I'm applying for a job right now (as a lab technician at a university) and one of the sections requires me to write a supporting statement as to my ability to contribute towards a sustainable outreach programme.

What is this? Please help me Pit I need a job.
Just write about how you believe in breaking down the barriers between ivory tower acadaemia and the community or something.

Basically, call their bluff and out meaningless-statement them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Maybe they want to interest poor people in science (outreach) but they don't it to cost anything (sustainable)?
Quote by ultimate-slash
Maybe they want to interest poor people in science (outreach) but they don't it to cost anything (sustainable)?

Yea, but they wanted to dress it up in management bullshit. Which is why I think the proper response is to make up buzzwords and litter the statement with them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
It's basically corporate doubletalk for a program aimed at helping someone outside of your workplace..

Good example is your local government doing recycling programs and stuff.

But as slapsy said, it's a pretty meaningless statement...be sure to include terms such as "Blue sky thinking" and "Synergy" when crafting your response
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
The uni will have various goals on how they can work in a more sustainable way. How can you contribute to achieving those, and helping other achieve them?

Like this stuff.

Thats how I'd take it anyway.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
But they also might want to be sustainable and not impact the environment as much (sustainable) and educate others on it (outreach)?

http://www.gre.ac.uk/sustain/about

Close, it means a program that lasts for a long time or lasts for an indefinite period on very little money or resourcing (sustainable), and impacts people outside of your immediate workplace (outreach)
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
It's basically corporate doubletalk for a program aimed at helping someone outside of your workplace..

Good example is your local government doing recycling programs and stuff.

But as slapsy said, it's a pretty meaningless statement...be sure to include terms such as "Blue sky thinking" and "Synergy" when crafting your response

He may also want to include "ideation" and "stakeholder".
Quote by Diemon Dave
Tell them pressure is your middle name.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I think outside the box too, can't forget that.

This is a useful skill. Many men forget that women have more than one erogenous zone.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by SMH07
Tell them pressure is your middle name.

"Success" is also my other middle name and I work well on my own and also as part of a team.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
He may also want to include "ideation" and "stakeholder".

Of course, but a potential employer will not even give your application a second glance without such clever terms as:

"Best practice"-(Actually asked the panel to define what they meant by the term "Best practice recruiting processes" in an interview once...got lots of 'um' and 'ah' type responses and some lame attempt at explaining it....I didn't get the job)

"Value-added"
Don't forget to talk about what you can "Bring to the table"

I work in Government....the useless buzzwords that get bandied about could fill a Library
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Oct 28, 2014,
"Why do you want this job?"

"Because capitalism forces me to sell my labour for money which can be exchanged for goods and services in order to survive."
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Of course, but a potential employer will not even give your application a second glance without such clever terms as:

"Best practice"-(Actually asked the panel to define what they meant by the term "Best practice recruiting processes" in an interview once...got lots of 'um' and 'ah' type responses and some lame attempt at explaining it....I didn't get the job)

"Value-added"
Don't forget to talk about what you can "Bring to the table"

I work in Government....the useless buzzwords that get bandied about could fill a Library

I get annual updates from my brother, when the company he works for (in software, rhymes with gahdobe) has their conference, and he has to sit through sessions of what he describes as "brain-meltingly meaningless crap", that generally take 2 hours of verbal diarrhoea to transmit about 15 minutes worth of vaguely useful, if not new, information.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I get annual updates from my brother, when the company he works for (in software, rhymes with gahdobe) has their conference, and he has to sit through sessions of what he describes as "brain-meltingly meaningless crap", that generally take 2 hours of verbal diarrhoea to transmit about 15 minutes worth of vaguely useful, if not new, information.

Ahhh, I know that feel.....we deal with a lot of external services (I work at a courthouse) who have no idea how the court processes work, so they decide instead of asking, they try and puff their chests and talk like they're on Law & Order.....wastes my time and makes them look stupid when I can summarise their paragraph of words into one sentence......
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by slapsymcdougal
(in software, rhymes with gahdobe)

I'm sorry, but according to rhymezone.com, nothing rhymes with that.
Quote by ultimate-slash
I'm sorry, but according to rhymezone.com, nothing rhymes with that.

What if I Photoshop it? Might that give you a hint?
Quote by Diemon Dave
"A flexible, enthusiastic and proactive attitude to working with a range of colleagues "

How the hell do I answer this?

Yes I am flexible and proactive and enjoy working with lots of different people.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
"A flexible, enthusiastic and proactive attitude to working with a range of colleagues "

Yes I am flexible and proactive and enjoy working with lots of different people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NFX4fmldZFs#t=6

Something like this.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EndTheRapture51

That's not even a question.

Do these people even grammar?

Basically what you should do, is give an example of a time you've given exemplary service and worked well in a team.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by EndTheRapture51

You could come up with a story on how it's always important to have different perspectives of things. That's why you enjoy working with different people with varying personalities. You're constantly learning something new and by being open to different viewpoints you are certain that you can come up with the best solutions to any problem.

EDIT: I always found it great how these types of questions are basically begging you to come up with a BS story.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 28, 2014,
Quote by i_lovemetallica
That's not even a question.

Do these people even grammar?

Basically what you should do, is give an example of a time you've given exemplary service and worked well in a team.

It just says "supporting statement". I'll bullshit about how I worked with a range of people from different areas of science on my masters project.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It just says "supporting statement". I'll bullshit about how I worked with a range of people from different areas of science on my masters project.

Pretty much, but you need to provide a clear nexus between the key terms of the criteria (e.g. 'proactive') in your answer. It usually helps to slip in the key terms into your answers so the person reading it knows what you're on about.

For example:

"In my time working for the State Government, I have worked with a range of clients on a number of projects. Most recently I worked on project xxx, as part of my role xxx I took a proactive approach to this project by conducting a meeting with the key stakeholders to the project"....

Kinda like that

EDIT: Including key words or phrases in your answers also does two things:
1) It demonstrates you actually read the question
2) It allows you to keep yourself on track so you don't end up waffling on about irrelevant junk when structuring your answer
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Oct 28, 2014,
Quote by EndTheRapture51

"Because capitalism forces me to sell my labour for money which can be exchanged for goods and services in order to survive."

add "And I work well on a team" and you're golden
Quote by EndTheRapture51
But they also might want to be sustainable and not impact the environment as much (sustainable) and educate others on it (outreach)?

http://www.gre.ac.uk/sustain/about

then it should be a sustainability outreach programme.

sounds you will be working for some foreigner with poor language skills who tries to cover that fact with extensive buzzword use.

bail!
no they want to make it look like they're doing something for people but for it not to cost them anything
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Employers like a bit of humour and uniqueness in an interview so you should definitely come out with this. And hey if they're closet commies you've got the job.

I got asked all those generic team work/leader questions recently in an interview and was surprised at my ability to bullshit effectively on the spot.
Quote by Duffman123
Employers like a bit of humour and uniqueness in an interview so you should definitely come out with this. And hey if they're closet commies you've got the job.

I got asked all those generic team work/leader questions recently in an interview and was surprised at my ability to bullshit effectively on the spot.

I actually had a mock interview at a careers thing before I finished university and the guy said I was funny so I should let my comedic timing come through in interviews

No seriously for the next week I'm going to revise spectroscopy and sustainable outreach which are the two most weirdly polar subjects to be thinking of.

Got all my generic teamwork/leader questions down to a tee anyway.