So I tried using sandpaper on the neck of the guitar, it worked for a minute and then it felt sticky again.

What's the best grit to satinisze a neck?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Seconded.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Thanks. I used like 400 grit and still it feels sticky after a few minutes. It feels really smooth right after I sand it but after that it gets pretty sticky again. It only feels smooth when I'm not putting too much pressure on it.
Quote by oneblackened
0000 steel wool works pretty well in my experience.

Bad idea, one of the guitars I did it to is a Variax and I don't want metal shavings going into the electronics.
Quote by Clay-man
Bad idea, one of the guitars I did it to is a Variax and I don't want metal shavings going into the electronics.

I suppose if you wanted to be safe, you could always wrap the body first in a plastic grocery sack or similar, lightly sand/buff the neck with the 0000 steel wool, then use a can of compressed air (like that used to clean out computer components) to blow any residue off the neck/headstock.
Quote by StarGeezerTim
I suppose if you wanted to be safe, you could always wrap the body first in a plastic grocery sack or similar, lightly sand/buff the neck with the 0000 steel wool, then use a can of compressed air (like that used to clean out computer components) to blow any residue off the neck/headstock.

Sounds good

The problem is that there's a hole in the pickguard where the neck bolts on to the body which leads directly into the electronics. Really stupid honestly. I had to clean it out a few times when working on the frets because I kept hearing alarming buzzing noises in the signal. Luckily that's been gone.
You can use some low-tack painter's masking tape on some of the smaller areas to keep particles from infiltrating into the electronics. The low-tack will peel off without leaving any sticky residue behind afterward.
Quote by StarGeezerTim

Yes. You tape over the pickups/any electronics you don't want to get little bits of metal in.

I also use 0000 steel wool to polish frets, if I don't have silly high grit sandpaper lying around.
0000 steel wool works best, masking tape to keep it out of pickups etc. Or masking tape and a sheet of plastic.