The Detroit Lions play the Atlanta Falcons in London on Sunday. Any of the Pit's UKers going? Does anyone even know about it?

Intrigued to see if there's actually any interest in American Football elsewhere, since Rugby dominates everywhere else.
inb4 "why is it called football if they use their hands"
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193

Isnt it cause the balls are/were a foot long
Quote by Wormholes
Isnt it cause the balls are/were a foot long

Actually this made me check and they're about 11.5"

It goes back to the game's origins where it was essentially a hybrid of rugby and soccer, but with fights allowed. Hand usage wasn't legalized until something like ten or fifteen years after it started becoming popular, and it was another ten or twenty before throwing the ball was allowed. So originally, it was a foot-based game.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by willT08
Didn't hear about it until today

Same.

I haven't been really paying attention this season and how are the Lions first in our division? They're never good. (my dad is a big lions fan)
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Same.

I haven't been really paying attention this season and how are the Lions first in our division? They're never good. (my dad is a big lions fan)

Division is weak as hell. Detroit is still rather balls.
^pretty sure Detroit has been balls ever since I was born

Haven't they been doing London games for the past couple of years?
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
Haven't they been doing London games for the past couple of years?

Yeah. The Dolphins and Raiders played at Wembley earlier this season, but it was the Raiders so that was a blowout.

On the east coast of the US it's a 9:30 AM start time, watching football that early is going to seem strange.
I know one of those old rich farts in the NFL was talking about wanting to start a league in England

not sure how that would work out with time zones though considering Sunday's London game will start at 6:30AM on the west coast

And why the fuck did they send the Raiders to England, if you're trying to start a fanbase in England at least send a team that isn't complete ballsack sweat
Quote by iro-bot31
Yeah. The Dolphins and Raiders played at Wembley earlier this season, but it was the Raiders so that was a blowout.

On the east coast of the US it's a 9:30 AM start time, watching football that early is going to seem strange.

Yeah, it is strange. Get that a lot with international hockey.

I really don't understand the point either. Europeans suck. You aren't going to add a team and even if you did it wouldn't be a big deal to them. You'd have to make it some soft nonsense to appeal to the masses over there. Just like the NHL had to destroy what makes hockey great to appeal to dickheads in Phoenix and Tampa Bay. If the NFL wants more teams add them to Toronto and LA or places that actually care about and understand real football. If you aren't going to add a team or expand there, why are you wasting regular season games on this stupid crap?

If you want to generate any excitement you need to actually send good teams. Same shit happens in Toronto. Yeah we get a game, but we get Buffalo (christs sake) and another equally bad team.

^ The Raiders suck but they at least have something interesting about them unlike the bulk of the NFL teams/fans.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Yeah, it is strange. Get that a lot with international hockey.

I really don't understand the point either. Europeans suck. You aren't going to add a team and even if you did it wouldn't be a big deal to them. You'd have to make it some soft nonsense to appeal to the masses over there. Just like the NHL had to destroy what makes hockey great to appeal to dickheads in Phoenix and Tampa Bay. If the NFL wants more teams add them to Toronto and LA or places that actually care about and understand real football. If you aren't going to add a team or expand there, why are you wasting regular season games on this stupid crap?

If you want to generate any excitement you need to actually send good teams. Same shit happens in Toronto. Yeah we get a game, but we get Buffalo (christs sake) and another equally bad team.

^ The Raiders suck but they at least have something interesting about them unlike the bulk of the NFL teams/fans.

Should have had the Broncos/Seattle game there tbh.

And what is that?
Quote by CrossBack7
And what is that?

Well their fans are fucking insane for one

EDIT: Also I wasn't aware that there's a football fanbase in Toronto Thrash, it would be pretty tits to see some Canadian boys bashing each others heads in and apologizing for it
Last edited by RylanThePotato at Oct 24, 2014,
i still have my 10 dollar jerry rice raiders jersey my mom bought me from winners like 15 years ago

right beside the 30 dollar paul kariya ducks jersey my mom bought me like a year before that

the lady knows what's up in spite of being a caribbean immigrant who has never watched a sporting event in her life (y)

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Oct 24, 2014,
Quote by CrossBack7
Sucking ass for 30 years and a section of 20 hardcore fans makes a team interesting now?

lol whatever bud, you know yr team is shit when a team has sucked for 30 years and still has had more success.
Quote by necrosis1193

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

Although the accepted etymology of the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot.

There now you can shut up forever. Congratulations on being wrong.
Last edited by WaterGod at Oct 24, 2014,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
lol whatever bud, you know yr team is shit when a team has sucked for 30 years and still has had more success.

I've been a Saints fan since I was born. I only moved to St. Louis in the last 3 months.
Say what you want about the Raiders but they have a more popular legacy and crazier fans then at least 60% of the NFL

My area is mostly 49ers, Raiders, and Cowboys fans (in that order) and people here actually get in fights over that shit daily
Quote by CrossBack7
I've been a Saints fan since I was born. I only moved to St. Louis in the last 3 months.

It's okay this is the Blues year
Quote by CrossBack7

One championship and a history of consistent failure. Really a place to talk shit about other teams?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
One championship and a history of consistent failure. Really a place to talk shit about other teams?

I mean, I'm not talking shit, I just don't see how that makes them interesting.
Oh, are we counting championships now?

Ok. :smugdaisy:
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Technically, the term football originated as games played on foot with a ball. This was to differentiate from sports played on horseback, generally reserved for aristocracy. In most iterations of early "football"games touching it with your foot was actually illegal.
#DTWD
coverage starts at 1pm and i'm ill on a sunday so i think i'll be watching

lions vs falcons tho, i'm not buzzing for it
falclols
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing