Doing what you love isn’t just important for you, those around you depend on it

It’s very commonly thought that following a passion is selfish and usually at the cost of those you love. A dedicated band member might spend a number of days out of a week rehearsing, or even weeks away playing shows. Our culture says that we go to work, this thing we don’t like, to feed our families and our reward is to spend time at home with them. As soon as you introduce a hobby, a project, or a passion on the side, are you just taking time away from loved ones?

You shouldn't feel guilty; in fact I believe you owe it to them to pursue that thing that fulfills you. Musicians of our nature get a particularly bad rap, we like to make a lot of noise. Drums, guitars, bass, big amps are generally disapproved of by the wider family (new amps are a very touchy subject in my house). Here’s where think we are going wrong:

We don’t give our project, hobby, passion enough credit, both with telling ourselves and others. For a start, calling the thing you’ve worked on for the last 2, 10, 20, (lifetime) years a hobby, immediately makes it sound dispensable to something far more trivial. I don’t think our culture gives anything like enough weight and importance to following your passion. These aren’t just things that can be dropped or taken up lightly, they are part of what makes us who we are. So how can you give your all to those around you without first being fulfilled yourself? You need to have that enthusiasm, that drive and that mastery of a subject to show your kids.

Devoting yourself to others is not enough. Before all else you must devote time to you, never underplay the importance of your passion. If you give to yourself you can give much more to others.

Find more like this at http://greyscaleguitar.com/
Last edited by Dominic Butler at Oct 25, 2014,
**** off Dominic Butler
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
My true passion is killing those around me though so now I'm kind of conflicted
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Dominic Butler you are only 20 you are too young to be giving everyone advice
I have nothing important to say
Last edited by JackSaints at Oct 25, 2014,
Yeah, this is is not even slightly insightful
TS where the fuck are you going with this?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Oct 26, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes
What if what you love is raping and killing?

You might be a Viking

Oh man, I might be onto some Viking themed Jeff foxworthy knockoff here....
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Dominic dreamed of giving inspirational talks on guitar forums until he visited the pit where his dreams were promptly shattered.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Obnoxious responses; ugh

Do you feel like any of your statements are really a coping mechanism for the fact that you really don't want to spend time with your family or etc?

I mean I agree to an extent, but I would think that at the end of the day its not a disservice to call music a hobby. There is no gray area it's either a profession, a part-time profession, or a hobby. I personally don't need to be an "artist" to feel fulfilled, fulfillment should be on grand scheme important things like morality and work ethic; not art.

I love playing music and its important to show that side of you to your kids (my wife and I are expecting anyday now!!) but it should not be a primal overall focus.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Nameless742
Dominic dreamed of giving inspirational talks on guitar forums until he visited the pit where his dreams were promptly shattered.

Quote by JackSaints
Dominic Butler you are only 20 you are too young to be given everyone advice

You are too old to spell giving wrong.
PM me for newts
Next time someone tells me I'm selfish, I'll just paste this mini-essay you typed for me.

Much appreciated.
thank you
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by StewieSwan
You are too old to spell giving wrong.

My most humble apologies, I have now corrected my post.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Obnoxious responses; ugh

Do you feel like any of your statements are really a coping mechanism for the fact that you really don't want to spend time with your family or etc?

I mean I agree to an extent, but I would think that at the end of the day its not a disservice to call music a hobby. There is no gray area it's either a profession, a part-time profession, or a hobby. I personally don't need to be an "artist" to feel fulfilled, fulfillment should be on grand scheme important things like morality and work ethic; not art.

I love playing music and its important to show that side of you to your kids (my wife and I are expecting anyday now!!) but it should not be a primal overall focus.

rangers suck
I shall take this advice to heart! :3 I pretty much only record improvisational pieces, but hey, that's super original, right? :3 In fact, I'm a diva~
COLORS!

OMG

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Also, people who wear Monster swag are automatically douches.
My sister is planning on emigrating to Australia. I think she is a selfish bitch for leaving her family behind.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
my passion is my job. I have more fun going to work every day than I do jamming, figure that shit out TS

maybe you wouldn't hate yours if you spent less time playing guitar and contemplating its significance, and figuring out where you're gonna go with your life
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
my current passion is sneezing on people at stores and telling them i have ebola.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Wiegenlied
my passion is my job. I have more fun going to work every day than I do jamming, figure that shit out TS

maybe you wouldn't hate yours if you spent less time playing guitar and contemplating its significance, and figuring out where you're gonna go with your life

What's wrong with having music be your true passion? Just because it's not yours and its harder to make money with it doesn't make it any less significant.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
my current passion is sneezing on people at stores and telling them i have ebola.

mine is the same except im the one who gets sneezed on and im the one who says I have ebola.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
What's wrong with having music be your true passion? Just because it's not yours and its harder to make money with it doesn't make it any less significant.

Music is still a passion of mine, but I have many passions and priorities. I've toured the country and released and album, and in my mind I've achieved everything I've wanted to with it. There's is no overwhelming need for me to play, so I don't that often.

What's wrong with music being your true passion? Nothing really, but there's probably a good 25% or so of the world that thinks music is their true passion and not that much demand for it and there's no way everyone is talented enough to have an audience. I believe being a musician is natural and thats why were passionate about it. But the passion to me is no more different then passion for playing sports, or drawing. And musicians seem to be the only one of group who complain about not getting enough respect for their abilities or not being able to make a living off of it. An athlete will play just for the love of the game, why cant a musician just play for the love of the instrument? I don't see how its not fair in any way.

So treat it as it is.. an innate desire to express oneself through an artform, like how one feels going for a run or lifting weights to release pent up energy. but dont be a drama queen like TS and be upset how the world doesn't revolve around your jam schedule
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Oct 26, 2014,
Here lies Dominic Butler - He came with a dream, he left because his dream was stupid.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
banning people is what I lve which is why i cabnned TS

next poster gets banned ahaha (maybe?)
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
jon get out I banned oyu last night cmon
ok but only cause you're the only one posting right now
Quote by Wiegenlied
Music is still a passion of mine, but I have many passions and priorities. I've toured the country and released and album, and in my mind I've achieved everything I've wanted to with it. There's is no overwhelming need for me to play, so I don't that often.

What's wrong with music being your true passion? Nothing really, but there's probably a good 25% or so of the world that thinks music is their true passion and not that much demand for it and there's no way everyone is talented enough to have an audience. I believe being a musician is natural and thats why were passionate about it. But the passion to me is no more different then passion for playing sports, or drawing. And musicians seem to be the only one of group who complain about not getting enough respect for their abilities or not being able to make a living off of it. An athlete will play just for the love of the game, why cant a musician just play for the love of the instrument? I don't see how its not fair in any way.

So treat it as it is.. an innate desire to express oneself through an artform, like how one feels going for a run or lifting weights to release pent up energy. but dont be a drama queen like TS and be upset how the world doesn't revolve around your jam schedule

This is wise stuff, and I'd be inclined to agree. My buddies and I will jam on a Friday night same as some people play footy. It's a lot more fun than taking everything super serious all the time, although admittedly most of the time it probably sounds horrendous but that's not the point is it? Just coz you're not on the team repping the country doesn't mean you can't play the sport and have a great time with some mates.

Ps. Don't ban me babyjoel. me luv u long time
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
Here lies Jon777 - He came wanting to be banned. Then he got banned to the next life.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line