What plectrums do u favour for strumming? Usually I can't stop a plectrum spinning around or even flying out my hand, sometimes into the sound hole. How frustrating that is.
Dunlop Tortex "the wedge" .060
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Use a hole-punch to punch a hole through the center of a pick.

Also practice more. I still have the exact same problem but it's starting to improve for me. I'm starting to get a better feel for it. The more you strum the better your control will be.

I use the gators myself.
Winspear Picks

If you are talking acoustic, I like the Shiv XL Slimlines. Electric I use the Shiv IV. Things are indestructible and once you get used to the girth they are pretty hard to drop.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Jazz III Tortex for just about everything.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Fingers exclusively, except sometimes on the pedal steel.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I like the jazz III's, picked up a few of the JP jazz III's too, their nice if you like it slightly bigger.
George Dennis 1.05

They have a nice grip so the don't fly out from your hands as often. So far the most comfortable picks I've played!
Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton II
ESP LTD MH-1000FR
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Randall RH150G3 (and 412 cab)
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500
I like the thin fender celluloid picks (although they seem to shear near the tip easily unfortunately) and dunlop tortex .5mm. I really prefer thin picks some reason.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Planet Waves Black Ice, I prefer medium/0.8 mm for electric (much better for playing metulz but still not too thick) and light/0.55 mm for acoustic (sounds very pretty and easy to control the attack). I love them for literally everything, they're incredibly comfortable for single-note stuff but the smaller size also means strumming takes less effort for me. And the attack is not too bright which I enjoy very much.

I like the Dunlop Jazz III too, they are too thick for strumming imo, but they are very fun to use when playing metulz on electric.

tl;dr: I like smaller picks.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Oct 28, 2014,
I always come back to dunlop Tortex for it's superior grip. I find the yellow(.73mm) to have the perfect balance between flex and tension. I use it for anything i.e. acoustics, electrics, bass and its always comfortable.

I also like the green(.88mm) because its just stiff enough to allow for good control and bounce on the strings making it perfect for solo guitar and fast riffing. However, I don't like the stiffer picks when I'm playing acoustic instruments, but it's perfect for anything electric.

The third pick I love is the Dunlop Ultex model by James Hetfield, the Black Fang. It comes in three gauges(.73, .94, and 1.14). It's genius design considering its got extra pointed tip so it wears down slower than an ordinary pick. Plus the added length gives you superior control over the strings. What gauge you prefer is obviously up to you. The .94 seems to suit me best. I would highly recommend Black Fang especially for hard rock styles.

.73 Ultex Sharps.

Drilling a few holes into your pick will help with grip. Otherwise, you could work on your technique.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
for all my Electric stuff and my Acoustic Slide stuff I normally use the John Petrucci ULTEX Jazz III, or the Max Grip JazzIII.

for Acoustic its either Fingers or Dava Gel Picks.

I used to use the metal tipped ones on all my guitars, but I grew out of that sound (for now at least). The cool thing about DAVA's is that you can change the stiffness of the pick by how hard and where you hold it. Also they all (except for the nylon) have a nice textured rubber around the tip, so no matter if the tip is the gel material or if it's metal they all have a similar feel.

I've been meaning to get some more but I recently got a great deal on a bunch of the JP Jazz III's.

Really, in my opinion, everyone should have bunch of different kinds of picks, especially if you play a lot of acoustic.

-
b
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Oct 28, 2014,
I most often use my fingers, but I use a red Dunlop if I want to use a plectrum, I think it's 0.6 mm. Everyone I know uses thick picks and I've never been comfortable with anything else.
Man you all like thin picks

4mm or nothing.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I can't stand thick picks. I've tried all sorts of gauges but keep going back to .73.
I'm really liking the feel of the Ultex sharps, good compromise in shape between standard picks and Tortex sharps. They're a little more grippy than the Tortex too. It's all I use now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheStig1214
Man you all like thin picks

4mm or nothing.

That must sound like a bell or something. o_o
Quote by TheLiberation
That must sound like a bell or something. o_o

Well, with Winspears it's tapered. The Grip area is 4mm and it comes to a point. I have found no difference in tone vs a Jazz III.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Dunlop Jazz III 1.1mm. Although last time i bought them the tips werent sharp anymore, but rounded, so they were pretty much useless, so i hope they dont do that anymore...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I don't have any brand loyalty, and enjoy a variety of picks.

Among my favorites, I have a couple of discontinued copper Dunlop Hot Licks picks that I like, plus a few carbon fiber picks as well. I've been buying picks made of agate or jade for a few years, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 29, 2014,
I've been using a single 6 pack of Dunlop Ultex Jazz III picks for the past 3 years. Down to my last pointy one now. Most likely will buy another 6 pack since I like the durability and size of the picks.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Herco Silver 75

Later found out Jimmy Page used them
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Dunlop Gators. 2 mm. I use my soldering iron to create a gripping area on them.
When I first started playing I could only use thin picks. As my playing progressed I started using thicker and thicker picks and now it's harder for me to use thin ones.
Quote by andersondb7
I always come back to dunlop Tortex for it's superior grip. I find the yellow(.73mm) to have the perfect balance between flex and tension. I use it for anything i.e. acoustics, electrics, bass and its always comfortable.

I also like the green(.88mm) because its just stiff enough to allow for good control and bounce on the strings making it perfect for solo guitar and fast riffing. However, I don't like the stiffer picks when I'm playing acoustic instruments, but it's perfect for anything electric.

+3,1415
I use these two.

.73mm for playing classical/acoustic guitar and anything but high-gain metal on electric guitar.
.88mm for high-gain metal.
Quote by andersondb7

These.

For some reason the colours are making me hungry, especially the green one.
Quote by stringDIA
Dunlop Gators. 2 mm. I use my soldering iron to create a gripping area on them.
When I first started playing I could only use thin picks. As my playing progressed I started using thicker and thicker picks and now it's harder for me to use thin ones.

+1, except I use the blue 1.14s. I love the Gator Grips and have used them almost exclusively for a few years now, great picks. I recently bought a pack of cheaper picks that look the exact same as the gator grip picks, nope. Even old, tattered gator grips are still "grippier" than normal picks.
I guess the Ultex Sharp 1.14 is the closest I've come to liking a flat pick for guitar. I just started playing Irish tenor, and so I'm once again on that quest to find that elusive only moderately annoying flat pick.
I used to use only those:

Then, I found out that the flex of the pick was giving me a delay, so I got used to thoses for the lead/technical stuff

and used the .73 for more accoustic/rythm.
The more I played with the .96, the less I used the .73...
Now, I mostly use the .96, even for accoustic stuff, I guess I got more precise! When I need a more "soft tone", I use chicken picking or fingers alltogether!
I used to use Green and Blue Tortex but I just got into Fender Medium Celluloid Picks and I like them a lot better.