Anyone got any tips for working them out?

I can play the cords to the song. Count the beat. But I just can't workout/create an appropriate strumming pattern.
I would start with some really simple strumming patterns first, then once you can figure those out move on to some easy songs and eventually harder ones. I know at one point in the JustinGuitar course he starts having you figure out strumming patterns. I can't remember which lesson but I think it's later on in the beginners course or early in intermediate.
Last edited by bptrav at Oct 24, 2014,
Quote by bptrav
I would start with some really simple strumming patterns first, then once you can figure those out move on to some easy songs and eventually harder ones. I know at one point in the JustinGuitar course he starts having you figure out strumming patterns. I can't remember which lesson but I think it's later on in the beginners course or early in intermediate.

Is that a good course?
Justin is really good, I been learning from him for a week now.
Yeah it's a really good course. I used to play guitar about 10 years ago, and I've still learned a lot of things that I never knew before by following his course. He really introduces things in a nice gradual way too, so that you aren't overwhelmed by trying to learn everything at once. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you are new to playing guitar.
Quote by bptrav
Yeah it's a really good course. I used to play guitar about 10 years ago, and I've still learned a lot of things that I never knew before by following his course. He really introduces things in a nice gradual way too, so that you aren't overwhelmed by trying to learn everything at once. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you are new to playing guitar.

Thanks all. Any tips for a newbie? I kind of intended trying to learn simple songs off the bat as that's what I want to be able to do initially.
If you're new I'd recommend going through Justin's whole beginner/intermediate course. They are very good for beginners and will end up allowing you to work out simple songs (as you want to do).

Also go to miles.be and download the (free) functional ear trainer. By using this you can train your brain to hear different intervals over different keys which makes it a lot, lot easier to start transcribing songs. It will be very hard and seem impossible at first, but it gets a lot easier.
Quote by Anon17
If you're new I'd recommend going through Justin's whole beginner/intermediate course. They are very good for beginners and will end up allowing you to work out simple songs (as you want to do).

Also go to miles.be and download the (free) functional ear trainer. By using this you can train your brain to hear different intervals over different keys which makes it a lot, lot easier to start transcribing songs. It will be very hard and seem impossible at first, but it gets a lot easier.

Cool, thanks. Would you say it's okay to bypass music theory for now? I feel as though I already have a challenge on my hands.
New player advice: It's all about what you wanna be able to do. In my experience it's a much more fun time if you enjoy the place youre at instead of constantly wishing you were better and dreaming about playing the crazy stuff. That's not to say don't push yourself, but unless you're forcing yourself to learn guitar quickly for some reason (can't honestly think of what a good reason would be), just have fun with it and play what you wanna play.
Music theory is useful but if you're new I'd stick to learning how to actually play and training your ear. Obviously you'll want to play as much as possible but the ear training will help so much in learning songs that it's totally worth doing for maybe 20-30 minutes a day.
Iam also haveing trouble strumming do u even strum an eletric guitar ??
Any videos on u tube that can help me.
This is all new to me. Does this "Justin Guitar" have anything to do with this website?
Quote by bptrav

Are we talking about the free or paid courses?
I have bounced around learning guitar on multiple web sites, Youtube, even books. The best I have found has been Justin Guitar. Most helpful, especially when I have block.
Being a very impatient person I expect quick results but I just suck, but not as bad as I did last week, last month, or last year.
Not to be a shill for Justin, his songbooks are also very good.
Pick up your guitar every day, even if for just a few minutes. Practice those hard barre chords. I was surprised how quickly those came!.
Quote by dott2
I have bounced around learning guitar on multiple web sites, Youtube, even books. The best I have found has been Justin Guitar. Most helpful, especially when I have block.
Being a very impatient person I expect quick results but I just suck, but not as bad as I did last week, last month, or last year.
Not to be a shill for Justin, his songbooks are also very good.
Pick up your guitar every day, even if for just a few minutes. Practice those hard barre chords. I was surprised how quickly those came!.

Are you purely self taught or have you had lessons?