my intentions are to use this with my orange dual for blues/blues rock boosted by a zendrive. the guitars that will only be used with it are three Fender teles. one is a USA std. (dimarzio twang kings) ,the second is a Fender Plus II (nashville style, came with lace sensors) the third is a 52 Anniversery Reissue (AVRI).

i don't need a ton of compression but would like it if possible.

so ideally i want something that can sound good with just a little compression, but capable of more.

i had a MXR dyna comp and hated it. sold it for the same price a few days later.

i think the Diamond Compressor is pretty nice, but i haven't played one.

i really REALLY don't want to break $200

used ideally
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for blues/blues rock
Why in the world do you want a compressor?

An important part of blues is the feel or however you wanna call it, and feel is also created by dynamics, which compressors reduce.
So yeah, why would you use a compressor for blues?

Anyway, if you want something transparent and natural sounding and it has to be a guitar pedal, $200 are not enough if ya ask me.
If you don't care for it to sound transparent and natural my first pick would be the MXR dyna comp.
If you don't care for it to be a guitar pedal then you can get an FMR RNC for transparency or a 3630 if you want to add some spank to the signal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Wait for a used Empress Compressor.

It's the only comp worth getting for subtle comp, IMO.

If you want hard limiting, get the Maxon CP9 Pro+. I have this one. I also have a Boss CS-3 and the Maxon just makes the Boss look like a toy. It's a wonderful piece of gear, price shows.

EDIT: There happens to be one on eBay right now. Ending in 5h though. Dunno if you'll be up in time to see this.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 26, 2014,
I've tried a few, including a Dynacomp clone, and I thought that was too bright. OTOH, I liked the Ross type, which has a very similar circuit but warmer tone. - I had a homemade one that was switchable between the two.

Of the others I've tried the BYOC 5-knob kit is my favourite because the tone controls are very good. Among the bought ones I've tried, the best is unexpected, a Boss LMB-3, but it doesn't colour the sound and the controls are logical - level, enhance, ratio and threshold. The enhance control isn't much use for guitar, unless you want brighter, but the other two set degree of compression and compression threshold in a more logical way than the types that have attack and sustain, without any of those odd release effects some compressors are prone to.
I've heard a lot of people calling the Walrus Audio Deep Six the best compressor pedal out there, and honestly it looks pretty amazing. You could check it out.
it may seem odd why i would want a compressor for blues, but with my 52AVRI tele the B and G get lost out a tiny bit when played clean on the orange. just a little bit. i don't want squashed. i just need to get those strings more audible.

i was just thinking maybe i should put an EQ out front? i have a non functioning 10 band (but i can''t figure out what is wrong) so maybe an EQ would do me better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it may seem odd why i would want a compressor for blues, but with my 52AVRI tele
You really do wanna make me feel poor with my xaviere tele don't ya?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the B and G get lost out a tiny bit when played clean on the orange. just a little bit. i don't want squashed. i just need to get those strings more audible.
Does that mean when you play a chord you don't hear them two much or that when you play single notes on these two strings the volume's lower?

If it's the first case you would want a compressor with enough controls to let you set both threshold and ratio.
Well even a two knob compressor might do what you want but I won't trust such thing with money.

If it's the second case then a compressor wouldn't help, you need an eq or bigger strings or to adjust your p/ups' height.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Short of going with a Rockerverb with EL34s or 6L6s, I'd play around with the Fat channel's gain and tone knobs.

This allowed even my inexpensive Squier CV '50s Tele sound authoritative. The Dual is a nice amp but the EL84s can only do so much.
Quote by Spambot_2
Does that mean when you play a chord you don't hear them two much or that when you play single notes on these two strings the volume's lower?

If it's the first case you would want a compressor with enough controls to let you set both threshold and ratio.
Well even a two knob compressor might do what you want but I won't trust such thing with money.

If it's the second case then a compressor wouldn't help, you need an eq or bigger strings or to adjust your p/ups' height.

exactly, i have messed around with pickup height but i liked it best where it was at. its not so much in a chord, but even on a blues lead.

i should also say that what i am doing is leaving the volume all the way up and turning gain to increase volume, basically making it to some degree like a NMV amp. the zendrive through it is perfect for getting the grit, and this is turned up pretty good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Ippon
Short of going with a Rockerverb with EL34s or 6L6s, I'd play around with the Fat channel's gain and tone knobs.

