have now is throwing your intonation off, and it's not transmitting energy to the top properly as it's too flexible.
Buy a proper saddle as soon as possible, and have your action properly adjusted.
Quote by Bikewer
Well, points for inventiveness. Try this... Take that credit card, and see if you can fit two pieces in the slot, or perhaps three. If so, glue them together, smooth the edges with fine sandpaper, and try that.

The rig you have now is throwing your intonation off, and it's not transmitting energy to the top properly as it's too flexible.
Buy a proper saddle as soon as possible, and have your action properly adjusted.

^^^^ Yes to all of that.

FWIW, my nylon string has an aluminium saddle, because that is what I happened to have in the workshop in about the right size. It seems to work fine.
Should be perfectly fine, but like Bikewer said, you can always shove a bit more card in there for a better fill in the saddle slot.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.