Should I get one of these?

Does it kill any low end chugging?

I play with a highly distorted amp so this might be my favorite new pedal or a piece of trash to my pedal chain. I can't have it kill any low end tone since I'm very picky about it being thumpy and huge. Do you guys use it infront of the amp or the FX loop? How well does it work?
It's most definitely one of the best pedals I've ever bought. All you have to do is plug it in (I use mine in front) and find the sweet spot on the dial to kill the unwanted noise while still keeping your tone to suit your rig. I was skeptical about noise gates for the longest too but I highly recommend you pull the trigger on it.
They make staccato riffs and breakdowns cleaner too.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Should you get one? If you have a noise problem, yes.
Does it kill low end chugging? It's very good at isolating just unwanted noise in the signal, it's pretty transparent and effective.
FX Loop or front? I use it in the loop, it could be different for you, but in most cases, I'd say that's where it can best utilised.
How well does it work? See two answers above.
Quote by TylerKSchrute
Should I get the Decimator ii or one

For what it's worth, I've owned a version I and a version II, and they were both the G-String versions. I thought the version II cleaned up noise more effectively, but there are tons of confounds in my anecdotal claim, and I didn't get a chance to A/B them- I bought the II because my version I broke (by no fault of the manufacturer).
And I have a regular plain old version I and it works fine for me. All of them are quality products. Not one I think is better than the other, they just have slightly different applications.
It's not good if you use a lot of delays or reverb, or play cleans a lot. But for heavier stuff it do the job quite well.
it's pretty good

I've only tried version I

you can use it either in the loop or out front, if you can be bothered you should try both and see which you prefer. in the loop cuts more overall noise, in front maybe feels a little more natural (which is the entirely subjective, probably not A/B-ed and possibly psychological feeling I got from trying it both places).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Paroxysm
It's not good if you use a lot of delays or reverb, or play cleans a lot. But for heavier stuff it do the job quite well.

Are you sure you're doing it right? Do you have the delay and reverb after the noise suppressor?

It works just fine for me as someone who plays mostly clean.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's pretty good

I've only tried version I

you can use it either in the loop or out front, if you can be bothered you should try both and see which you prefer. in the loop cuts more overall noise, in front maybe feels a little more natural (which is the entirely subjective, probably not A/B-ed and possibly psychological feeling I got from trying it both places).

Right now in my loop I'm running an mxr 10 band and a Boss Hm-2 so I think in the loop may be my only option to cut down on the hm-2's feedback in the loop.

I just don't know if the decimator ii is worth the couple extra bucks.
I have no idea

is there any reason why you have the hm2 in the loop? normally you run distortions in front of the amp (though there are some reasons why you might want to have it in the loop too, I suppose).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, I saw him post yesterday in another thread about his loop setup. Chasing a certain tone I guess since 1 or 2 others said they do the same. In that case running the gate in the loop would probably be the best idea. Get the decimator II and tell me how it is!
I love mine. Use it all the time. Personally I use mine up front, AFTER my distortion pedal into my Fender. I always used it in the loop with my 6505+. When you aren't using tons of gain, I found that up front works just fine. Cuts the signal before it even hits the amp. Most of the time, less gain is more. I don't need tons of gain to get the chugga chuggas on a Triple Rec of 6505+, but I can't crank the gain on the Fender HRD and expect the djents ya know? Buy it used, if you hate it, it'll sell like hot cakes on amazon.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
I love mine. Use it all the time. Personally I use mine up front, AFTER my distortion pedal into my Fender. I always used it in the loop with my 6505+. When you aren't using tons of gain, I found that up front works just fine. Cuts the signal before it even hits the amp. Most of the time, less gain is more. I don't need tons of gain to get the chugga chuggas on a Triple Rec of 6505+, but I can't crank the gain on the Fender HRD and expect the djents ya know? Buy it used, if you hate it, it'll sell like hot cakes on amazon.

I bought the decimator one. Saw a great deal on ebay for a used one. 79 bucks shipped.

I'll be testing it in front and in the FX loop as well. thanks for the input!
Quote by JBailey23
Dave, I saw him post yesterday in another thread about his loop setup. Chasing a certain tone I guess since 1 or 2 others said they do the same. In that case running the gate in the loop would probably be the best idea. Get the decimator II and tell me how it is!

Thanks Yeah I figured there must be a reason for it