First of all..hello. I'm a long-time reader and UG user, but not sure I've ever actually posted on here.

I'm curious what process/tools you guys use to keep track of music ideas.

If I'm playing around on guitar and come up with something I want to remember (for example, a riff or progression I might want to use in a song in the future), I usually open the Evernote app on my phone and record it. Evernote works ok for this I guess, but it's not great. I used to use Springpad, but then they shut down.

What do you use? Is there anything out there that really works well for this?
Last edited by dcg627 at Oct 28, 2014,
Evernote and Youtube is what i use. I keep my written material on evernote most of the time and my practice diary on youtube.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by dcg627
First of all..hello. I'm a long-time reader and UG user, but not sure I've ever actually posted on here.

I'm curious what process/tools you guys use to keep track of music ideas.

If I'm playing around on guitar and come up with something I want to remember (for example, a riff or progression I might want to use in a song in the future), I usually open the Evernote app on my phone and record it. Evernote works ok for this I guess, but it's not great. I used to use Springpad, but then they shut down.

What do you use? Is there anything out there that really works well for this?

I use an app called Irecorder

It's great because you are recording in two taps - one tap to open the app, the other tap to hit a huge "Record" button. The app doesn't force you to name the files either, which is great when banging out many quick recordings of takes - you can name them later. I chose this app because its the quickest and most efficient way to record an idea. Most other apps bog you down with options or settings etc., which is time wasted when you're trying to capture a great idea that could evaporate at any time!
Most smartphones have built in recorders you can use - failing that, just use the camera to shoot a video of yourself playing it.

For the best options for recording generally, there is a sticky over in the recordings forum that tells you everything you need to know.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I've come to the conclusion that the best way to write music or ideas is on tuxguitar/guitarpro whatever something like that. It might be a bit more difficult if you aren't familiar with transcribing music but it gets to be second nature and is especially good if you're writing music with other people as you can easily send them the exact music for them to add to or change or w/e.
TapeMachine

TapeMachine Lite

I recommend naming everything. I have probably about 500 such recordings. It's pretty rough if they are not named in any way. Rough enough even if they are. Which brings me to my second piece of advice, finish your ideas.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 29, 2014,
Quote by reverb66
I use an app called Irecorder

It's great because you are recording in two taps - one tap to open the app, the other tap to hit a huge "Record" button. The app doesn't force you to name the files either, which is great when banging out many quick recordings of takes - you can name them later. I chose this app because its the quickest and most efficient way to record an idea. Most other apps bog you down with options or settings etc., which is time wasted when you're trying to capture a great idea that could evaporate at any time!

Doesn't that app just save recordings on your phone though? If your phone crashes, you'll lose everything.
Quote by dcg627
Doesn't that app just save recordings on your phone though? If your phone crashes, you'll lose everything.

You can email yourself the files - which I do for the better ideas that I'm worried about losing.

Keep in mind, this is just for the immediate "eureka" moments where the idea is fresh and I need to record it immediately for fear of loosing the groove or the initial feel of an idea.

I record on Reaper with an interface etc. when I'm, actually getting serious about recording a tune. The Irecorder is just for quick recordings of new ideas.

To those of you who are transcribing their ideas through notation or apps etc., in my experience by the time you've sat down and started inputting information, you've already maybe lost the groove or the initial spark of the idea. That's why having something that is very quick to access is crucial. Sometimes the time it takes me to take an idea that I have in my head and play it on the guitar morphs and ruins the initial idea, so I've even started singing riffs into the phone before picking up the guitar, when they come to me that way.