I am looking for some advice on upgrading my set up. I have been playing on a line 6 spider IV 75 watt combo for the last few years. While that was a solid practice amp, I just can’t use it to record. This led me on a journey to find a new combo amp that is tube driven. I really want something that is versatile because my playing style and natural sound is, well different I guess you would say. I love rich; effects pedal driven cleans, but also need a slightly abrasive, but tight rhythm tone. People tell me my style is akin to Coheed and Cambria meets 90’s Smashing Pumpkins with some harder aspects. I really want to preserve that style and expand upon its sound but have had a rough go of finding the right amp. I demoed a few of the Blackstar combo amps, both the Venue HT series and the Metal line. I found them to be very disappointing for as much as they cost. The sound was too bass heavy and over all muddy, absolutely no definition. I eventually bought the HT Metal 5H “mini” half stack from guitar center based on watching a ton of YouTube videos. It all had them dialing in some good hard rock tones and some dark sounding cleans. I figured I could work with that, but I was wrong. It suffered from the same muddy tones as the combo’s. I returned it and moved on to the Marshall DSL40C, the Vox Valvetronix VT120+, Peavey ValveKing II and lastly the Peavey 6505+ 112. They were either too metal, no cleans or had a thin hollow sound. At this stage I am left scratching my head. The Line6 sounded bad but it was less than $300 bucks and still is. Most of these range in the upper $6-800 bucks. My budget is anywhere from $500-1300. I don’t play with a full band, just home recording. I think I am going to have to buy two amps, one for cleans and the other for distorted rhythms.

Tl;dr – Which tube combo is good at achieving alternative, yet hard rock tones while still having solid cleans.
You're gigging? And where are you in the world?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I tried an Orange head and cab at Guitar Center. No idea which one, but it sounded super fuzzy. I was surprised to find out that Orange amp brand was behind Jim Root's and Jimmy Page's tone. Are they all fuzzy like that?

I do not gig and I am located in Oklahoma.
Have you looked into the Egnater Tweaker? I play the 40 watt head through the single cab with a V30, and that's for everything ranging from crystal clear cleans to hardcore and a bit of metal. There is a 112 combo version for the 40 watt.
Don't know which orange you tried, but I have tried their solid state amps and i did not care for them.
Egnater rebel or renegade may be up your alley. i owned both for a little while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What about an Older DSL? Really loved my head, never played a combo.

I very surprised with the tiny terror combos from Orange, but I'm not sure if they make a 2 channel one or something similar in your price range. I'd look at a used JCM 2000 DSL
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
What about an Older DSL? Really loved my head, never played a combo.

I very surprised with the tiny terror combos from Orange, but I'm not sure if they make a 2 channel one or something similar in your price range. I'd look at a used JCM 2000 DSL

dual terror. two channels 30 watts can run on 15 and 7. (doesn't change a whole lot other that a bit of headroom at high volume). the first channel is identical. the second channel is that fat channel, and it actually rips pretty good, throw a boost in front and you are able hit metal.

i think mine is around three years old. never had a problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Sepuloren
I am looking for some advice on upgrading my set up. I have been playing on a line 6 spider IV 75 watt combo for the last few years. While that was a solid practice amp, I just can’t use it to record.

Have you tried recording using the direct out into your computer? And have you tried using the Line 6 editor to modify sounds, or are you simply using the presets? I've found that amp can sound a whole lot different through a good set of recording monitors and/or through a studio-level set of headphones. Might be worth trying that before you spend money on another amp for recording.

And if recording is your goal, you might consider getting JUST a preamp-type setup (do you really need power amp/speakers for recording), such as a Pod HD (the "bean" desktop model can be found down to around $150 used these days). I've been using one of these coupled with a Torpedo C.A.B. (provides awesome IRs of both cabinets AND tube power amps), and the combination ranks up there with my Axe-FX Ultra.

There's also the possibility of recording clean guitar into your DAW and then "reamping" that track through almost anything (including software sims) from there.

Never assume you need a tube amp for recording these days...
@Jilson324 I am not familiar with the Egnater Tweaker brand. I will look around for them and give them a try.

@paul.housley.7 I agree and really, I didn’t like their boutique amps either despite many of my favorite guitar players having used them on a lot of classic cuts.

@trashedlostfdup second Egnater recommendation, I will definitely be checking them out.

@Katsock I am hunting pawn shops at this point. I hope I find am able to find something along those lines. Some of my favorite players have the JCM 2000 in their arsenal.

@dspellman I tried using the direct out with a fairly good interface and some great speakers. I also used the tone maker app; I think it was called Line 6 Monkey. It all sounded like terrible digital garbage. I see and hear people using the pods for their tone on YouTube, but I am a little leery going the digital route again. I have tried every mass market software based amp simulator out there using a relatively expensive interface and guitar. It all just sounds like a weak digital mess. That’s what leads me to wanting a tube amp.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I have some more ideas and amps to try. Have any of you tried a Vox AC30 or a Fender Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III? Would they be good for the style of sound I’m after?
Quote by Sepuloren
Have any of you tried a Vox AC30 or a Fender Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III? Would they be good for the style of sound I’m after?

Hi Sepuloren. Oh how I feel your dilema! Choosing amps is so time consuming and can cost you along the way. Anyway, I've tried a friend's Vox AC30 and I had an earlier Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but found the Vox a bit thin in comparison. You can push the drive well but the Fender had more under the hood and needed less encouragement I guess.

Oh, and definitely check out Egnater. I think you're in good ol' US so you should be ok. Only say that because I've seen people from UK after them and I think they're harder to get in UK.
Engl Thunder or Screamer should be in your budget and would fit the bill.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here