Just about an hour ago, I was jamming on my 5150, the volume was only on 3.5 and the gain was at about 2, and everything sounded fine. All of the sudden, the sound completely cuts out, and whenever I played, a very quiet hiss would let out. The tubes were still lit and all. I've got a show coming up soon and I don't really know if I can fix this myself or identify what the problem could be. Help?
First I'd get a new set of power tubes and at least 1 or 2 12ax7's to try in different positions. If that doesn't work then a tech will need to have a look at it. You also need to look and see if any of the fuses on the inside of the chassis are burnt also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
First I'd get a new set of power tubes and at least 1 or 2 12ax7's to try in different positions. If that doesn't work then a tech will need to have a look at it. You also need to look and see if any of the fuses on the inside of the chassis are burnt also.

Thanks, I was thinking of getting new tubes anyway. Also, this probably sounds incredibly dumb but I have been using an instrument cable to connect my head and cab for about two weeks, since my friend has my speaker cable. Is it possible that this did significant damage to it?
Quote by BigBumbis
Thanks, I was thinking of getting new tubes anyway. Also, this probably sounds incredibly dumb but I have been using an instrument cable to connect my head and cab for about two weeks, since my friend has my speaker cable. Is it possible that this did significant damage to it?

Yes you could have fried your OT which is a $300+ fix.

Have you tried using a speaker cable? Do not try your amp at all until you get a speaker cable. You might have gotten lucky and only fried the instrument cable.

Remember never use a instrument cable for a speaker cable, they are not designed for the power that the amp produces and the small wire will burn.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate