Hello. I know how to palm mute and everything. But sometimes it is hard to totally silence the strings that you aren't using.

Here recently, I put three small pieces of packing tape on the top four strings of the guitar while I was playing a riff on the E and A. It made it sound even cleaner.

But I didn't putting tape on my guitar obviously. Any other suggestions? I don't have anyone else to put his/her fingers gently over the strings that I'm not using as I've heard that people sometimes do in the studio.

Thanks.
In the studio you do whatever you can to get the track as close to perfect as possible as quickly as possible since that shit is expensive.

Otherwise, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

You just have to get better at playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Pretty much what Zaphod says. Recording in a studio is fine, but when you're practising you should never use a string dampener as you're essentially just cheating yourself.
My technique is pretty good, actually. I am more interested in what people do in the studio to get it as clean as possible.

Has anyone else tried to artificially mute strings like I did? Again, it worked quite well. It's just that I didn't like putting tape on my guitar strings.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Quote by selftaught1000
My technique is pretty good, actually. I am more interested in what people do in the studio to get it as clean as possible.

Has anyone else tried to artificially mute strings like I did? Again, it worked quite well. It's just that I didn't like putting tape on my guitar strings.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps

Those. Loads of pros are using them these days; well respected players. Definitely worth looking in to if it's going to be something you use a lot.

If it's only going to be for one or two things then you can get away with just tying a sock around the neck at the right point. Preferably clean, or you might as well just use tape
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps

Those. Loads of pros are using them these days; well respected players. Definitely worth looking in to if it's going to be something you use a lot.

If it's only going to be for one or two things then you can get away with just tying a sock around the neck at the right point. Preferably clean, or you might as well just use tape

That seems to cover all of the strings. But I wouldn't want the top two strings, for instance, muted if I'm playing them, right?
Quote by selftaught1000
That seems to cover all of the strings. But I wouldn't want the top two strings, for instance, muted if I'm playing them, right?

Depends what you're doing really. If you're using open strings a lot then you're either going to have to tape or get better at playing. If you're not using open strings then those, or the sock, will do exactly what you want. There's really not much of any other solution, there are no products that mute only certain strings so your only other solution is to actually remove those string, which isn't unheard of, Max Cavalera, among others, have been known to just take off strings they don't use both live and in the studio:

Taking strings off. That is a really interesting suggestion. A lot of work, but something I hadn't thought of. But, yes, I was using open strings in that part. Although I'll experiment w/ these two techniques--and any others people here suggest--and am going to continue to get better at playing quiet. I've found that recording has helped me w/ that a lot. Thanks.