I am currently learning a solo from Come Clarity (from 2:21) by In Flames. I am a beginner so my vibrato sucks. I wonder how to you make short vibratos that sound good? When I play it and try to make vibratos at those quick short notes, I don't feel like I have enough time to do it. It either feels like my finger is too weak and does not make the string move or it is too strong at other times and makes the vibrato too wide/fast and just sounds annoying. How do you do those quick short vibratos with good control? Do you make the vibrato from your wrist or your fingers? How many fingers do you use on the string?
From the wrist and the amount of fingers depends on if you are using your first or third finger.
yeah wrist generally

the other thing is, in short vibratos like that you can normally hear exactly the number of discrete bends which are being done. at that one at 2:21-2:22, it sounds like he does it 3 times (or 4 if you count the original note), possibly in a triplet timing (?- don't quote me on that, it may well just be basic quaver timing once you factor in the first note).

it's a bit like fast playing- it's often not as fast as you think, just the accuracy makes it sound faster. same thing here- they're not superhuman, they only have time to do 3 vibratos there, just they have really good control and technique so it still sounds really, really good.

other than that it's just practise. however, you need to check that you're practising it correctly (i.e. doing it right), or you'll do more harm than good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 24, 2014,
You can actually see what the guitarist's doing just after 2:30 in the video, it cuts to him halfway through the note; in my experience this kind of quick vibrato is most easily done with the first or second finger using the wrist.

Forgive the ugly gif, but here's what he's doing in the video:

At least I assume that's what you mean by the short notes?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Oct 24, 2014,
I'm still having problems. Could anyone explain how they use their muscles and what muscles they use to do those vibratos? I have already watched a long video about this but I don't get it. When I play fast and I pull the string to do vibratos it's like my hand and wrist get tense or stiff and I don't get any "momentum" or whatever you call it. Should you first pull the string then relax to let the string pull you back into it's neutral position and then pull again or exactly how do you do it to get a good flow.
Last edited by Zerpent93 at Oct 26, 2014,
Place your thumb on the top of the neck (the baseball bat grip, thumb should be holding the neck) and place the bottom of your fingers on the other side of the neck. Now rotate your fingers counterclockwise 90 degrees using your thumb as a pivot (the first finger should basically roll against the fretboard to the left). Then move your fingers back to the original position.

You should be able to see your forearm rotating, in order for your hand and fingers to rotate. This is the motion you want to use when doing vibrato and bends. With your thumb in the same grip try fretting a note and doing this motion, there are lots of youtube videos on this if you need to see someone do it.

With vibrato you generally want to play the original note, bend the string a semitone or two and then relax your bend at the same speed back to the original note.

Honestly this is probably the hardest basic technique to get down, and it'll probably feel very weird for a while. If it helps the rotation is usually described as the same rotation you'd use when turning a doorknob.
Last edited by Anon17 at Oct 26, 2014,
Quote by Anon17
Place your thumb on the back of the neck (the baseball bat grip) and place the bottom of your fingers on the other side of the neck.

I'd have said thumb round the neck makes vibrato a lot easier. Unless I've misunderstood what you meant (I don't play baseball).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah my bad I mean thumb around the neck, by back of the neck I meant top of the fretboard but obviously my wording was horrible.

The baseball bat grip is what Freepower called thumb around the neck in his posture video. The other grip (thumb on the back of the fretboard) was called the classical grip. I don't know if these terms are widely used but I'm fairly sure that a lot of youtube videos use these terms too.
Last edited by Anon17 at Oct 26, 2014,
I have started doing vibrato exercises to a metronome now where I practice with all fingers on all strings and different number of fingers.. I hope this will help but I guess it will take some days or weeks. Thanks for all answers they will help me to make sure that I do it right.
Last edited by Zerpent93 at Oct 26, 2014,
Quote by Anon17
Yeah my bad I mean thumb around the neck, by back of the neck I meant top of the fretboard but obviously my wording was horrible.

The baseball bat grip is what Freepower called thumb around the neck in his posture video. The other grip (thumb on the back of the fretboard) was called the classical grip. I don't know if these terms are widely used but I'm fairly sure that a lot of youtube videos use these terms too.

LOL no worries

Yeah compared to classical grip I'd have known what the baseball grip was, but just on its own (as I said, I don't play ) I wasn't sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pretend you're jerking off a tiny man with your fingertips
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
pretend you're jerking off a tiny man with your fingertips

Did it but the weird thought of jerking off a little man was too distracting.