I have been playing for a couple of weeks and have made some progress in terms of learning basic chords and in a few other areas but the momentum is slowing as I am finding improving and honing further harder.

I am thinking about getting lessons as I have a busy schedule and I don't want to get frustrated by getting stuck.

Under these circumstances, would you recommend lessons? Have you had lessons? If so, do you think they helped you improve more than your own self-study/practice?
Quote by u6s68
I have been playing for a couple of weeks and have made some progress in terms of learning basic chords and in a few other areas but the momentum is slowing as I am finding improving and honing further harder.

I am thinking about getting lessons as I have a busy schedule and I don't want to get frustrated by getting stuck.

Under these circumstances, would you recommend lessons? Have you had lessons? If so, do you think they helped you improve more than your own self-study/practice?

Try something different.

You need to do something that appeals to you, but basically anything could work to refresh your interest. The first time i reached this plateau I added a few new songs, and then when I reached it again I added another batch of new songs.

You'll find that some of your songs will continue to be in your practice routine, but others will fade away. I used to practice Blackbird every time I played. Now I might give it a try once in a blue moon. That's okay though - because I can tell I'm not ready to come back to it yet.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Try something different.

You need to do something that appeals to you, but basically anything could work to refresh your interest. The first time i reached this plateau I added a few new songs, and then when I reached it again I added another batch of new songs.

You'll find that some of your songs will continue to be in your practice routine, but others will fade away. I used to practice Blackbird every time I played. Now I might give it a try once in a blue moon. That's okay though - because I can tell I'm not ready to come back to it yet.

To elaborate on this, you need to know yourself in terms of what's going to motivate you. Some people can sit there and practice very abstractly and that's great but most people will get bored of that really quickly and just lose interest. Playing music should be fun, and there are plenty of ways to improve and still have fun. That's not to say you should never look at abstract concepts and techniques, but maybe do that once a week.

If you're already really busy with other things in life, you probably aren't going to want to add in another scheduled thing you have to remember to go to and dedicate time to getting ready for and traveling to and from.

In my own personal experience, I did what you seem to be trying to do and just learn how to play from learning really easy covers and then progressing to really hard covers. Because when I started playing guitar at 14 I couldn't care less about being a good musician, I just wanted to have fun and play some songs. As I grew up I did approach it from a more theoretical aspect, and with the intention of learning the correct ways to do things that I didn't even realize were possible. And at that point I already had a few years of playing covers so I was comfortable with a guitar in my hands already.

Tldr: don't compare yourself to others' pace or what you think the correct pace to learn is, just have fun with it because from the sounds of it playing is more stress than fun for you. Try to find a song that you like and want to be able to play that's just above your skill level and try to learn that.
Last edited by bloodandempire at Oct 28, 2014,
make up your own songs.music lessons caost toomusch.save the money.once you learn chords etc.you can look online for any guitar lesson etc.music lessons just cost too much.hell I use to teach for like 2 dollars nd hour -cause I knew no one can afforf 30 dollars for an hour .