Hello, so I'm playing electric guitar for a year and one or two months, and the hardest solos I've learned are Enter Sandman, Aces High and the last solo of Sweet Child O' Mine (which is actually not really hard).
As you can understand, I don't know how to improve my alternate picking, and get it faster.
So I'll be glad for exercises to improve my technique, and also songs or solos that will be a bit harder then the solos I already know.
My favourite bands are Metallica and Megadeth (of course), Avenged, Lamb of God, Alter Bridge, and also Guns n Roses and Slash's Snakepit...
Thank you very much!!!
speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina (book) is pretty good.

You could probably get most of it (or very, very similar stuff) for free on youtube etc. though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All of those band's guitarists have technique videos on youtube.

To improve your alternate picking, you practice is it. Start slow, gradually increase speed. Remember to not tense up and play as smooth and relaxed as possible sir.

Happy jammin
Start slow and gradually build up, it takes time but don't concentrate too much on speed because it's gonna be a good while before you're as fast as those guys, so practice it but know that it's gonna take awhile, speed means next to nothing, it's a nice asset to have but it doesn't mean much so don't over think it
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by Dave_Mc
speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina (book) is pretty good.

You could probably get most of it (or very, very similar stuff) for free on youtube etc. though.

I have the book on my computer. What exercises should I do?
Because things like hammer on and pull off I already know...

Quote by Anon17
Before you do anything else, read the sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

Now read it again since you probably skimmed it. Read and understand every word.

I'll read it
Quote by ygil1234

The point is not to learn how to do more things but to learn how to do the basics really really well. That means minimising the amount of movement you make, minimising the amount of tension in your body, and making sure your hands are 100% coordinated. You might be able to do hammer-ons and pull-offs already... but they're probably not going to be that good. Which is fine, because almost no one's are, that's what we're all working towards.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ygil1234

Pages 16-27 (inclusive) seem to be the picking exercises.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Synchronization is the key to speed and accuracy, that is why you play slow first to get the muscle memory, so when the lefy hand frets, the right will at the same time. In time this should become natural. Once you get comfortable with that use a metronome to speed it up, start at say 70bpm at 16th notes amd slowly go faster. You will have big leaps at first dependig how well sync and how well ur technique is, which I mean is tension, holding the pick too tight or frrtting too hard, or too much movement on picking hand. Improve with these thigs first. You get to 170bpm accurately which is a big jump and if that is ur max with accuracy, slow down ay a more comfortable speed and play it again, over time ull get faster. Shredding, idefine is a blur of notes where it seem to just flow maguraly like a river, for my taste shredding starts at around 170 for me at 16th notes, slow but fast enough. But dont forget speed is nothing just another skill but when applied properply, it sounds great.
Play with ur soul, shredd your soul