Are these any good for someone looking to buy a decent sounding USB mic?

Any tips for getting the best out of them?
No mic is good for someone looking for a good USB mic.

Seriously, USB mic's aren't much good even for the money, and the C01 in particular isn't a hell of a mic to begin with.

You should go reading the recording resources sticky in this section.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
No mic is good for someone looking for a good USB mic.

Seriously, USB mic's aren't much good even for the money, and the C01 in particular isn't a hell of a mic to begin with.

You should go reading the recording resources sticky in this section.

What do you use/recommend?
Depends on your budget and what you wanna record.
What's your budget and what do you wanna record?

Also go reading the recording resources sticky more carefully.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Depends on your budget and what you wanna record.
What's your budget and what do you wanna record?

Also go reading the recording resources sticky more carefully.

Youtube vids and Soundcloud files initially.

Budget is around £80 for a mic.

In the future I may look to invest in some decent kit if I get any good.
Quote by u6s68
Youtube vids and Soundcloud files initially.
Not what you want to record for - what you want to record.

Your voice, an electric guitar amp, an acoustic guitar, a cajon... ?

Also mind that £80 will get you a less than average result and you'd be better off saving up more money, and you'd get the same results with an iphone mic.

If you insist in getting something cheap you might as well get whatever cheap USB mic.
Noone will sound much better than the rest for that money and they'll all give you a feeling of what it's like to record stuff with a mic.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Not what you want to record for - what you want to record.

Your voice, an electric guitar amp, an acoustic guitar, a cajon... ?

Also mind that £80 will get you a less than average result and you'd be better off saving up more money, and you'd get the same results with an iphone mic.

If you insist in getting something cheap you might as well get whatever cheap USB mic.
Noone will sound much better than the rest for that money and they'll all give you a feeling of what it's like to record stuff with a mic.

Thanks for the info.

It may not be worth my while if an iPhone mic recording is as good as a USB mic.

I am looking to record guitar and vocals initially. Perhaps I will need an interface and mic further down the line?

Would a half decent set up cost more than £500? I already have an okay computer but I reckon recording is beyond my soundcard.
Quote by u6s68
It may not be worth my while if an iPhone mic recording is as good as a USB mic.
If it's a 4S or later model it'll be better under lotsa aspects.
Quote by u6s68
I am looking to record guitar and vocals initially. Perhaps I will need an interface and mic further down the line?
If you want a better sounding result, yes.
Quote by u6s68
Would a half decent set up cost more than £500?
A half decent setup would be a used scarlett 2i2 + a used NT1A or sE X1 or AT2020, which would cost you £150 or less.

With £500 you could get a nice setup if you only wanna record a couple things at once.
Quote by u6s68
I already have an okay computer but I reckon recording is beyond my soundcard.
Problem's with the sound card is not the quality, it's the inputs that aren't designed to take mic's.

You should reeeally read the recording resources sticky before posting back here.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If you're gonna get a USB mic, try picking up the Behringer C1u (ideally refurb/used, but new isn't too bad). I can't tell the difference between my C1 and my bandmates C01 in a blind test, so may as well save the few bucks.

But ideally you should pick up an interface and mic separately. Bottom of the barrel mic interface would be the Blue Icicle.
Quote by chatterbox272
But ideally you should pick up an interface and mic separately. Bottom of the barrel mic interface would be the Blue Icicle.
Problem with USB mics is the low quality built in ADC.

If you get a bad ADC and an even nice mic it doesn't change anything though
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

I really like the quality of this recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zSQQ9n8OQ

Would I need a mixer to achieve something like this?
^ no you wouldn't.

For that you need whatever mic, whatever guitar, whatever interface, and a reverb processor you have too much fun using.

Mixers are for mixing sounds together for them to be sent out mixed, while what you want to do here is get your sounds to the computer unmixed so you can edit them separately and work with them later.

Listen, I get you wanna start off and you're not full of time, but read the ****in recording resources sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

Yep, but the upside of using that is it bridges the gap a little better. You can buy the nice(ish) mic with the icicle, then later on when you've decided you really do like recording and want to invest in it a bit more you can get an interface and your mic is still useful.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ no you wouldn't.

For that you need whatever mic, whatever guitar, whatever interface, and a reverb processor you have too much fun using.

Mixers are for mixing sounds together for them to be sent out mixed, while what you want to do here is get your sounds to the computer unmixed so you can edit them separately and work with them later.

Listen, I get you wanna start off and you're not full of time, but read the ****in recording resources sticky.

I did. I just wanted to clarify some gaps in my understanding. Cheers for the advice
Quote by chatterbox272
Yep, but the upside of using that is it bridges the gap a little better. You can buy the nice(ish) mic with the icicle, then later on when you've decided you really do like recording and want to invest in it a bit more you can get an interface and your mic is still useful.
Good point.

So yeah TS, if you're short on money do what this guy suggests.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola