Page 1 of 2
I play all sorts of modern metal, but mostly deathcore (suicide silence, like moths to flames etc.) Would the Bugera 333XL or 6262 a better option for me?
Well, Bugera 333XL is a Peavey JSX clone and 6262 is a Peavey 6505+ clone. Out of the two 6505 is more aggressive and brutal, but clean channel is bit meh. JSX can do modern metal easily though compared to 6505 its less aggressive BUT on the other hand its way more versatile.

Pick your poison really.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Up to that ^

I'd say 6262, though if you're in the US you may wanna save up a bit more and get the real thing - bugera's are pretty unreliable and I wouldn't gig with one without having a backup amp, and used 6505's aren't much more expensive in the US.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
MaaZeus, so what you're saying is the 6262 is a bit more agressive, but the 333XL is still agressive enough and has a better clean channel?
Quote by ltmcgrew
MaaZeus, so what you're saying is the 6262 is a bit more agressive, but the 333XL is still agressive enough and has a better clean channel?

Yes. Thats the gist of it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I used to have a 333 and it sounded great and had plenty of gain. Should probably put a tubescreamer in front of it to tighten up the tone a bit. I'm using a Trirec now and it's very versatile. I've never had any issue with the 333 or the Trirec, but I've heard of people having to do a tube change within 90 days.
Better a used Peavey than a new Bugera. Go hunting.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

yep. bugera quality control is all over the place. some people have had no issues, other people have had heaps of issues, some people claim the issues are over, other people are still having problems. the amount of bugera unreliability threads on this board make me feel uncomfortable in ever buying another bugera product (the reverb on my v55 crapped out - i returned it).
I have a 333xl, a xxx and a XXXII. Out of the 3 the xxx is the most aggressive with a pretty good clean. You can get massive amounts of gain and punch out of the xxx over the more refined XXXII. I bought the 333 as a backup and it sounds great but I just don't trust it for wide open volume gigging. I have a beat to shit dual rec I trust more. I've only heard a 6505 and love the tone but it is definitely one dimensional from what I've heard but very good as what it's meant for. I would even say the same in a sense for the xxx due to the gain structure being very aggressive on both crunch and lead. if I were you I would get a decent shaped used Peavey for sure. They are made well and usually not hard to troubleshoot. Plus the peavey forums have a couple experts over there that always are helpful. Good luck.
I've owned a JSX, 5150 212 and a 6505. Honestly you need to boost all of them for those tones. None of them will get there out of the box. The JSX can absolutely hang, but it's not a 6505. It's definitely different. Unless pristine cleans are a high priority, I would safely/confidently recommend a 6505+ to you for the bands you mentinoed.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

What Peavey would you recommend? I have a $500 max and need a cabinet as well.
Quote by ltmcgrew1
What Peavey would you recommend? I have a $500 max and need a cabinet as well.

6505+. Your budget is going to be the issue. I had the 6505+ combo and didn't think it held up to the head version. But that's just me though, maybe other people have a better opinion of the combo. I sold it and went to the Bugera 333 head.
Quote by ronhoward
I sold it and went to the Bugera 333 head.

Is the 333 able to handle djent/deathcore well? I have an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 Boost pedal that i would put in front of it.
Quote by Cathbard

+1. Picked up an old 5150 for $400 a few months ago. Traded it for a 5150 II since I prefer the separate EQs for clean and dirty.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
As suggested on the other post with your other screen name...get ya a good combo within your budget and get a good cab later....I chopped my 6505+ and use it with a 4x12 and it covers a verity of metal tones
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by ltmcgrew1
Is the 333 able to handle djent/deathcore well? I have an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 Boost pedal that i would put in front of it.

I've never went for a djent/deathcore tone. It had more gain than I really needed, and at that time we went pretty high gain. The clean channel is what made me pick it over a 6262. I don't want to sound like "that guy" but you probably just need to hit up as many guitar shops as you can. Try out whatever you can find.
Quote by ronhoward
The clean channel is what made me pick it over a 6262.

That's the main reason I'm leaning towards the 333 instead of the 6262. I play in a worship band on Sundays and will need cleans for that as well as some parts of other songs that have cleans in them and switch to leads.
Quote by teamscorpions
As suggested on the other post with your other screen name...get ya a good combo within your budget and get a good cab later....I chopped my 6505+ and use it with a 4x12 and it covers a verity of metal tones

How does your Peacetime Windsor handle modern metal?
Quote by ltmcgrew
That's the main reason I'm leaning towards the 333 instead of the 6262. I play in a worship band on Sundays and will need cleans for that as well as some parts of other songs that have cleans in them and switch to leads.

I found this on Youtube, maybe it'll help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Z3JzQ9au4

Just keep in mine the QC issues with Bugera. I've owned 2 heads and never had an issue. But there are plenty of horror stories out there. If you do get one, make sure it's from an authorized dealer so you have a warranty. Unless you can find a used one cheap.
Quote by ronhoward
I found this on Youtube, maybe it'll help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Z3JzQ9au4

Just keep in mine the QC issues with Bugera. I've owned 2 heads and never had an issue. But there are plenty of horror stories out there. If you do get one, make sure it's from an authorized dealer so you have a warranty. Unless you can find a used one cheap.

I've been doing a lot of research on Bugera heads and many people are saying that those horror stories are from the early production stages and have been solved. This is the 333XL I would most likely get: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-Used-Bugera-333XL-Head-W-412H-Cab-110638167-i4004297.gc
Quote by ltmcgrew
How does your Peacetime Windsor handle modern metal?

it's not good for modern metal...good for old school stuff
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by ltmcgrew
I've been doing a lot of research on Bugera heads and many people are saying that those horror stories are from the early production stages and have been solved.

Nope, current production stages still have problems but maybe not catching fire/up in flames/etc. type. The concern of the amp bricking up randomly is still very much present, so be aware of that when considering getting one. The infinum stuff is also not a step up in reliability. Warranty is cool thing to have, but if you end using it very often then the amount of time that the amp will be at a workbench will be more than the time you spend playing it, which isn't fun at all.
Quote by steven_ferns84
The infinum stuff is also not a step up in reliability.

I can deal with the reliability issues because I don't got a whole lot and right now I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 I could use should something happen to it.
Quote by teamscorpions
it's not good for modern metal...good for old school stuff

That's what I thought. Is the cabinet semi decent?
Quote by ltmcgrew
That's what I thought. Is the cabinet semi decent?

I'v never played through a Windsor cab...my cab I use most of the time is a old Peavey VTM cab that I bought for $50 on CL...it came with 12k-85's that sounded good but I put 12-75's & V30's in it just for my tone preference
As already stated, you're going to want a 5150/6505 or the Bugera equivalent. Unless you want cleans. I have a Bugera 333xl (jsx copy) and its a great amp. Good cleans, can do classic rock and if you push it with an od, can read death metal type stuff. However the 5150 series is just an unrelenting beast.

Think of it this way...

the 5150/6505/bugera equivalent is that 18 year old male with raging testosterone and just wants to go out there and tare everything to shreds with unrelenting force while not thinking of the consequences.

the 333xl/peavey JSX is a more mature male about the age of 30. He has gotten that rough stuff out of his system. He is still aggressive and holds value to his younger/ragier sell but is more refined.
Quote by dametalone
As already stated, you're going to want a 5150/6505 or the Bugera equivalent. Unless you want cleans. I have a Bugera 333xl (jsx copy) and its a great amp. Good cleans, can do classic rock and if you push it with an od, can read death metal type stuff. However the 5150 series is just an unrelenting beast.

Think of it this way...

the 5150/6505/bugera equivalent is that 18 year old male with raging testosterone and just wants to go out there and tare everything to shreds with unrelenting force while not thinking of the consequences.

the 333xl/peavey JSX is a more mature male about the age of 30. He has gotten that rough stuff out of his system. He is still aggressive and holds value to his younger/ragier sell but is more refined.

I think I'm going to go with the 333XL because I am getting a Maxon OD808 soon and I use the clean a lot.
Quote by ltmcgrew
I think I'm going to go with the 333XL because I am getting a Maxon OD808 soon and I use the clean a lot.

I hope you really like it because I do enjoy mine quite a bit. I also use the maxon od808 as well however, i really wanna try their od808x or the new seymour duncan 805 od.
Although word to the wise. There are some cheap cabs out there, but they are cheap for a reason. A cheap cab will make that amp, or any amp, sound like crap. Look for a decent used cab with celestion vintage 30s. You can find decent used ones on craigslist or check and see if there are facebook musicians groups near you.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Nope, current production stages still have problems but maybe not catching fire/up in flames/etc. type. The concern of the amp bricking up randomly is still very much present, so be aware of that when considering getting one. The infinum stuff is also not a step up in reliability. Warranty is cool thing to have, but if you end using it very often then the amount of time that the amp will be at a workbench will be more than the time you spend playing it, which isn't fun at all.

This
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This

If a company has a bad initial run of produces, their rep is tainted for a loooong time. Even when they step up quality control, someone hears about a newer one failing and they are all like "oh shit, i guess they didnt change anything. They must be still garbage". Truth is, amps break. Especially tube amps. The more complexity, the more chance of something going wrong. Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, Orange. All reputable brands are susceptible of failure.
Take it from a real gigging musician that owned a Bugera, Don't do it. Bugeras sound good, but are plagued with issues regardless of what people say. I do some amp work on the side and Bugeras literally suck. They are made with super cheap components that allot of the time do not match what the readings should be. That to me is a really big issue, When I can put a MM on a component that is soposed to be +- 3% and it is over 10+% out of what the specs call for makes me wary about them.

I understand that you want a good sound, but your playing music and you can not get good quality components for the amp at the price of a Bugera. A used Peavey 333/JSX/5150/6505 would be a much better and safer bet than a new Bugera.
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 29, 2014,
Quote by dametalone
If a company has a bad initial run of produces, their rep is tainted for a loooong time. Even when they step up quality control, someone hears about a newer one failing and they are all like "oh shit, i guess they didnt change anything. They must be still garbage". Truth is, amps break. Especially tube amps. The more complexity, the more chance of something going wrong. Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, Orange. All reputable brands are susceptible of failure.

That is true. Engl has had some troubles with shoddy construction (google it up), Laney Ironhearts have not been exactly bullet proof. But Bugera did have exceptionally bad start though and they still suffer from it but I think its also getting biiit overblown. Yeah they are cheap Behringer stuff and therefore quality is a huge concern and they definetly wont last +20 years a good Peavey would, but some people make it sound like there is a pandemy of Bugeras spontaneously disintegrating (no, the combustion is already fixed. ) in peoples homes. I really do not buy that.
Quote by MaaZeus
That is true. Engl has had some troubles with shoddy construction (google it up), Laney Ironhearts have not been exactly bullet proof. But Bugera did have exceptionally bad start though and they still suffer from it but I think its also getting biiit overblown. Yeah they are cheap Behringer stuff and therefore quality is a huge concern and they definetly wont last +20 years a good Peavey would, but some people make it sound like there is a pandemy of Bugeras spontaneously disintegrating (no, the combustion is already fixed. ) in peoples homes. I really do not buy that.

No the issues are not fixed, I have seen 3-4 Bugeras since the Infinium came out and the Infinium is what the problem is

I don't spread pandemic, you don't spread lies

Bugera quality sucks and always will suck. jet City has managed to make a decent quality product for a low cost (are they with out issues, NO, but they are much better than Bugera) Why cant anyone else?
You guys make good points. Normally I'm a forgive and forget kind of guy

Where I got bent and therefore will never recommend Bugera (outside of an occasional rec for the V22 ) is this.

True they corrected the plastic OT clip on the 333s. The problem is, they then came out with 'their' Infinium technology and things were supposed to get better. From what I've seen, the Infinium circuit has probably caused more problems than it has solved. So I started to keep a log of issues from Bugera users.

Then a Bugera Marketing exec came on UG and offered to answer questions and help users. He even sent PMs to myself and others stating he was here to help. Never did.

Then on Rig-Talk, several Bugera executives got involved in a thread and they flat out made straight face lies and could not back up any of their claims or refute any of our claims.

I'm tellin' ya man. I'm done.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1544990&page=2
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138566
Quote by Robbgnarly
No the issues are not fixed, I have seen 3-4 Bugeras since the Infinium came out and the Infinium is what the problem is

I don't spread pandemic, you don't spread lies

Bugera quality sucks and always will suck. jet City has managed to make a decent quality product for a low cost (are they with out issues, NO, but they are much better than Bugera) Why cant anyone else?

I meant the spontaneous combustion, as in suddenly going up in flames from the melting connector, is fixed. Not that they dont break now and then.
And I do remember that when Infinium was introduced more issues arose.

What I do advocate is know what you are getting into. Buying a cheap good sounding clone that may work just fine for decent amount of time or it may be a dud that develops issues fast. Its gambling and I am a hopeless gambler so take my opinions on this subject as you will.

But Jet City is a good point. They are cheap (especially in Europe, about same price as Bugera) and they seem to be rock solid. I do have hard time wrapping my head around how the hell they can do that and still stay profitable. China is a source of cheap labor but even that has limits. Usually when you want quality even Chinese labor gets more expensive.
Quote by MaaZeus
I meant the spontaneous combustion, as in suddenly going up in flames from the melting connector, is fixed. Not that they dont break now and then.
And I do remember that when Infinium was introduced more issues arose.

What I do advocate is know what you are getting into. Buying a cheap good sounding clone that may work just fine for decent amount of time or it may be a dud that develops issues fast. Its gambling and I am a hopeless gambler so take my opinions on this subject as you will.

But Jet City is a good point. They are cheap (especially in Europe, about same price as Bugera) and they seem to be rock solid. I do have hard time wrapping my head around how the hell they can do that and still stay profitable. China is a source of cheap labor but even that has limits. Usually when you want quality even Chinese labor gets more expensive.

OK, I read that in the wrong context

I figured you've been here long enough to know
Quote by dametalone
Although word to the wise. There are some cheap cabs out there, but they are cheap for a reason. A cheap cab will make that amp, or any amp, sound like crap. Look for a decent used cab with celestion vintage 30s. You can find decent used ones on craigslist or check and see if there are facebook musicians groups near you.

A lot of people overlook a good cab. It is definitely worth the money instead of just throwing in some cheap one.

But to the OP, I may suggest the 333 over the 333XL. From my understanding the built in noise gate is useless and there's not much of a difference tone wise. That'll save you a few bucks. Hopefully you don't get one that's DOA or has tubes burn out in a few months. Good luck.
Quote by Robbgnarly
OK, I read that in the wrong context

I figured you've been here long enough to know

My sense of humor can be... confusing. And probably funny only to me self.
Page 1 of 2