Hey all, I recently switched to a new bridge but the string height at the neck pickup is super high. I've adjusted the neck pickup to it's highest point, but ideally I'd like it a little higher. Right now it's sitting a little under 5mm on both high and low E, would getting a longer screw fix this? Or do I have to do something else? Thanks!
I think you'd have to get a larger housing, if that's even a thing. Right now, your neck pickup is sitting flat against (or very close to) the pickguard or mounting ring.

If you have a strat or something with a pickguard, you're likely SOL.

Perhaps you could try lowering the action if possible?
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
This is the Mustang? I wondered if that might happen with the ToM bridge. You can win some more height by taking the springs off the pickup screws. Maybe replace them with shims or smaller springs. If that doesn't give you enough, I'm not sure what you can do except lower the bridge.
I totally forgot about the springs. Using smaller springs will give you a little bit more height, though maybe 5 millimeters depending on how small the springs are. The other option would be to remove the spring entirely, but you'll probably be stuck with the height you set it to.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Indeed it's the mustang! Sadly the bridge is as low as it can go, I'm gonna look into shorter springs and see what I can do. I like the bridge better than the stock, but my old one was too buzzy.

Do you guys think cutting the springs would be efficient too? How much would be good to cut off?
Last edited by indisguise at Oct 25, 2014,
Quote by indisguise
Indeed it's the mustang! Sadly the bridge is as low as it can go, I'm gonna look into shorter springs and see what I can do. I like the bridge better than the stock, but my old one was too buzzy.

Do you guys think cutting the springs would be efficient too? How much would be good to cut off?

The springs take up a significant amount of space between the pickup and the scratchplate, so shortening them or taking them off completelt will allow you to get a bit more height on the pickup. How much you win will depend on the sprigs -i if the are the little conical ones, they compress fairly flat, but if they are conical or the modern silicone rubber ones you can gain quite a lot by removing all or part of them. I regularly shorten springs to make them a better fit with not too much tension on the screw.

A word of warning - don't try pulling the screws too tight against spring tension, it will strip the thread off the (plastic) pickup bobbin. No worries if it is a metal plate, as found on some inexpensive pickups.