i have a scarliet 2i4 that will be here on tuesday.

what i am using is a gateway laptop Windows 8.1 2gb ram core i3. i know it sucks but t will get the basics for me, i just want to be able to record two tracks,

i have two shitty Rockett monitors but they will do for now

i also have a synth (but no midi cables), i will mess around with synth after i get the rest figured out.

i will be using reaper

i have at least a dozen long monster cables (got a stupid awesome used deal on them used). the work great for me.

i have extra speaker cables, one or two RCA cables.

i have a SM57 and cable. will pick up a second soon.

is there anything i am missing?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Mic stands and some over ear headphones so you don't get spill form the track playing through the speakers on your recordings, you should be fine with the SM57 just while you familiarise yourself with the gear.

The SM57 is what I'd describe as an essential microphone, it's a good starting point for recording anything, once you get a feel for how it sounds and how to place it on different instruments you should look into a large diaphragm condenser** so you can get a grasp of contrast between mic types, then you can look into expanding your mic collection how you see fit.

Also, the Rokit speakers aren't bad at all you know, they're by no means a flat response but they will provide a great deal of clarity, just be mindful of exaggerated bass frequencies.

** You don't have to break the bank with a condenser either, I've got an Se2000 condenser which costs about the same as the Sm57 if not slightly more and it works wonders!

Good luck dude
Quote by EatShreddies
Mic stands and some over ear headphones so you don't get spill form the track playing through the speakers on your recordings, you should be fine with the SM57 just while you familiarise yourself with the gear.
This.
Quote by EatShreddies
Also, the Rokit speakers aren't bad at all you know, they're by no means a flat response but they will provide a great deal of clarity, just be mindful of exaggerated bass frequencies.
I respectfully disagree.

Imo, what comes out of krk rp's a muddy hell of a mess.
Not flat, not clear, no good stereo separation, no punch.

The monitors are the things I would upgrade first.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd say money could be better spent than on monitors when you're still learning, every product serves its purpose from line 6 spider amps to behringer microphones.

The Rokits will be fine, I've been using an old pair of RP6's for about 6 years, sure when you play them next to a pair of Genelcs or a decent pair of Tanoys they do sound a bit bass heavy and a little less definition in the mids, but they've served me well! I know the speakers well and know where to compensate for certain frequencies, always A/Bing against other mix to compare and checking on other headphones and speakers I've got access to.

A lot of the beastie boys records were recorded with 10 dollar karaoke microphones and mixed on cheap hi fi speakers, its about knowing your equipment and you don't need to spend a huge amount of money while you're developing your ears, you've just to be conscious of the gear you've got at not assume that everything sounds perfect in the environment you work in
Rokits are great. I agree with everything above, if you spend enough time with any monitors then you will be able to mix clearly on them. I have the money to upgrade mine, but I can't bring myself to do it because of the time commitment to learning a new response. It will be a small setback in my current workflow, so that purchase is being put off until I have more time to learn new monitors.

If you have a little extra cash, going out and getting some Auralex Mo Pads can make a GIANT difference in monitoring, for a very low price. They help you angle the speakers for optimal direction towards your ears, and they decouple from your desk.

If you don't already have a backup hard drive, go buy one and get into the habit of backing up all of your work. This is not optional. You will lose everything. Back up.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Oct 27, 2014,
Quote by Sid McCall
Rokits are great. I agree with everything above, if you spend enough time with any monitors then you will be able to mix clearly on them. I have the money to upgrade mine, but I can't bring myself to do it because of the time commitment to learning a new response. It will be a small setback in my current workflow, so that purchase is being put off until I have more time to learn new monitors.

If you have a little extra cash, going out and getting some Auralex Mo Pads can make a GIANT difference in monitoring, for a very low price. They help you angle the speakers for optimal direction towards your ears, and they decouple from your desk.

