I'm interested in the zoom g3. I would really like to keep things near 100 bucks, but i want to be sure there's not a back-breaker reason to save up for a better pedal.

I play at home for myself. i want effects. i want a looper.
Amp models are also a requirement but they're relatively less important than the first two
Recording capability would be good but not entirely necessary. rhythm tracks and a built-in tuner (particularly a chromatic tuner) would be great as well.
I've read enough opinions to know that there are many people who think HD500 is the minimum requirement for decent tone, but I am planning to eventually run this into my tube amp and I've always felt that the tube modelling amps (e.g. superchamp xd, vypyr tube) Were sufficiently musical to meet my needs. I suspect that the Zoom would sound good enough for me in this. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try a Zoom anywhere. Not yet.

I'm also wondering if there would be a problem with using active pickups into a G3? and if there's maybe anything else I might have overlooked?
Might need someone else to confirm but I believe there is a switch on the front of the G3 next to the input to choose between active or passive pickups
^ Yes, just checked on mine & it's right where you said it is.

Go for it TS, the G3 is an excellent pedal.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have the zoom g3x. They should both have the active/passive input button. And its a lovely pedal. Works great if you want to use it in the fx loop of your amp. The amp modelling sounds really good too. I dont know how the sims compare to the real thing, but they still sound pretty good in their own right.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thanks for pointing that out. :-)

I am trying to find another thing - it's a bit more technical - I was wondering about the Zoom's output levels. What kind of signal level could It manage?

Here's why I'm asking;
I built my own tube amp. It's barely an amp though - just a power section really. I was planning to add a proper pre-amp but then I came across a few discussions regarding plugging the Zoom into a tube amp. It seems that the standard advice is that you generally shouldn't run the Zoom directly into the input of a tube amp if you're using an amp model. I guess it's because you're sorta running a pre-amp into another pre-amp.

"Okay" i said "but what if my tube amp doesn't have a pre-amp yet?"

So I'm thinking this would work as a preamp. Any thoughts about that?
Quote by paul.housley.7
Thanks for pointing that out. :-)

I am trying to find another thing - it's a bit more technical - I was wondering about the Zoom's output levels. What kind of signal level could It manage?

Here's why I'm asking;
I built my own tube amp. It's barely an amp though - just a power section really. I was planning to add a proper pre-amp but then I came across a few discussions regarding plugging the Zoom into a tube amp. It seems that the standard advice is that you generally shouldn't run the Zoom directly into the input of a tube amp if you're using an amp model. I guess it's because you're sorta running a pre-amp into another pre-amp.

"Okay" i said "but what if my tube amp doesn't have a pre-amp yet?"

So I'm thinking this would work as a preamp. Any thoughts about that?

Yea, you should be able to run it straight into your poweramp with the amp sims enabled. and have the unit serve as a preamp.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Yep. That sounds kinda ideal really, especially if the modelling is as good as everyone says.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Pile on more love for the g3 from me. Given the price, I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with it, its just an awesome lil gadget
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
what are you using for a speaker?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what are you using for a speaker?

My micro-cube.

I didn't get a speaker yet.
I have a Kustom combo amp with a 10" speaker that I've been using for testing. I'm open to anything. I was thinking I'd cross that bridge later.

But now I'm feeling paranoid. Is there a reason you asked that?
Quote by paul.housley.7
My micro-cube.

I didn't get a speaker yet.
I have a Kustom combo amp with a 10" speaker that I've been using for testing. I'm open to anything. I was thinking I'd cross that bridge later.

But now I'm feeling paranoid. Is there a reason you asked that?

you need to match impedence for use. you couldn't just stick together a preamp and power section and yea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I say get it. Its a nice compact pedal that gives out pretty nice tone. I used it for effects and after i got my pedalboard and amp i used it for bedroom practice with headphones. I even used it live on gigs, and it survived all of them, so its pretty much built like a tank. And i think you can also use it as an audio interface for recording. I just sold it a few days ago, since i needed some cash, and i already miss it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
I say get it. Its a nice compact pedal that gives out pretty nice tone. I used it for effects and after i got my pedalboard and amp i used it for bedroom practice with headphones. I even used it live on gigs, and it survived all of them, so its pretty much built like a tank. And i think you can also use it as an audio interface for recording. I just sold it a few days ago, since i needed some cash, and i already miss it.

Yes you can
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You had me at hello.

That means I'm going to get one.
I'll have to do some financial gymnastics first but it seems to be capable of doing all the things I wanted it to do. Very nice.

And then I'll see about a cab. Last piece of the puzzle.
Quote by paul.housley.7
You had me at hello.

That means I'm going to get one.
I'll have to do some financial gymnastics first but it seems to be capable of doing all the things I wanted it to do. Very nice.

And then I'll see about a cab. Last piece of the puzzle.

As you're getting the Zoom, look into getting a decent powered monitor. Unless you already have an amp head, a cab on it's own won't be of any use to you. A powered monitor can be used to amplify the G3's amp sims for gigging etc.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I don't suppose anyone knows of any good deals on the zoom g3x right now? it seems like lots of vendors are sold out. anyone living in central pennsylvania want to sell one? anyone? bueller?
I'm sure the guitar center used site would have some. Huge +1 for Gary's suggestion of a powered monitor. The amp models sound good through a powered monitor and besides that, you can run a mic, keys, drum machine, whatever through it. They're very useful in a lot of different situations.