So I changed the strings on my guitar, BUT I snapped my G-String while tugging/breaking it in. BUT BUT I knew that might happened so I bought two sets of strings. So the guitar has a full set and sounds great. BUT BUT BUT then I had a set of strings with no G.

Yesterday at the music store I asked if I could buy a g-string (it's Elixir PB Nano, Light, just giving all the info) and he only had one spare Elixir string but wasn't sure what it was exactly, though he was sure it's a G, so I took it. I came home and I see that my new string:
1. Is a lighter guage (0.22. It says on my old box the G is a 0.24)
2. It looks much yellower than the windings of my other strings. So maybe it's 80/20? (I have no idea what 80/20 looks like - but it's the only other material I've ever heard of on acoustic, but I'm sure there are others.)

If I use these am I gonna break the guitar? Snap or twist the neck? (It's not even mine; belongs to a friend.) I googled about it and I can't tell what the verdict is. I don't care that much how it sounds - after 6-weeks if I sound bad it's probably not the strings But I don't want to break it. Btw, I really appreciate how great you guys have been with my total zero-knowledge questions.
It will be fine. Just fit the 0.22 string instead of the 0.24

All will be well.
Yep, won't hurt a thing. Go ahead and use it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Stevuke79
So I changed the strings on my guitar, BUT I snapped my G-String while tugging/breaking it in. BUT BUT I knew that might happened so I bought two sets of strings. So the guitar has a full set and sounds great. BUT BUT BUT then I had a set of strings with no G.

Yesterday at the music store I asked if I could buy a g-string (it's Elixir PB Nano, Light, just giving all the info) and he only had one spare Elixir string but wasn't sure what it was exactly, though he was sure it's a G, so I took it. I came home and I see that my new string:
1. Is a lighter guage (0.22. It says on my old box the G is a 0.24)
2. It looks much yellower than the windings of my other strings. So maybe it's 80/20? (I have no idea what 80/20 looks like - but it's the only other material I've ever heard of on acoustic, but I'm sure there are others.)

If I use these am I gonna break the guitar? Snap or twist the neck? (It's not even mine; belongs to a friend.) I googled about it and I can't tell what the verdict is. I don't care that much how it sounds - after 6-weeks if I sound bad it's probably not the strings But I don't want to break it. Btw, I really appreciate how great you guys have been with my total zero-knowledge questions.

String sets sometimes come already, "mixed". This is for issues like a player who wants a good solid bottom, but also would like to bend the high strings. These set are called, (however obviously), "light top, heavy bottom".

80/20 "brass", (actually "bell bronze"), is almost gold in color, and has a brighter chime than the other common type of string available Phosphor bronze. PB has a slightly reddish tinge to it, although it is rather faint.

So, if you have 3 reddish bronze strings, and 1 gold one, it may present as a bit brighter. (The steel strings e-1 & B-2, are identical materials, regardless of the alloy in the wound strings, assuming the string sets are the same brand).

Your mixed string set will be fine, to the extent that the difference in gauge won't hurt your guitar in any way, shape, or form.

However, replacing strings piecemeal has other slight consequences, given that overall, the strings are going to "break in" at different rates, and some will be brighter than others. So, if you're going to be recording with the guitar, you should replace set at a time. If you're just going to be banging it around practicing or jamming, I see no issue.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 24, 2014,
Right,.. cool, .. thanks guys!! I got that string just so I can have a full set on hand..

But I also ordered 80/20 D'Addario custom light because the PB elixirs seemed much to bright,.. come to think of it "long lasting elixirs were a mistake because I'm looking forward to many string changes till I find what I like. But I'll get to try the 80/20's in 2 or 3 months I guess. (I play A LOT)