I'm looking for a new neck humbucker to replace the stock one in my Gibson SG. I'm not looking for anything half-assed, I want a quality pickup that will get a true and organic sound. Gibson sg's are made of Mahogany wood, so I know they sound slightly darker than other woods. I can liken my favorite guitar sounds to that of The Dirty Projectors, Vampire Weekend and The Beatles. I am especially fond of Ezra Koenig's guitar sound. Basically anything that sounds as organic and true as a guitar can possibly sound. I believe this is the best I can describe the sound I'm hoping for.
Last edited by andersondb7 at Oct 28, 2014,
I think that there is a basic conflict between "true and organic" and humbucker, at least in standard series-wiring. To get close IMO you want something uncovered and vintage output, like an SD Jazz, and I would add series/single/parallel switching for good meaure. I have a very dark-sounding 335 knockoff with SD Jazz to brighten it up, with s/s/p switching to get a more single-coil-like tone; I can get an acoustic-like tone out of it through my very bright amp.

Here are the SD vintage output humbuckers:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/index.php?page=2

The amp has aan awful lot do with it. What are you using?
Thanks for the feedback, bruh. I play a Vox AC15 2x12 (its a new model, basically a hybrid, a 15 watt but with 2 speakers instead of just one). I'm more than happy with the amp, so now I'm ready to customize my guitar. I noticed the pickups in it sound a tad muddy, and I've already spent hours and days and weeks and months tampering with EQ on the Vox. It sounds beautiful now, but i just don't think the pickups are clear enough, they seem bogged down. I've looked at the SD Jazz and it looks great. I just wanted to post a thread before i made a choice, get some varying opinions and stuff. Just learn as much as possible before switching out the pickup. You have a good point about the vintage ones, from what I've read myself, they seem to be well loved. Thx again for the feedback.

Oh and I totally agree that it would seem strange to think a humbucker could be as harmonious as a single coil would, but seeing as I also like to play with distortion at times I can only hope to find a Humbucker that will get close to that sound.
Last edited by andersondb7 at Oct 27, 2014,
Look at the SD 59, Tesla OPUS and RailHammer HyperVintage among the non-boutique pickups. If you're willing to spend a bit more, check out the offerings from Vintage Vibe, TV Jones, Lollar, Rio Grande and The Creamery.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 27, 2014,
You might also look at HB-sized P90s. They might give you the right combination of sweet & crunch you want.

Besides looking at those offered by the makers I mentioned above, I'd also take a hard look at the Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I suggest a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates neck pickup. Through your vox it would sound awesome.[
thx shanshan, I'll be sure to read up on it.

If anyone else has anything to add, then the more the merrier. I wanna get as much info as possible before I pick one.
Quote by andersondb7
thx shanshan, I'll be sure to read up on it.

If anyone else has anything to add, then the more the merrier. I wanna get as much info as possible before I pick one.

Check out the SD tone comparison charts and sound bites, which can also be compared. I found both of these helpful. Also I would be giving serious thought to using series/single or series/parallel switching if you want a brighter, more acoustic-like sound.
My first thought was the Pearly gates but the P90 idea isn't a bad one. I do love me some P90's though so I'm a bit biased.
Two options on that front that I'd consider:
http://riograndepickups.com/scart/ProductPage.asp?ImageLink=DHHB&ProductName=For+Humbuckings
I have the single Dirty Harry in one of my teles and it is remarkably close to a real P90 for a s/c sized pup. This one is two of them stuck together so you can run them as a humbucker or as a normal Dirty Harry. I haven't tried one but I'd like to. They'd just have to be a good thing.
Or:
http://riograndepickups.com/scart/ProductPage.asp?ImageLink=FBSB&ProductName=For+P-90s
This is a P90 in a humbucker housing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by shanshan17
I suggest a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates neck pickup. Through your vox it would sound awesome.[

This was my first thought.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify