I'm not satisfied with simply playing all the notes in the proper order anymore. I'd like to learn how to sound a bit more competent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqbPT391ucw

(Of course I also went back and listened to one of my first progress videos and that made me really cringe. )

I attempted to dial in a tone.
My progress seems very slow-paced and I'm not happy about that - I feel like many people learn 3x as fast as me - but I have a history of changing hobbies like I change my underwear and yet this is one that I've been able to stick with. Slow or not, I'm moving forward.
The video only lasts about a minute and a half.

That sounds not too bad. I've heard an awful lot worse (especially without any backing).

Your timing seems to be pretty good, so that's a good thing. A couple of little bits where you wandered very slightly (but that could well be that you just needed to practise the piece a little more, rather than a timing issue, which is much less serious).

Maybe try to accentuate the first beat in the bar a little more. That sort of drives the piece along a bit, and helps with the timing. You can overdo that and do more harm than good though, so bear that in mind.

Maybe concentrate on making the chord changes a little smoother. That's just practice I think. Again, that'll help the timing to be bang-on and will make things sound a bit more professional.

Same thing with the SCOM bit- if you try to keep your index finger planted at the 12th fret for the entire bit (until you have to move it for the next section at, IIRC, the 14th) that will sort of give the entire thing a bit more of a legato-ish/smoother feel which again sounds a bit more professional and less disjointed.

All of that is being hyper-critical, though. You seem to be doing pretty well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you for giving me some advice about things to work on, and double the thanks for being kind.

I'm planning to purchase a Zoom G3 which has rhythm tracks I'd like to use, but I'm clueless about how to use them.
Is it as simple as selecting a "rock" track for the rock n roll songs and then changing the tempo? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around playing with others, or playing with a rhythm machine in this case. I can count quarter, eighth and sixteenth notes but drummers seem to enjoy throwing in all kinds of cymbal crashes and slappity in-between stuff and I feel like I'm getting lost when I try to follow along with it.
How much time do you put into it? For a year or two I just played the same things over and over and didn't really progress much...thus I didn't play very much. The songs didn't really get any better either because I was just trying to play through things and would skip parts I couldn't play.
Quote by bigblockelectra
How much time do you put into it? For a year or two I just played the same things over and over and didn't really progress much...thus I didn't play very much. The songs didn't really get any better either because I was just trying to play through things and would skip parts I couldn't play.

Practice time is inconsistent. Some of that can't be helped because of my ADD and my two young kids. The kids are just kids - i don't mind the time spent caring for them.
The ADD is something i'm learning to deal with. It means i will occasionally plan to practice the guitar but spend the next two hours getting distracted by other hobbies instead.

But i do think i could use some more structure for the time I spend, and some advice about making my practice time productive. I have been in the rut you've just described. For a few months I was going back and forth between SCOM and Teen Spirit, getting frustrated and bored.
I think I need a song with some medium speed strumming and chord changes to add to my practice schedule. Something rhythm-ish I guess. Even a different genre perhaps? Something out of my comfort zone...

And I'm looking forward to practicing with a looper.
Quote by paul.housley.7
(a) Thank you for giving me some advice about things to work on, and double the thanks for being kind.

(b) I'm planning to purchase a Zoom G3 which has rhythm tracks I'd like to use, but I'm clueless about how to use them.
Is it as simple as selecting a "rock" track for the rock n roll songs and then changing the tempo? (c) I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around playing with others, or playing with a rhythm machine in this case. I can count quarter, eighth and sixteenth notes but drummers seem to enjoy throwing in all kinds of cymbal crashes and slappity in-between stuff and I feel like I'm getting lost when I try to follow along with it.

(a) No problem

(b) I have no clue about that hi-tech stuff EDIT: oh yeah I got a looper there a while back. I've used it about twice so far

(c) Yeah... I'm not sure. I played drums before guitar so it kind of comes second-nature to me. But I could see it being very off-putting for someone who doesn't play drums.

I guess if you practise to a straight-up (drum) rock beat, with no fills, maybe that would help?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 29, 2014,