hello friends,
I've been looking for a preamp pedal, like the behringer tm300, the behringer gdi21, the sansamp tri ac and the sansamp gt2. won't be doing any stomping, the effect will remain ON, so neglecting the behringer's plastic exterior. suggest me regarding only sound.
regards.
By preamp pedal, do you mean something like this?
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
if youre looking for some high gain type of preamp sound, I suggest taking a look at the Wampler SLOstortion. By the gods that thing sounds like a real SLO.

But in all seriousness, you should probably look at upgrading your amp. A Laney LX20r is less than good for much imo. though I agree that the boss ds-1 sounds like turd, I think what makes it sound like more of a turd is a 20W solid state amp cranked at a gig. just my 2 cents.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
If you want a better live tone, get a better amp. A preamp pedal isn't probably going to make a small SS amp sound any better.
^ I second that.

What is it exactly that you're trying to achieve TS?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
but i use fender mustang iv OR marshall mg250dfx. But the output tone from the PA is different from the amp tone. i don't understand. a friend of mine suggested to get a preamp pedal. what am i missing?

i love cheatcodes

Both Fender Mustang and Marshall MG are SS amps that will probably suck live Do you mean that you want to run a preamp straight to the PA system? Or are you planning on using it with the amp on?
i was planning to try both after i got my hands on one. my friend uses the behringer gdi21 for distortion tones and a digitech bad monkey for solo boost into the fender twin reverb

i love cheatcodes

Quote by knight_shredder
but i use fender mustang iv OR marshall mg250dfx.
No, they don't take pedals well, the first one especially.

If you want a better tone you should get a new amp.
Quote by knight_shredder
But the output tone from the PA is different from the amp tone.
That's because what comes out of the amp is a highly modified sound coming out from the guitar, and bypassing the amp and especially the speaker (guitar speakers color the sound much) gives you a sound that's pretty different from what guitar amps sound like.

Running a distorted guitar through a PA system will sound fizzy, and you can't do anything about that.
Quote by knight_shredder
a friend of mine suggested to get a preamp pedal.
Well your friend needs to do some reading.

A pre would help you to shape your sound, much like an amp head, though you'd still be missing the cab part of the sound.

To sound like you're passing through an amp you need a cab simulator pedal if you want to go through a PA, or you need to mic up an amp.
As for the pedal, I personally like the A/DA GCS-2.

So no, a pre won't get you where you want.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Both Fender Mustang and Marshall MG are SS amps that will probably suck live
What difference does it make if they're played at home or live?

Also if ya ask me, the mustang is a nice amp.
The mg on the other end is a top down piece of crap.
Get rid of it and start saving up for a better amp TS.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 27, 2014,
Right, he's using a mustang IV, that's probably plenty loud enough for a gig. But if he could use the mustang, why does he need a preamp pedal anyway? TS, are you planning on playing metal or the like?
when my pedalboard is connected to the amp on stage, does the line out from the amp to the output speakers by-pass the amp settings. why does the DS-1 sound fizzy? should i mic then instead of line out? what type of amp should i upgrade to?

i love cheatcodes

No, it definitely should not bypass the amp. I'm not sure if I understand your setup, are you running a line out straight into a speaker or into a PA system? Or are you running the amp regularly with a speaker? Usually micing the amp is a better idea than to use a line out.

About what amp you should get, well, that depends on your budget and on what genres you want to play.
If the sound is harsh and very noisy the line out most likely lacks speaker emulation. When you are doing distortion it actually generates a lot of high and low frequency noise. Thing is that guitar speaker only produces frequencies from upper bass to lower treble, and rest is rolled off. Also the frequency response is far from flat so the result sounds pleasing.

PA system on the other hand is full range and closer to flat frequency response. Without guitar speaker or cab simulation it produces all the distortion noise in full glory and result is pretty much sounds like white noise with notes.

So you either need to start micing your rig or get some kind of cabinet simulation or IR loader between your line out and PA system.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Okay, I guess that should work fine with a modelling amp. I see no reason why it should bypass the settings.

EDIT: Except of course if you have no speaker simulation going on^

My two cents on this whole matter are that the Mustang IV is probably a fine amp for smaller gigs, but if you play metal music it might not fit your style. A preamp pedal wouldn't really help, unless you want to invest in a Line6 Pod HDx00 or a similar modelling unit. Another option is to get a better amp, and what amp you should get depends entirely on the money you're willing to spend and the genres you like to play.
Sounds to me like the following options are available to you:

1. Use the Mustang by itself. No pedals. No PA. Just the Mustang. You could use the Mustang to program some patches and maybe get a floor pedal to switch between them.
Seems like the cheapest option, but I know most people here aren't generally satisfied with the Mustang's high gain tones. You might be able to use the included software to get something you like.

2. Buy a decent tube amp with an effects loop. Play the tube amp through its own cab or buy a cab modeler and run it into that before you plug it into the PA

3. Buy a multi-effects pedal that includes cab models and run that directly into the PA.

On the "do not" side of things:
1. Do not use pedals in front of your Mustang
2. Do not go from amp directly to PA unless you have a cab modeler.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Oct 27, 2014,
i'll definitely experiment more into amp micing live. also probably replace the DS-1 and get a better amp.

i love cheatcodes

Quote by guitar/bass95

My two cents on this whole matter are that the Mustang IV is probably a fine amp for smaller gigs, but if you play metal music it might not fit your style. A preamp pedal wouldn't really help, unless you want to invest in a Line6 Pod HDx00 or a similar modelling unit. Another option is to get a better amp, and what amp you should get depends entirely on the money you're willing to spend and the genres you like to play.

I also vote for a Pod, either the bean with stomp pedal or straight out live version. If you want something that you can connect directly to the PA system without a hassle and want tons of different amps, effect and cab sounds to tinker with Pod is the cheapest and best way to go. And they sound pretty good too, considering how much less of a chore it is to carry around compared to actual full size combo amp or halfstack.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
one more thing. if you have a mustang 4, then you should get a good if not decent metal tone straight from the amp. the metal 2000 model is really good. If your running the ds-1 through an distorted model like the metal 2000 or similar, its pretty much a given that the tone will turn into turd. Also I dont think you have to mic the amp to a PA, the amp is 150W.

If you insist on upgrading, then the POD HD500X is a great choice for live PA setups as well as recording. Its got just about every tone youll ever need. If you want a tube amp, depending on the venue, you dont really need an extremely loud amp or PA setup. Some 15W amps have been known to shake walls at a pub. Rob Chapman toured a 15W dark terror for a while.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
If it was that easy and cheap don't you think we'd all do that? If you want to go directly into the PA you need something that will produce a sound good enough to do that. It needs to simulate not just a preamp, but also a power amp and a speaker. All of those things have a large effect on the sound.
So your options are either to get something like a Pod or an AxeFX or a better amp and stick a mike in front of it. Both setups have pros and cons. Bottom line - you need to spend more money. Behringer stuff is total crap and not worth two cents. My advice is to buy the best Pod you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification