I have 3 guitars; an SG, a Destroyer and a Jackson Rhoads. All of them have 10s on them and as you'd expect the SG has less tension due to the shorter scale length. However the Destroyer and Rhoads have the same scale length but the tension on the Rhoads is noticeable tighter and not just for bends. The Jackson has a floyd rose (licensed) and the Ibanez has a tune-o-matic style bridge. Do floyd roses naturally give more tension or is there something else going on here?
Last edited by ThrashingDeath at Oct 27, 2014,
Not necessarily. It could be a number of things, really (I realise that's no help, and there are people here who know way more about this than I do).

How many springs are you using on the floyd? that can affect it (I think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the floyd sitting nice and level?
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Haha. ^ this guy beat me to it. Yeah, make sure the Floyd is set up right. Also, depending on how old that Jackson is, the "licensed" Floyd might be an unworkable piece of shit.
On a guitar with a Floyd, you have to bend more to reach the same pitch as you would with a hardtail. As you are bending you're pulling the trem forward so you need to compensate for the give in the bridge. So it might feel like more tension when it's really not.
Quote by J_W
On a guitar with a Floyd, you have to bend more to reach the same pitch as you would with a hardtail. As you are bending you're pulling the trem forward so you need to compensate for the give in the bridge. So it might feel like more tension when it's really not.

Puzzackly. You're pushing the string farther across the neck to get the same pitch in the bend. In doing so, you're likely also running into other strings and the process of pushing THEM aside (and the trem's butt end is rising even more because of that) is adding to the tension you're feeling.

My biggest issue going from 10's on a 25.5" scale guitar with a Floyd to a hard tail 24.75" guitar with the same strings is reminding myself how much less I have to push to get the same note in a bend.
Hahah yeah going to my SG means overbending for quite a bit.

The Floyd has three springs Dave_mc.

Even aside from bending I do feel there is more tension on the string when pushing it down but I can see the logic when you are fighting against springs instead of a fixed bridge. The floyd is pretty damn level and believe it or not isn't a piece of shit. I was expecting it might be as it's only licensed but even with mad divebombs it stays in tune perfectly.
^ Yeah. I'm never sure which feels worse to me... I know the argument about the floyd moving with the bending (as dspellman says) which means you have to bend it farther... but that doesn't really affect (that much) how it feels to bend. to me a trem often "gives" a bit (whereas a hardtail doesn't), so even though I might have to bend farther it actually sometimes feels easier.

Plus I mean you always hear that the length of string behind the saddle can affect how the strings feel to bend too (with hardtails, I mean).

I dunno.

How do you have the fine tuners set? I also find (could be my imagination) that if they're too tight that that affects how tight the thing feels (i think because of the whole string length behind the saddle thing, but I could well be wrong on that). I generally set them halfway, or even looser would be fine too (as dspellman will likely point out after this post).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They will be the same tension if set up and tuned right on the same scale hard tail
true, but that doesn't necessarily affect the resistance to bending, either. it takes the same force to bend to the same pitch, sure- but you have to overcome the string's resistance to bending (that might not be a technical term ) before you can bend the string, too.

I think. I'm sure I've read something along those lines posted by luthier types.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?