Hello everyone,

I've been playing the electric guitar for 5 years for now, with a few numbers of hiatuses and brief breaks (due to school work).. I had never taken music as a serious hobby for myself, but my mind is starting to change now.

I want to invest in something that would last me a lifetime, not something like a beginner's guitar because why buy multiple times when you can just go big and never have to pay again?

Anyways, so here's my specs:

Budget: Maximum of $3000

Favorite artists: Steve Vai is my favorite, then comes Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen

Preferences: I prefer the traditional Gibson LP shapes, I do not know what neck profiles are... For brands, I'd prefer Fender or Gibson.. # of frets do not really matter for me

Pickups: I really have no idea what humbuckers or single coils do...

New or used: New

Location: Does not really matter, because most guitars in the country I'm living in have lotta guitars

Current gear: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-h-401fm-electric-guitar

Thank you for your time
"[...] because why buy multiple times when you can just go big and never have to pay again?"
Because no one guitar can truly do it all, and because tastes change over time. This is especially true if you aren't already taking it as a serious hobby. To strengthen that point, I don't know of any one guitar that can cover that much ground- Ibanez, Fender, and Gibson sounds in one guitar might just be damn well non-existent.

This is a big investment, so I'll ask you to strengthen your parameters because I don't think I can help you, given the information you've given thus far. Maybe bring down the desired sounds to a more specific sound(s), because your favourite artists land all over the spectrum, and find out what kind of pickups you want (given your favourite artists, I'd say humbuckers. Clapton could go either way depending on which era of Clapton's music you want to emulate). You should learn the difference anyway, since it's electric guitar elementary school and at five years of experience, you should definitely know this.

That's actually a pretty versatile guitar right there. In the right hands it should be capable of most of what you're asking for, except maybe the Hendrix & Clapton single coil stuff and the Vai/EVH whammy tricks.

What would you say is lacking in your current guitar?
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by othereffect

I want to invest in something that would last me a lifetime, not something like a beginner's guitar because why buy multiple times when you can just go big and never have to pay again?

Whether or not you buy more guitars & other gear will depend entirely upon your personality. Some guys buy one guitar and it lasts a career. Others buy a lot and have rooms full of stuff.* Still others buy & sell all the time owning only a few at a time, but many over their lifetimes.

Honestly, besides the excellent question Danustar asked already, I'd add the statement that you can find excellent, pro-quality guitars starting @$750. Which means you can get TWO guitars, a great amp, pedals, and so forth to make up a killer rig...

...and STILL not spend $3000.

* me
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 28, 2014,
Quote by Danustar
That's actually a pretty versatile guitar right there. In the right hands it should be capable of most of what you're asking for, except maybe the Hendrix & Clapton single coil stuff and the Vai/EVH whammy tricks.

You know, as much as I'm very embarrassed to say, I just thought my ESP LTD was not good enough and I thought I needed a higher quality guitar. I don't even know for SURE why I need a new guitar.

Do you think this guitar is good enough for a serious hobbyist?
Objectively, is it a great guitar? No.

But if it feels good in your hands, holds tune and sounds good (no fret buzz, etc.), then it's definitely good enough. There are gigging musicians who have supported themselves, a family, put a roof over their heads, and bought guitars that cost more than my car playing on gear most Americans could buy on a single paycheck.

Good gear helps you play well, but it is no substitute for talent and practice.

IOW, unless you have some kind of identifiable issue, you probably don't need to get a new guitar.

Now, if you WANT a new guitar, THAT is a different issue!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
But if it feels good in your hands, holds tune and sounds good (no fret buzz, etc.), then it's definitely good enough. There are gigging musicians who have supported themselves, a family, put a roof over their heads, and bought guitars that cost more than my car playing on gear most Americans could buy on a single paycheck.

Good gear helps you play well, but it is no substitute for talent and practice.

IOW, unless you have some kind of identifiable issue, you probably don't need to get a new guitar.

+3,1415

What isn't broken doesn't need to be fixed.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Danustar

Actually, you can make a coil split and have all the single coil you need...!

But you can't "fix" the lack of floating bridge, if you want one.

You said you prefer LP shapes, are you talking about the shape of the guitar or the neck profile? Because you can get an LP shaped with different neck profiles or sizes.

I, for one, am a sellout for thin neck, like on most Ibanez. But you might preffer a beefier neck like most Gibson or fender. The LTD usually has an "In between". I used to have a LTD MH-350 and I find the neck thicker than an Ibanez RG (Wizard Neck) but still slimmer than many.

I think the fisrt step would be to try different styles of neck in order to see which one you'd prefer. Then come back and we'll give you recommendation for the rest.

But, then, again, if you don't need a floating bridge, I'd advise to keep your current LTD and make a coil split for single coil use.
Last edited by t1mman at Oct 28, 2014,
Quote by othereffect
Hello everyone,

I've been playing the electric guitar for 5 years for now, with a few numbers of hiatuses and brief breaks (due to school work).. I had never taken music as a serious hobby for myself, but my mind is starting to change now.

Anyways, so here's my specs:

Budget: Maximum of $3000

Favorite artists: Steve Vai is my favorite, then comes Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen

Preferences: I prefer the traditional Gibson LP shapes, I do not know what neck profiles are... For brands, I'd prefer Fender or Gibson.. # of frets do not really matter for me

Pickups: I really have no idea what humbuckers or single coils do...

New or used: New

Location: Does not really matter, because most guitars in the country I'm living in have lotta guitars

Current gear: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-h-401fm-electric-guitar

Thank you for your time

If you don't know what Humbuckers or single coils do, you'd be a fool to spend $3000.00 on a guitar.
don't spend 3 grand if you don't know exactly what you want out of a guitar. as for buying a bunch of axes over time well there are some advantages. I've been playing for over 30 years and have been through a fair number of guitars. as time has gone by my needs have changed and my understanding of what I need has increased greatly. you should try a bunch of guitars with an open mind as you never know. one of my 2 main guitars is a BC Rich Eagle, not a guitar I ever even considered or thought about. came across it said hmmm... never played one tried it and discovered that it was a guitar I needed to own. it covers my LP/mahogany-maple needs and works better for me than a LP. the one and done concept is interesting but in the end kind of self defeating.
I don't know that one guitar will truly "do it all" but this one will come closer than anything else I know.

http://line6.com/jtv-59/
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin