Hi all. Do you have any advice re: string tension for a beginner? I have acquired a guitar with a couple of strings missing and I don't know where to start replacing them?
For one, replace all the strings, not just the missing ones. And, as a beginner, you don't need to be worrying about string tension. Just put a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (the ones in the pink package, surely available at any music shop) on it. Bring the guitar to the shop with you though, and have someone there look it over to make sure the action isn't unplayably high, and the neck isn't all out of whack.
Have the guitar set up properly, this is more important than string gauge, IMO.

I also like Ernie Ball, but would say 10-46 Regular Slinky rather than 9-42 Super Slinky. They are comfortable to play, and you can always go skinnier or heavier if you don't like them in the longer term.
^ I would go with 9s as a beginner. I still find 10s noticeably harder to play than 9s, and I've been playing for years.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go for 9's for a few months then move up to 10's.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
i agree with most of the others 9's are a good place to start. pink ernie ball super-slinkies the exact sting i started on.

in the future you may want a thicker gauge but as a beginner you have enough to deal with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
All the above answers are good. The only thing I would add is if there aren't any Ernie Balls, don't worry about it. Any brand is going to be fine for you as a beginner, but as a starting point I would stick to Ernie Ball or D'Addario. Both good quality and reasonably priced, and you'll find either one at every decent guitar store.

As for some more general advice:

The gauge you like is far more important than brand at this stage, as you progress try a heap of different ones and find what you like. As above, probably start with 9-42s, but a little heavier like 10-46s would be fine as well. Any bigger than that wouldn't be too sensible.

Also get your guitar set up correctly by a tech, that's also something you can learn to do yourself over time. Ask a friend or yor guitar teacher to show you how, if you can, otherwise just check out the countless tutorials on youtube. For now get it done professionally.

Get into the habit of changing all the strings relatively regularly (for me it's ideally every few months with the strings I use and how I store/clean my gear- this is entirely dependent on your personal preference), not just when one breaks. This will be beneficial for you in the future.

Once you narrow down the string thickness you like, try a few different brands. It will probably take you months/years to narrow down to your ultimate preference, and you'll find it changes depending on your play style etc. By this stage you'll know how to change the strings yourself, how to set up the action on your guitar etc. It all becomes clear in time.
Quote by shiggityswah

Get into the habit of changing all the strings relatively regularly (for me it's ideally every few months with the strings I use and how I store/clean my gear- this is entirely dependent on your personal preference), not just when one breaks. This will be beneficial for you in the future.

Everythin said in here is true, but this is probably he most important thing. I know a guy who only changes strings when one breaks, and even then only changes the broken one, so some of them have been on his guitar for years. It sounds horrible, and it plays even worse. Dont be that guy OP, please!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.