If you don't already have a backup hard drive, go buy one and get into the habit of backing up all of your work. This is not optional. You will lose everything. Back up

i have carbonite so i should be clear with that. but that is an EXCELLENT piece of advice.

what will i need for cables from interface to speaker? and anything else?

i have an older but very good sennheiser headphones, i think i paid like $120 for them or something. work wonderfully.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have carbonite so i should be clear with that. but that is an EXCELLENT piece of advice.

what will i need for cables from interface to speaker? and anything else?

i have an older but very good sennheiser headphones, i think i paid like $120 for them or something. work wonderfully.

You'll want to connect with balanced cables, something you probably don't already have. The interface is 1/4" out, and the monitors take XLR in. Go get balanced 1/4" male to XLR female, usually 3-5 feet is all you need.

Edit: looked up carbonite, seems neat. I'd still recommend buying a $100 portable USB HD to back up only your sessions onto once things start getting serious. You can't be too careful! I came very very close to losing everything when a backup hard drive failed right after my main HD failed - luckily it squeezed the last bit of data out onto my new drive with its last breath, otherwise I'd have been screwed. Sounds like you're good for now, but keep an eye open for a good WD or Seagate sale and snag an extra backup source for cheap.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Oct 27, 2014,
Quote by Sid McCall
You'll want to connect with balanced cables, something you probably don't already have. The interface is 1/4" out, and the monitors take XLR in. Go get balanced 1/4" male to XLR female, usually 3-5 feet is all you need.

Edit: looked up carbonite, seems neat. I'd still recommend buying a $100 portable USB HD to back up only your sessions onto once things start getting serious. You can't be too careful! I came very very close to losing everything when a backup hard drive failed right after my main HD failed - luckily it squeezed the last bit of data out onto my new drive with its last breath, otherwise I'd have been screwed. Sounds like you're good for now, but keep an eye open for a good WD or Seagate sale and snag an extra backup source for cheap.

could you give me a direct link to that cable? this is where my inexperience shows. do i need speaker cabels like you would use from a guitar head to cab, or not? do i need two of these cables?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do i need speaker cabels like you would use from a guitar head to cab, or not?
You need cables with big cores for connecting a power amp to a speaker cabinet because a lot of power is coming out of the power amp.

These though are active monitors, meaning they have built in power amps and they take line signals, which are pretty low power signals.

So you simply need good quality shielded cables.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do i need two of these cables?
Yep, one per monitor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
You need cables with big cores for connecting a power amp to a speaker cabinet because a lot of power is coming out of the power amp.

These though are active monitors, meaning they have built in power amps and they take line signals, which are pretty low power signals.

So you simply need good quality shielded cables.
Yep, one per monitor.

could you get me a direct link? i am sorry if i am being a pain in the ass, but i want to make sure i get what i need and not something that wouldn't work. or what would be best?

i am under the assumption that "1/4" male to XLR female," is what i need, right? accoding to Sid McCal, rght? (thanks sid).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
could you get me a direct link? i am sorry if i am being a pain in the ass, but i want to make sure i get what i need and not something that wouldn't work. or what would be best?

i am under the assumption that "1/4" male to XLR female," is what i need, right? accoding to Sid McCal, rght? (thanks sid).

Just go to the store and ask for that. If you're buying online, just type 'balanced cable' into the search and you'll see different options. Where are you planning on buying them?

Here, because I'm nice
http://www.sweetwater.com/c813--Balanced_Cables_XLR_to_TRS
TRS is the 1/4" side I mentioned (if you can't figure out the difference between male and female, well...just think about it for a minute)
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Oct 28, 2014,
Quote by Sid McCall
Just go to the store and ask for that. If you're buying online, just type 'balanced cable' into the search and you'll see different options. Where are you planning on buying them?

Here, because I'm nice
http://www.sweetwater.com/c813--Balanced_Cables_XLR_to_TRS
TRS is the 1/4" side I mentioned (if you can't figure out the difference between male and female, well...just think about it for a minute)

thanks. it is appreciated. i waas more thinking for what to spend on one. i get the male female thing

thanks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!