I'm stuck.

I am desperate to be in a band and I'm finding it fkn impossible to get any decent members. I play guitar and sing and I want to be in a Grunge 2 or 3 piece influenced by Royal Blood, Darlia, Drenge and yes I suppose Nirvana but I'm not gonna be playing Teen Spirit covers. I'm 15 and I've tried several methods to get some members but with no luck. They're is nobody at my school who play drums or bass (I know this for a fact so putting up posters or whatever isn't the solution) and all of tge internet band sites neef you to be 16 or 18. I also go to a rock school thing every week but again there is nobody that is suitable there. Anyone in my age group plays guitar and the drummers and bassists are about 12 and have neverplayed before the school started a about a month ago. I have originals and my gear is a Gibson Les Paul through various pedals into a Laney VC30. But I also want a Jag. Does anyone know what I should do?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Expand your musical horizons and jam with whoever; the pickier you are, the harder it is to find bandmates.
Finding bandmates who fits perfectly with a limited vision like that never happens. It can almost be impossible to find one singer, drummer, bassist etc. that fits in an almost complete band if you have a limited set of requirements. Either you learn to compromise and get along, or your band implodes sooner than you can count in the next song...

You have to look at what you can offer them. If they want to play with you, they will find you if you are out there. Otherwise you have to make do with what you can get.

There are probably very few musicians out there who do exactly what they want to do. Even in your favourite band, there are compromises. Even the bands with a clear leader. I know that in one of my favourite bands, a glam/hard rock act, the drummer is a death metal drummer. That is the sort of compromise you do to be a musician in a successful band.

Of course, you have to like what you do, but most musicians find something to like in most things they are doing, even if it is not their absolute favourite music in the world. Listen to new stuff, things you have never listened to before. Chances are you will find things you love in the most distant of places. The more music you know, the bigger the chances to become a good musician and find other people to play with.

I started out listening to Iron Maiden. For a while it was only Iron Maiden. I would never listen to anything else, and that was what I wanted to play. Only that. No wonder I never found anyone to play with. How stupid and boring did I seem to be? Probably 11 on a scale that went to 10... Today I also listen to new wave, glam metal, synth rock, folk rock, arena rock, prog rock, post grunge and power pop among other things.

My last band was a progressive rock act, and I had really fun with that also at times, altough I didn't play what I would play if I had taken all decisions myself and handpicked all members.

Hope that helps.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Well lets look at your issues:

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
They're is nobody at my school who play drums or bass (I know this for a fact so putting up posters or whatever isn't the solution)

Wow you give up fast - I bet that there is someone that plays drums there.

That said at the age of 15 looking for fellow musicians within your own school rarely works out, because even though there might be a guy who is totally awesome on drums, he could be denied because he isn't cool enough and you're worried what your friends might think hanging out with the weird kid.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
all of tge internet band sites neef you to be 16 or 18.

Craigslist/gumtree have age limits too - just ignore them an post anyway. The worst that can happen is your add comes down.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I also go to a rock school thing every week but again there is nobody that is suitable there. Anyone in my age group plays guitar and the drummers and bassists are about 12 and have neverplayed before the school started a about a month ago.

That's a pretty weird spread for a rock school thing. I've never been in one, but my little sister has and the ages seemed pretty evenly spread over the instruments.

Try this out:
- Put posters up at your school looking for band members. However, don't do this if you're afraid of being seen with the weird kid.
- Put ads on Craigslist/Gumtree seeking bandmates
- Look at Rockschool again, make absolutely sure that there is a total of zero drummers closer to your age. If there is nobody, ask one of the rockschool teachers if they know anyone or a way to find people.

I guarantee you that the drummer you want is out there. You just need to try a bit harder to find him/her, and not immediately give up when you run into one dead end.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well, you're only 15, so there is plenty of time to find a band. And I know this may sound ridiculous, but don't let the fact that a band member is only 12 make you not want them in your band. For example, George Harrison was only 14 when he joined The Beatles, and John was 17, so that's the same age difference. And don't limit yourself to just play Grunge. It shouldn't matter what genre you play, as long as you enjoy it. Also, if someone plays the guitar it shouldn't be difficult for them to pick up the bass.

Good luck on getting your band together. I hope it works out for you!
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Start listening to some other music too. I'm sure there are bands in other genres that you like. Just don't care about the genre. When I was in a military (party) band, I enjoyed playing songs that I would never otherwise listen to. We played all that radio crap and it was still fun. I didn't like the songs but I liked playing them.

And yeah, I'm sure there are drummers in your school. There are drummers in every school. Drums are one of the most popular instruments. And if you want to find a bassist and can't find one, ask a guitarist to play the bass for you.

And yeah, in the internet nobody can tell how old you really are. You can always cheat and say you are older than you actually are. There are a lot of people under the age of 13 in Facebook, even though the age limit is 13.

