Hello, i´m new here.

I'm having troubles getting the "right way" to connect my pedals. I know there's more than one way to chain the pedals to the pedalboard but i really appreciate your help and your advises to get a nice sound and get the best of the effects. I´m getting conffused with all the inputs, outputs and sends...

My Equipment

Digital Delay
Flanger
Super Chorus
Noise Suppressor
Super Overdrive
Blues Driver
Tremolo
Wha
SKB Pedalboard

Guitar and amp.

Please help me, a get a lot of noise!
Attachments:
IMG_9371.JPG
Hello there & welcome! :-)

Good question, it's always very confusing at first, but here are some ways to get around the connections and make the whole thing sound a lot better!

1. THERE ARE NO RULES - meaning that you can connect your FX pedals in every possible way you like and from there experiment with the sound. But, by doing so there can occur some 'problems' along the way, ect. noise and loss of tone from some places. (By following step 2, below, there should be no problem.)

2. Most guitarist follow this signalflow when they want to hook up FX pedals:
Guitar --> Tuner --> Wah --> Compressor --> Overdrive / Distortion --> EQ --> Pitch (Vibrato, Octave, Pitch & Whammy) --> Modulation (Chorus, Phaser & Flangers) --> Volume-pedal & Noise Gate --> Delay --> Reverb --> Amp.

3. If your Amp has an 'Effectsloop' you can put your Pitch, Modulation, Delay & Reverb pedals in there. By doing so your Modulation effects and time based effects (Delay, Reverb) won't be mixed with the same signal that runs through all of your pedals. Most Modulation effects and time based effects often sounds best in the effectsloop.
Of course then you'll have to connect more cables, but it's easy.

That signal flow would be like this:
Guitar --> Tuner --> Wah --> Compressor --> Overdrive / Distortion --> EQ --> Volume-pedal & Noise Gate --> Amp.
<<Effectsloop send>> --> Pitch (Vibrato, Octave, Pitch) --> Modulation (Chorus, Phaser & Flangers) -->Delay --> Reverb --> <<Effectsloop return>>.

So if your Amp has an effectsloop you should arrange your pedals like this:
Guitar --> Wah --> SD-1 --> DB-2 --> Noise Gate --> Amp.
<< Amp Effectsloop send --> CH-1 --> Flanger --> Tremolo --> Delay --> Reverb --> << Amp Effectsloop return>>.

4.Without effectsloop:
With the FX pedals that you have shown on this picture I would arrange the pedals like this:
Guitar --> Wah --> SD-1 --> DB-2 --> CH-1 --> Flanger --> Noise Gate --> Tremolo --> Delay.

By doing so you should get rid of the noise. Of course your Noise gate should do some of the work too. Try for example to search around YouTube to get an explanation of how a Noise gate works.

Hope this helps, else you can ask again!

Good luck! (Y)
Probably will need some advice about connecting the noise suppressor, too.
Good advice from Pedalfreak. I like the way he laid it out. Just think about how each pedal effects the signal coming into it. As an example if you put your chorus before your overdrive, your overdrive would distort the clarity of your chorus. If your delay came before your flanger you'd be flanging your delay signal.

Nice set of pedals. You should get a good variety of sounds with them.
Thank you all!

Pedalfreak, I just connect input-output-input-output-input-output-input-output-input-output to every pedal? That's were i get confussed with the return, signal and so? I like number 4.

Thanks.
Yes you just connect output of one to the input of the next one. In general you want time based pedals to go in front of distortion based pedals. My pedal board is

Analog Delay>Phase Shifter>tuner>overdrive>distortion>volume pedal>A/B switch>amps, or both channels of the Super Reverb, whichever applies. I normally use the delay nonstop, others singly as needed. A/B sends it to the amp/channel I want.

Send/Return is usually how the effects loop is labeled. Send goes into the effect, return goes back into the amp.
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 29, 2014,
Yeah, Richmex, you just connect it like 'Guitar --> input of pedal --> output of pedal --> input og next pedal --> output' and so on, that's the way :-)
What I meant about the send/return was, that if you use an 'effectsloop' then your Modulation, Delay and Reverb should go in there. But if that's too confusing at the time, then just stick to number 4. That's a great way to connect pedals too! :-)
Let me hear how the whole thing sounds! :-)

Cheers!
what's your amp?

initial thoughts are that (a) the sd1 has a bit of bypass bleed at higher gain settings if it doesn't have a buffered pedal in front of it. so make sure one of the other boss pedals is in front of it in the fx chain (since that cures the bleed- apparently some sd1s are afflicted by this worse than others, but I thought it was pretty noticeable on mine) and (b) if that's a bog standard crybaby it has half-assed bypass which can suck tone- again, cured by having a buffered pedal in front of it.

the problem is that where a pedal is in the chain affects where it sounds, so that sort of complicates that (and is one of the reasons why dodgy bypass is annoying, it's not that hard to fix a lot of the time, but it can make you have to put pedals in weird orders to fix it, unless you just put a standalone buffer in the right place).

modulation effects (like the chorus and flanger) can go either in front of distortion (whether pedal or amp-based) which generally results in a more subtle, more natural sound, or after distortion which accentuates the effect. It just depends on what you want.

if your amp has an fx loop i'd use the ns2 in the x-pattern method- that way it should cut both guitar/pedal noise and amp noise.

you probably want the delay after the noise gate so the gate isn't cutting off the quieter repeats.

I would probably do

Guitar -> chorus (to cure the tone suck of the wah, and I wouldn't be using chorus at the same time as the wah ever, I don't think) -> wah -> flanger -> blues driver -> sd1 (you can put the bd2 or sd1 either way round... if you don't use them at the same time it doesn't matter which way round, if you do, try both and see which you prefer)-> tremolo -> delay

does your amp have a loop? I don't want to go to the bother of explaining how to hook up the ns2 if it doesn't
Dave MC, i have a Fender Princeton Chorus, and yes, it have Effect Loop Stereo and Mono... and also have the SKB pedal board... a scheme on how to connect my equipment would be very very appreciated....
Hi again Richmex.

I've looked at some pictures of your board, the SKB PS-25, and I can't seem to figure it out.
Though, I found this article, http://www.ehow.com/how_6585870_use-effects-loop-skb-ps_25.html
Maybe it will help. Because as far as I can see, there's two loops on the board, Loop 1 and Loop 2, and then there's the Loop 1 Amp/Guitar and Loop 2 Amp/Guitar.

BUT, the way I would do it, without even knowing the board entirely, would be like this:

Guitar --> Wah --> SD-1 --> DB-2 --> Noise Gate --> Amp.
<<Amp effectsloop send>> --> Chorus --> Flanger --> Tremolo --> Delay --> <<Amp effectsloop return>>

That should do the trick. At least that's what I tend to do.
Well, some of my pedalboards can't do all the stuff that the SKB can, but still, it should work.

If you're looking for a drawn scheme, try using Google to search for it.
Search for something like 'Pedal effects chain' , 'order of guitar pedals' or 'how to arrange guitar pedals'.

Please continue to ask questions if this is hard to understand.
^ As I said above, that's the usual way (if you like modulation after distortion), but it doesn't help with the tonesuck of the wah or the sd1. EDIT: that's also not how i'd connect the ns2, you normally need the pedals in its loop to be most effective (if you're not doing the x-pattern thing).

Quote by Richmex
Dave MC, i have a Fender Princeton Chorus, and yes, it have Effect Loop Stereo and Mono... and also have the SKB pedal board... a scheme on how to connect my equipment would be very very appreciated....

no worries

do you ever use the amp's distortion?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 31, 2014,
Yes, i use the amp distortion. Today i will make some test. Keep you posted.
Thanks
^ Ok, thanks

I would try:

Guitar -> NS2 input (the ns2 is buffered so that should fix the sd1 and wah tonesuck as well) -> cable from NS2 "send" to wah->chorus->flanger->BD2->SD1-> amp input.

then run an instrument cable from your amp's fx loop "send" jack socket to the NS2's "return" jack socket, run a patch cable from the NS2's "output" jack socket to the tremolo, then another cable to the delay, and finally a cable from the delay's output jack socket to your amp's fx loop return jack socket.

that should work. I think.

you have a few options, though, which might be worth trying if you can be bothered.

you can switch the order of the BD2 and SD1 if you wish. only really necessary if you run them both on together. might sound slightly different if you do.

if you prefer tremolo and/or delay in front of the amp, rather than in the loop, put them at the end of the chain of pedals going into the front of the amp. and only connect the ns2 to the fx loop (so an instrument cable going from the amp's fx loop "send" to the NS2's "return", and then another instrument cable from the NS2's "output" back to the amp's fx loop return socket).

if you prefer chorus and/or flanger in the fx loop, put them in front of the ns2 in the loop. I.e. run the cable from the amp's fx loop send socket to the chorus input, then a patch cable from chorus output to flanger input, then a patch cable to the NS2's "return" socket. And then after that the same setup as I described above. (Just to point out, I have the delay and tremolo after the NS2 so the NS2 doesn't cut off the repeats and the tremoloed notes.)
ah right your pedalboard has loops in it. and the amp has the option of mono and stereo loops.

this is kind of getting beyond my paygrade. I'm guessing you'd use the mono loop on your amp (but don't quote me on that). I'm not sure about the pedalboard thing, I just use a bog standard pedalboard which is basically just a case for the pedals.