E -----7
B -----7
G -----6
D -----7
A -----7
E -----0

Would it be proper technique to play the B and the E string with your pinky? Or is that bad for your pinky. Thanks for the help guys!
I've never seen that chord before, but I don't know else you could play it other than barring with your pinky on both the e and B strings. There are 5 fretted notes in that chord, so one of your fingers is going to have to fret at least 2 notes, and barring the A and D strings without muting the G string would be pretty tricky (if not impossible depending on the size of the top part of your finger)
Quote by bptrav
I've never seen that chord before, but I don't know else you could play it other than barring with your pinky on both the e and B strings. There are 5 fretted notes in that chord, so one of your fingers is going to have to fret at least 2 notes, and barring the A and D strings without muting the G string would be pretty tricky (if not impossible depending on the size of the top part of your finger)

I found your 2nd option a bit easier than the first, but as you say, it will depend on your fingers - Bass to treble open, middle, middle, index, ring, pinky.
Quote by Tony Done
I found your 2nd option a bit easier than the first, but as you say, it will depend on your fingers - Bass to treble open, middle, middle, index, ring, pinky.

I tried this before I got a chance to read the replies, it seemed to be the best option for me.

You could always change the voicing a bit if you can't find any shape comfortable, granted you're not a purist. E (0) and A (7) both result in an E, so you could mute either string and still have the exact same chord. Additionally, you could play the A string open because the D (7) is also an A.

EDIT: It took a while, but I think I can identify this chord as an inversion of F♯m11 (without the 9th, so it might actually be F#m7add11- theory virtuosos help me here) so now you can really change the voicing if you're all right with doing that. Then again, the fact that there are there's the E (0) and the A (7) will make the E really stand out at the bottom of the chord, so it might actually have a root of E.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 26, 2014,
you could simply just not play the note on the A string. That note is an E which will be drowned out by the lower E on the low E string. Shouldn't make much of a difference in the sound if you simply don't play that note. Then you could play it as open E, mute A string, middle finder D string, index finger G string, ring finger B string, and pinky high E string.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I don't like this chord so I'd rather ask like where did you find this chord (voicing). Tabs are silly sometimes you know. If I had to make it, it seems most playable and practicable as 23144 with the lower 2 barre as suggested by someone else as well.
Quote by Chancemorine
E -----7
B -----7
G -----6
D -----7
A -----7
E -----0

Would it be proper technique to play the B and the E string with your pinky? Or is that bad for your pinky. Thanks for the help guys!

That's a terrible voicing, but if you have no other options ( I would highly recommend leaving one of those notes out), than any way you can pull it off would be fine.