You shouldn't expect to find the best drummer and bassist. Just try finding decent drummer and bassist that can keep time. People will get better. It may first require playing some simpler songs. But that's how it goes. So you may need to play Smells Like Teen Spirit and all those simple Nirvana songs first. You need to learn to play as a band first.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Ok thanks for all the advice guys. But I can 100% confirm that there are no drummers at school. I have asked the teachers if anyone does drum lessons and there is nobody plus my school is small so I know everyone in it. I live in an area where it's frowned upon to play music tbh and it's not a popular thing whatsoever. There are 8 people my music class all of whom are pretty traditional other than me and my friend. My friend is the only available guitarist at my school and he is an acoustic player-.people have tried to get him to play bass before.

And there are only around 15 people at the Rock school anyway. The spread is stupid it's 12-18.

Thing is I'm a very independent person and I like to go out to gigs and play late and loud. I can't be held back by some kid (none of the drummers are any good either, I played drums for 6 years so I should know how to spot someone who can keep time at the least) who is still pretty much a little kid. Also, none of them have their own kit.

Maybe it's just a case of waiting a while but it's just no fun in the meantime.

Since you play the drums, and you can't find a drummer, maybe you should fill that position in your band. Then find a couple of guitarists and a bassist.

It's a thought.
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Quote by songbird64
Since you play the drums, and you can't find a drummer, maybe you should fill that position in your band. Then find a couple of guitarists and a bassist.

It's a thought.

Not happening. My passion is guitar. But thanks anyway.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Not happening. My passion is guitar. But thanks anyway.

Ok, but this is sort of your problem. Everything I've read in this thread is you being inflexible. You want it your way, 100% of the time. That's great, but that's limiting your choices here. You say you want to be in a band, but you're making it so specific as to what you want in a band that you're basically locking yourself out of a band.

Stop being so close-minded. If there are no drummers and you play the drums, then you should be the drummer in your band. It's give and take, man. Do you want to be in a band or not?
You could be in many bands at the same time. The first band you are in doesn't have to be the last band you will ever be in. For example Dave Grohl started as a drummer but look at him now - he's the front man of Foo Fighters.

You could start as the drummer and as you gain some experience, join another band as a guitarist. Do you want to play in a band or play the guitar? Of course in an ideal case you play the guitar in a band. But think about it. You can play the drums. You want to play in a band. Why not be the drummer? That way you get some band playing experience and it may turn out to be fun.

Even though it would be fun to play the guitar in a band, I'm the bassist in our band. But it's still fun. Well, playing any instrument in a band is fun - and I also think bass has its own thing and I enjoy playing it. But in the beginning I think I would have preferred playing the guitar. I might also have preferred playing 80s glam metal. Now I'm completely happy with playing instrumental rock music on bass (we have our own style that is really nothing like 80s glam metal - and I'm glad with it).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You want to play in a band. Why not be the drummer? That way you get some band playing experience and it may turn out to be fun.

As an added bonus, playing drums in a band will only help your sense of rhythm, which will make you a better guitar player in the long run.
^ Yeah. But really, any band experience will make you better at playing in a band, no matter what instrument you play.

Also, as I said, your first band is most likely not going to be your last band. Just start jamming with some guys and see what happens. It doesn't have to be that serious. After you have learned to play as a band, it is easier to see if it works as a "serious" band or if you just want to continue jamming together and having fun.

I have always been pretty active when it comes to music. If there is a gig and they need somebody to play some instrument(s), I'm ready to do it. I also like project bands that do just one gig and that's it. They always have a certain goal so we know exactly what we are going to do. And we also know that we don't have to continue playing together forever. I'm ready to play all instruments that I can play and sometimes instruments that I can't play that well (I have been the drummer and the pianist in some songs and I'm not any good at either of them).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You could be in many bands at the same time. The first band you are in doesn't have to be the last band you will ever be in. For example Dave Grohl started as a drummer but look at him now - he's the front man of Foo Fighters.

You could start as the drummer and as you gain some experience, join another band as a guitarist. Do you want to play in a band or play the guitar? Of course in an ideal case you play the guitar in a band. But think about it. You can play the drums. You want to play in a band. Why not be the drummer? That way you get some band playing experience and it may turn out to be fun.

Even though it would be fun to play the guitar in a band, I'm the bassist in our band. But it's still fun. Well, playing any instrument in a band is fun - and I also think bass has its own thing and I enjoy playing it. But in the beginning I think I would have preferred playing the guitar. I might also have preferred playing 80s glam metal. Now I'm completely happy with playing instrumental rock music on bass (we have our own style that is really nothing like 80s glam metal - and I'm glad with it).

That's what I was going to say.

There's nothing wrong with knowing exactly what you want, and holding out for exactly what you want, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you'd only be happy playing exactly what you want, that's absolutely your prerogative (plus you're young enough that you can afford to hold out for a little while, too).

However, as MM rightly says (as usual), you can still be doing that in your head, and always keeping an eye out for exactly the type of band and players you want to play with, while also playing with other people/bands which might not be your main focus, but which is still letting you improve etc., and you might find that you actually enjoy it, too.

Even if it always feels like second-best, the instant that "perfect" band comes along you can dump the compromise one, and no harm done.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't be picky and just make a band with people you like.

As you play shows you will meet other musicians and if they like you and think you are good they will hit you up.
Haveing a band should be fun so just have fun.put an ad in the local music store looking for players.