Hi. I have to move to a new place to live soon and it's looking like a studio flat right in the centre of town amongst a lot of other rooms. It's a nice place but it's surrounded by people left, right, top and bottom. My problem is my amp. I have an orange or15 (15/7 watts) and a 112 cab which even with the vol and gain fairly low is going to be far louder than my neighbours will tolerate. It's a great sounding amp and I'm gutted to have to sell it but I was wondering if anyone could suggest something that may be more suitable. Here are a few ideas I have for the new amp. Note that headphones are out of the question for me and I don't have a computer to use a pod etc. here goes

I can potentially raise around £500 towards funding the amp
Tube amp preferred but would a solid state be more manageable? I'm not fussy
Variable wattage, preferably going from anywhere down to less than 1 watt.
Id like a decent clean amp as I have a fuzz pedal for filth
Head or combo. Possibly not an issue as I could keep the 112 cab, unless that would make too much racket.

Or how about a passive attenuator in the fx loop? I read tha an ehx signal pad placed in a serial wired fx loop (which the or15 has) acts like a master volume. Is this even worth trying?

Lots to consider here, thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out
Yamaha THR10
Fender Greta
ZT Lunchbox Jr
H&K Tubemeister 5

People will suggest Pods and the like I'm sure.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Vern1971
Hi. I have to move to a new place to live soon and it's looking like a studio flat right in the centre of town amongst a lot of other rooms. It's a nice place but it's surrounded by people left, right, top and bottom. My problem is my amp. I have an orange or15 (15/7 watts) and a 112 cab which even with the vol and gain fairly low is going to be far louder than my neighbours will tolerate. It's a great sounding amp and I'm gutted to have to sell it but I was wondering if anyone could suggest something that may be more suitable. Here are a few ideas I have for the new amp. Note that headphones are out of the question for me and I don't have a computer to use a pod etc. here goes

I can potentially raise around £500 towards funding the amp
Tube amp preferred but would a solid state be more manageable? I'm not fussy
Variable wattage, preferably going from anywhere down to less than 1 watt.
Id like a decent clean amp as I have a fuzz pedal for filth
Head or combo. Possibly not an issue as I could keep the 112 cab, unless that would make too much racket.

Or how about a passive attenuator in the fx loop? I read tha an ehx signal pad placed in a serial wired fx loop (which the or15 has) acts like a master volume. Is this even worth trying?

Lots to consider here, thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out

What are you trying to do with it? If it's just for practice then the answer is simple. Keep your Orange amp, come up with 100 bucks - pounds - you know what i mean, and buy yourself a solid state modeling amp just for practice.

If you need tone you'll still be able to get tone, but when you're just practicing the modeling amp will take care of your needs.
I've got a Roland Micro Cube. Vox makes a similar product.
I use a 20w amp in an urban apartment, I just use a boost pedal to bring the volume down. Sure its not the same as a cranked amp, but I get a pretty good, still responsive tone at tv volume. No need to buy anything but maybe a Bad Monkey/sd1/Soul Food if you don't already have some sorta boost pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Vern1971
Note that headphones are out of the question for me and I don't have a computer to use a pod etc. here goes

A pod doesn't require a computer.

I run a Pod HD into a pair of powered recording-style monitors (in my case, KRK Rokit 8's).
I have them on a set of Ultimate Support MS-90's that pretty much isolate them from the floor and walls, though a stack of cinderblocks with a piece of foam on the top with the speakers on the foam would do as well (though not looking as pretty).

Grab Meambobbo's Tone Guide (essential for gainiacs) http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup
which will help you properly set the Pod up (never assume you're going to rely on the user presets on a piece of modeling gear).

Smaller/different monitors will work, of course (these have 8" woofers, 1" tweeters and around 100W, divided 80/20, each). The power is used to make those 8" woofers produce bass that would make a 5-string bass proud, not to create enormous volume. You'll find that moving back to an amp with 12's will make you cranky after working with something capable of producing real lows.

At some point, you may to have to get familiar with headphones unless you completely soundproof your area. It's just a fact of life that some of those crackerbox places allow you to hear the guy above you scratch. And that means that he can hear you do the same.

Buy used -- Pod HD's have popped up here and there for $150 and under, and the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Rokits sold out for under $300 a pair when the new Gen 3's arrived in stores. Since the worst that happens to most recording monitors is that they collect dust and cat hair (they rarely get "gigged"), you'll be able to hear instantly if there's an issue.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 28, 2014,
All good advice thanks, in particular about the modelling amps and the h&k tubemiester. Any ideas about a good modelling amp, would one such as a line 6 spider which has a master volume suit my needs? Or in fact would an amp with a master volume be just what I need?

Dspellman, it's not that I don't want to use headphones, I can't use them. I oddly enough have a deformed inner ear which means when ever ive used them before it heats my ear up inside and I get infections, but thanks for the suggestions anyway. It's all helpfull.
Lucky1987' I don't have a boost pedal so I'm not sure what you mean. Surely a boost pedal boosts the volume, how can you use it like you suggest?
The yamaha thr10 is a popular modeling amp that i have never used myself. looks great though.

Roland cube and microcube
Vox valvetronix
Fender mustang
Peavey Vypyr
Line 6 Spyder

That's the list of most talked about modeling amps. Vox might be the best sounding overall but it won't get clean as well as the Fender or dirty as well as the Peavey. I like Roland myself. The Line 6 Spyder is generally not well-regarded.

You could also spend slightly more and get a hybrid modeling amp. A used Vyper tube is very nice for the price, and. Fender superchamp or vibrochamp xd/x2 can give you better tones than most of the other choices in this category.
Thanks paul, I'm liking the sound of a roland amp myself and will probably get one of them