Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new guitar, explorer type and all variants, my two choices right now are the Charvel Desolation DST-1 ST and the Jackson Warrior WRXTMG. Does anybody know which one of these would be better than the other or could recommend some in the same price range?
Well; I think the Charvel gets the nod over the Jackson. But as those are both "Star-Shaped" and you mentioned Explorer shapes, I would take a look at the Ibanez Destroyer DT2. It is a bit more than the two guitars you mentioned, but I think it is a better guitar all around.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I still think the Warrior shape is butt-awful but clearly you don't so leaving that aside, they're really similarly spec'd eh. IMO The biggest difference in playability and overall feel would be the neck finish, or lack thereof. There's a lot of big love around at the moment for raw necks such as that on the Charvel. Do you have a preference on that?

For context, I've played an X Series Soloist - not the Warrior - and it's a really great guitar. If the shape floats your boat I'm sure you'd be happy with the Jackson. However, I'm an unfinished neck convert and the Charvels are just that much nicer for this feature. Once more tho, I've not played the Star model.

Mahogany / unfinished neck / classic shape > Tone knob
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Danustar
I still think the Warrior shape is butt-awful but clearly you don't so leaving that aside, they're really similarly spec'd eh. IMO The biggest difference in playability and overall feel would be the neck finish, or lack thereof. There's a lot of big love around at the moment for raw necks such as that on the Charvel. Do you have a preference on that?

For context, I've played an X Series Soloist - not the Warrior - and it's a really great guitar. If the shape floats your boat I'm sure you'd be happy with the Jackson. However, I'm an unfinished neck convert and the Charvels are just that much nicer for this feature. Once more tho, I've not played the Star model.

Mahogany / unfinished neck / classic shape > Tone knob

As far as the shape goes, I'm not really a big fan of it either (not saying it's terrible or I wouldn't choose it), it's just more comfortable to me than a traditional shaped guitar. And yes, I am a fan of the raw necks as glossy painted necks feel sticky for me after a while because my hands sweat very badly. So far the only real difference is the body material (Charvel=mahogany Jackson=basswood) and brand preference. I got nothing still :/
And yes, I am a fan of the raw necks as glossy painted necks feel sticky for me after a while because my hands sweat very badly
Doesn't the Jackson have a painted neck?
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Cool man
Might be helpful for others reading to hear what swayed you?
Quote by Danustar
Cool man
Might be helpful for others reading to hear what swayed you?

Mainly the raw neck and how I found the Desolation more comfortable. Everything else was neck and neck (no pun)