Hi, people. Comparing current Fender American Deluxe Stratocasters to current/recent ESP Vintage Pluses (E-II or recent Standard series), which ones are made of higher-quality woods?

PS: I am not talking about 10-year or older ESPs because, from what I understand, they might be much better than the recent ones.
They probably both import their woods from exactly the same sources as one another. They're both fine.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Without being the one who selects the wood for the production of the exact models in both factories, how could we possibly answer that?

Even if we could know, lots of other things has an effect on the product that comes out at the end of a production line. It varies, no matter how tight quality control you have. There is the material, which is wood and thus not exactly easy to judge, and there are humans building the instruments.

Let us settle for that both are among the highest quality guitars you can get from a regular production line. Play many of both and see which you like the best and buy the guitar you have tried, if you want to be sure.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
ESP has much better QC imo, very well set up out of the box. Both are high end instruments and you cant really go wrong with either assuming you like both.
Personally I prefer ESPs - but that's down to brand preference. Both are high quality instruments.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by HomerSGR
Without being the one who selects the wood for the production of the exact models in both factories, how could we possibly answer that?

Even if we could know, lots of other things has an effect on the product that comes out at the end of a production line. It varies, no matter how tight quality control you have. There is the material, which is wood and thus not exactly easy to judge, and there are humans building the instruments.

Let us settle for that both are among the highest quality guitars you can get from a regular production line. Play many of both and see which you like the best and buy the guitar you have tried, if you want to be sure.

The thing is, lots of people say that Fender Japan and other Japanese stratocaster copies (Tokai, Edwards) are better than Fender, even if the hardware and pickups are not as good on the Japanese ones. I assume it's all down to the wood then. But no one mentions ESP among them.
Quote by andriusd
The thing is, lots of people say that Fender Japan and other Japanese stratocaster copies (Tokai, Edwards) are better than Fender, even if the hardware and pickups are not as good on the Japanese ones. I assume it's all down to the wood then. But no one mentions ESP among them.

Fender Japan are rebranded Tokai. Tokai and another factory that I can't recall the name of at the moment, before 1997 it was Fujigen.

And the general consensus is that Japanese guitars are very good, yes. The reason ESP is not often mentioned among makers of Stratocaster copies is that ESP are generally not that well known for Fender copies, but rather for their customshop and their export models aimed almost exclusively at the metal genre. The other thing you are missing here is craftmanship. Wood quality does not matter much compared to how well the instrument is put together.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
^ dyna gakki maybe?

i don't think tokai makes the MIJ fenders any more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ dyna gakki maybe?

i don't think tokai makes the MIJ fenders any more.

I was told by one distrubutor they stopped a couple of years.
^ Tokai?

I think I read on the tokai forum that they'd stopped, and the fact they're producing more or less straight fender copies again would suggest they have, since they stopped them when they were making guitars for fender...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Tokai?

Yes

Quote by Dave_Mc
I think I read on the tokai forum that they'd stopped, and the fact they're producing more or less straight fender copies again would suggest they have, since they stopped them when they were making guitars for fender...

So they started producing straight fender copies again pretty recently? That is, five years ago they didn't do that?
thanks Just wasn't sure if you were talking about tokai or dyna gakki

yeah for a year or two there their straight fender copies stopped. this could have been 5 years ago, though, it's not like it was last week. they introduced, for example, the gs100 instead of their straight strat clone, which was a more modern-style strat with a different scratchplate shape, wilkinson trem etc.