This allowed even my inexpensive Squier CV '50s Tele sound authoritative. The Dual is a nice amp but the EL84s can only do so much.

the fat channel on the amp is great. i love it. i boost it with a MI audio blues pro and it screams quite well. i had a nice chugga chugga with it too, i had a clip on my profile (before UG took it down) of it.

why you hatin' on el84's? do you hate on 1974x's too?

ippon. be a real man use KT88's
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 26, 2014,
woudl the diamond (yellow one) do what i need? http://www.guitarcenter.com/DIAMOND-PEDALS-Used-DIAMOND-PEDALS-Compressor-Effect-Pedal-110548863-i3998932.gc

GC has a used one for $140
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the fat channel on the amp is great. i love it. i boost it with a MI audio blues pro and it screams quite well. i had a nice chugga chugga with it too, i had a clip on my profile (before UG took it down) of it.

I just don't get the compressor requirement for what you need.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

ippon. be a real man use KT88's

For cheap, check out the Shuguang KT88-98. For something similar with better materials, Shuguang Treasure KT88-Z and Psvane KT88-T. Those are what I have in the Twin Jets, ProMod, and UltraLead.

I used the Shuguang KT88-98 for the BlackStar Series One 200 and Traynor YBA200.
Quote by Ippon
For cheap, check out the Shuguang KT88-98. For something similar with better materials, Shuguang Treasure KT88-Z and Psvane KT88-T. Those are what I have in the Twin Jets, ProMod, and UltraLead.

I used the Shuguang KT88-98 for the BlackStar Series One 200 and Traynor YBA200.

mine are all JJ in the PM and Nitro, don't remember the Sig:X. but i will look into those.

back to topic, what would you recommend for a compressor for my purposes?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Spambot_2

I use one for fingerpicked blues and slide played clean or almost for the very reason you indicate. - It evens out the constant changes between single notes, double stops and chords. The LMB-3 works fine in that ccontext, having ratio and threshold rather than attack, sustain and release.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
exactly, i have messed around with pickup height but i liked it best where it was at. its not so much in a chord, but even on a blues lead.
I really think you should get an FMR RNC.

You want something fairly transparent, with instant attack, possibly mid release, settable threshold and a hell of a nice somewhat hard ratio setting, and the little voice in my mind is spelling RNC in every language it knows.

You could probably find a used one for less than $200, maybe even $150.

That said, if you want a pedal, more or less whatever pedal will do what you want, and more settable parameters are something I would take over a bit better sound quality in this case.
Quote by Tony Done
The LMB-3 works fine in that ccontext, having ratio and threshold rather than attack, sustain and release.
While I get what you mean, no compressor has a sustain control
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
i am pretty sure i am going diamond. i was talking to the guys in the pedalboard thread.

i do play many other things other than blues, so its multipurpose.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ well my fussy terminology strikes again

I meant sustain in the ADSR sense, while what these knobs do is sustaining the signal more by applying a stronger ratio, possibly a lower threshold, and a long release.

Though yeah, I got that now, sorry.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ well my fussy terminology strikes again

I meant sustain in the ADSR sense, while what these knobs do is sustaining the signal more by applying a stronger ratio, possibly a lower threshold, and a long release.

Though yeah, I got that now, sorry.

As a result of this thread, I went and had a play with the LMB-3 yesterday, specifically the enhancer control. I can see a use for it in the guitar context. - I tried it with a guitar with a fairly warm P90 neck pickup, and it made it sound a lot like a vintage strat SC, maybe with a bit more bounce in the attack. - Just another option for increasing tonal versatility.
its going to for sure be a Diamond Compressor. i can find them used very easily under $150 and it seems to be "the" compressor according to a lot of people in the pedalboard thread, and the videos do what i want best.

Diamond it is.

thank you everybody for your patience and time. my friends.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
So no one tried the Barber Tone Press here? Well not sure what it goes for used but it has the transparent thing going on well, that & the wampler ego are worth looking into as well.
nobody here knows.

fairfield effects the accountant compressor. it can do subtle. it can do heavy squashed. country twang, even out the notes, sultans of swing to genesis "thats all" solo (song with a ludacris amount of compression on the guitar solo).

its 150, hand made, mini, 1 knob, and a couple of dip switches. its fantastic.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by steven_ferns84
So no one tried the Barber Tone Press here? Well not sure what it goes for used but it has the transparent thing going on well, that & the wampler ego are worth looking into as well.

the ego was the first i checked out thoroughly, the tone press i have looked at before, but i didn't realie that the diamond comps are going for $140, they were the best in the videos. but i did think about the tone press.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by steven_ferns84

lots of love for it on tgp, check out the threads there.